Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 PM

113 posts, read 619,571 times

Advertisements

Right now on my computer running about 3 websites. I am at....
58% used physical memory
I am using windows media player usually, and I am really good about keeping the computer up to date. Java, windows, norton, pretty much all that. I usually run ccleaner about once a month. And will run defragler about once a month as well to keep the computer running good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
If you are not playing modern games the intel haswell processors include integrated graphics that are more than enough for your needs on a laptop. For a real gaming rig I never recommend laptops, a true PC gamer should be building a desktop for that purpose. I myself use my gaming rig as a HTPC and it's hooked up to my 60 inch using a Geforce GTX 670 or something like that.

Just make sure you have 6-8GB of RAM (8 preferred) in any system you buy, and with a good i5 (or i7) processor that has the HD-4600 graphics, meaning it's the latest generation, you won't really have to worry about things being slow from simple youtube videos are browsing multiple sites, google maps, or even older games like Half Life 2 or GTA San Andreas. Integrated graphics have come quite a ways and processor speed relative to power usage has made some nice gains as well the last few years.

After doing more digging it amazes me just how much the HD-4600 integrated graphics can run...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...aphics-tested/

You'd benefit far more from having a solid state drive on your system than a discrete graphics card. Also formatting and installing windows from scratch to get rid of the built in bloatware. Also go into the BIOS and allocate 2GB of RAM to go towards video memory if you take my advice and get the integrated video. It's normally set much lower. This will leave you with 4-6GB (6 preferred) for windows with is plenty. Good luck.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-30-2014 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicare View Post
Right now on my computer running about 3 websites. I am at....
58% used physical memory
I am using windows media player usually, and I am really good about keeping the computer up to date. Java, windows, norton, pretty much all that. I usually run ccleaner about once a month. And will run defragler about once a month as well to keep the computer running good.
Used memory is not necessarily a bad thing. The trouble arises when you're constantly swapping to disk, which it doesn't sound like you are.

A few web sites should be slowing your computer down unless they're each filled with sound and video.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
58% of used physical memory tells me that you aren't in need of more memory for the take you have going on at that moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers