Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

Ok, it's locking up then, not an easy thing to track down, have you made any changes lately? New software or drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Dave,
I usually have to push/hold the power button on the tower for about about 3 seconds for it to shut off. Then I wait about 5 seconds, push it once and it starts up but takes a little bit of time to get up into full running mode.
If you're pushing the power button for 3 or more seconds then it is not functioning right. It should be a half second or less push to wake it up. Your holding it down for so many seconds is actually powering off the computer, not putting it to sleep.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you're pushing the power button for 3 or more seconds then it is not functioning right. It should be a half second or less push to wake it up. Your holding it down for so many seconds is actually powering off the computer, not putting it to sleep.
She's not holding it down to wake the computer, read the OP, she's holding it down to power it off because it's locked up.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Dave,
I usually have to push/hold the power button on the tower for about about 3 seconds for it to shut off. Then I wait about 5 seconds, push it once and it starts up but takes a little bit of time to get up into full running mode.

So when moving the mouse doesn't wake up the computer, you go to hold down the power button?

What happens if, instead of pushing the power button, you hit any key on the keybd? Will that wake the computer up?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Dave,
Have you check if it is hibernating versus standby? Are there any lights on the computer while it is asleep?

1) Before you go to bed tonight, reboot your computer and don't log in. Tomorrow morning , see if the mouse wakes it up. If it works go to 2)

2) Before you go to bed reboot, log in, don't use any application and go to bed, see if the mouse wakes it up in the morning.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
She's not holding it down to wake the computer, read the OP, she's holding it down to power it off because it's locked up.
I guess I''m confused. I thought the question was how to wake up the computer. I don't know where it changed to powering down due to lock up.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I guess I''m confused. I thought the question was how to wake up the computer. I don't know where it changed to powering down due to lock up.
No, the question was why it suddenly WON'T wake when it did before.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No, the question was why it suddenly WON'T wake when it did before.
Semantics!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Dave,
You're doing this after the computer has locked up? That is not how you want to shut the computer down unless there is no other option. You want to use Start>shut down when you can. Using the power button to shut down is why it takes longer to start up. The computer is sorting through the mess you left on the desk when you did the abrupt shutdown.

Quote:
The three seconds is for shut down after a lock up. I think.

My old PC needs at least a one second push to start up. I hear a particular click, then it will continue. If I release the power button before that click, it will instantly turn off.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Dave,
Have you ever tried to press the keyboard keys to see if it wakes up the monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers