Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times

Advertisements

Well, a sad ending after 20 some years. CompUSA will close all of its 103 stores nationwide after the holidays.

They did have a few good deals from time to time, but nothing big and as good as they used to have in the past. From the times I was there, however, I had a feeling that I may be seeing this headline some day when I saw how inefficiently some of the stores were running.

Thankfully, in addition CC, BB, OD, and OM , Denver still has a MicroCenter as an option.

Link to the news: UPDATE 1-Gordon Brothers buys CompUSA, will close stores | Consumer Products & Retail | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Sad day...I have been shopping at CompUSA for years...well unless I lived near a Fry's.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:50 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
What a bummer. We don't have a Frys or a Microcenter in south Florida. CC and BB really don't cut it.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Well, a sad ending after 20 some years. CompUSA will close all of its 103 stores nationwide after the holidays.
Wow. I haven't done hardware or software shopping at brick-and-mortar stores since the mid-1990's. Still, it's sad to see options disappear.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,460 times
Wow, I bought a few items from CompUSA when I visited didnt think that would happen

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
I'm pretty certain in years to come brick & mortar electronics retailers are not going to be doing well at all. You can get better deals year round by ordering online and while you're at it you can read product opinions and save on sales tax.

I think one of the only ways the brick & mortar concept succeeds is when you have a super store like a Wal-mart that you can get everything you want in one outing (electronics and otherwise). Another way is when you have a specialty electronics store which can really add value through subject-matter-expert knowledge and great customer service (via well trained and well paid sales staff). You don't get those things at Best Buy nor via the other general electronics retailers today. If you go to a Best Buy (or someplace similar) it is generally because you don't want to do your shopping online, don't know how to, or you just want to physically browse the items because you haven't any idea what you want.

Just some thoughts as I do think CompUSA is just the beginning.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Not really surprised. They tried to expand into tv's, stereo equipment etc, their prices were high, and really the inventory never changed from 1 month to the next.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I'm sad...but not really surprised.

I worked at one CompUSA up in Pennsylvania back in 2001. Back then they had a lot of things going; like training programs for employees and customers, a decent selection of brands of computers (including Apple) and all the stuff to go with it (like computer books, printers, supplies). Also...I saved a pretty penny using my employee discount (we got things at cost....loved buying cables -- I could get a $30 printer cable for $7 or somthing).

Anyway, I transferred to a store in FL...and I was pretty shocked. Not that I expected things to be the same, but the store was in disarray, the employees were not knowledgeable (and mostly part-time high school and college kids), and the customer service (especially in the tech department) was not great. Then I transferred to yet another CompUSA in South Florida. This time, the store was brand new....so I thought it would be an upgrade for me. Outside of the first month (where the head honchos from the corporate office) came in and there were specials and events and hooplas...it quickly started regressing. Sure the store looked better...but people still didn't have a clue. The section with the TV and audio equipment was a mystery to everyone (I can only imagine if a customer had a question about that stuff).

CompUSA made some mistakes in management and how they dealt with their resources. I think CompUSA could have adjusted to the current era of people shopping online by using the brick and mortar stores as a springboard (or teaser) for online offerings. But instead they were trying to get into everything without thinking about training the staff they were bringing in or setting up proper product marketing for all this other stuff. I see it as an opportunity lost...because the had a edge on BB and CC and those other people.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Sad day...I have been shopping at CompUSA for years...well unless I lived near a Fry's.
Fry's is hardcore; I get in trouble (well, my Visa card does ) whenever I am in one.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
With Wal*Mart getting into the high end TV business and computers, look for alot of those type of stores to be hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers