Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM

157 posts, read 309,898 times

Advertisements

There are things I am enjoying about using this MAC versus my older PC - it's "crisp", it's fast, etc.

I am trying to get used to something though that I call a "bouncy" screen.

Web pages load quickly, but they don't seem "stable" as compared to my old PC.

What I mean by this is that I will download a new page, try to read it, scroll or something and then it slides right off the screen to the right....

I hardly ever used the keyboard mouse pad on my Dell, but I find now with the Mac, I use a combination of my peripheral mouse and the the keyboard mouse - is this typical?

Side bars for scrolling don't seem to either appear or load as quickly as the new page, so I find myself finishing a page and then unable to move quickly to the next page.

I realize these are not big problems to have, but when you have worked in a PC environment for years, it is a big change.

Also, minimizing and closing out of pages is different. I find I am always trying to move pages around to try to minimize or close out of them...

Again, just differences in design? or uninformed new user?

THanks, C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
You just have to learn how to use the trackpad. The instructions are found right on your Mac: at the bottom of the screen, click on the icon that looks like a gear (System Preferences), then look for "Trackpad" and click on it. Once you click on Trackpad, it shows you how to use it.

You don't have to move from page to page across the screen that way you are doing now. For example, if it's easier for you, on the left top corner of the browser, click on the arrow. There are several ways to accomplish the something; you just have to figure which one you prefer.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post

What I mean by this is that I will download a new page, try to read it, scroll or something and then it slides right off the screen to the right....

Side bars for scrolling don't seem to either appear or load as quickly as the new page, so I find myself finishing a page and then unable to move quickly to the next page.

Also, minimizing and closing out of pages is different. I find I am always trying to move pages around to try to minimize or close out of them...
I'm not sure what you mean, by the first question, do you mean the 'bounce' effect when you scroll to the bottom of the page? Or are you reading in minimised windows? Scroll bars can be turned on permanently (system preferences>general>show scroll bars>always)

Maximising and closing works differently on a mac. Icons are on the left, the close button only closes the window rather than shut down the application (to quit an application use cmd+Q), and 'maximise' (the green button) is actually 'zoom' this resizes the window to what the document needs rather than automatically full sizing everything. Full screen is the double arrow on the left of the window. Minimising however works the same as windows.

Like the previous poster stated it really helps to learn the trackpad gestures, in fact osx is built around these and is awkward to use without them.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
^^ double arrow on the right of the window

Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
You can set the scroll bars to always show. . .that's what I did, and it helped for some reason.

Go to System Preferences -> General and you'll see the choices. Fiddle around with it until
you find the config. which works best for you.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
You can set the scroll bars to always show. . .that's what I did, and it helped for some reason.

Go to System Preferences -> General and you'll see the choices. Fiddle around with it until
you find the config. which works best for you.
You are right. One think about the Mac is that you can set it the way you want, and there are numerous ways to do so.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
Quote:
Again, just differences in design? or uninformed new user?
You must, must look at the tutorial for trackpad gestures. For example, there is absolutely no need to use the sidebar for scrolling (which is why it disappears). Two fingers up or down scrolls anywhere on any page you’re on: web, Word document, etc.

You also must set the “tap to click” feature. It’s not the default and many people don’t know it exists.

The trackpad takes a week or two to get used to, but after that it’s so ergonomic and quick that you’ll never want to a mouse again. It’s much easier on your hand and you won’t get carpal tunnel because there’s no impact from the gestures.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
If you’re near an Apple store I strongly recommend taking the free training, especially on OS X. I’m a power user: 39 years old and have never owned a non-Apple computer starting with an Apple IIe back in the early 80s.

With all that experience I still find the classes extremely useful. There’s tons of functionality built into the operating system that most users don’t know about.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
Quote:
There are things I am enjoying about using this MAC versus my older PC - it's "crisp", it's fast, etc.

I am trying to get used to something though that I call a "bouncy" screen.

Web pages load quickly, but they don't seem "stable" as compared to my old PC.

What I mean by this is that I will download a new page, try to read it, scroll or something and then it slides right off the screen to the right....THanks, C
I think you might be experiencing "Spaces" when the page slides off the screen. There are ways to stop that. Look here and then do some searches for your OS X system
Mac 101: Using Spaces to organize your windows and applications (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)

Also what browser are you using? I am finding Google Chrome to be the one I like most with Mac now.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
The only thing I like about Mac laptops are their retina display of very high resolution and their 16:10 aspect ratio. Otherwise I would use a Mac because I use a lot of PC software that would run in a Mac. SO I need a PC laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers