Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

The last thing I got from them was my current desktop back in 2008, but I had bought a couple of Dells before that & I didn't intend to buy any more Dells anyway. But yesterday, my mom calls me & says she got a call from a company we've never heard of saying they're a collection agency who Dell turned over to them that I owe $205.90 from a year ago! I checked my bank statement in which there was a charge for that amt back then, but then a credit a couple days later.

I certainly never recalled this & told this collection co. that I'm disputing it & will be contacting Dell. When I called Dell I was transferred about 4x's. They "claimed" it was the cost of a tech support service phone call when I authorized an extended software warranty. To make a long story short, my mom, who helped me sort this out, since I'm so busy, told me that she finally got through to the right Dell person who said NOTHING is owed & he'll email a confirmation that I owe nothing. My mom thinks some kind of fraud's going on & asked the Dell guy what can be done. He said he'd call the police & make a fraud report.

This certainly isn't the last of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
You hope. Don't hold your breath, and don't relax about it until it's completely sorted out. Customer support at many companies is manned by idiots.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Maybe it was a scam all along!!! (Dell wasnt behind it)

Im glad you didnt have to pay anything!!!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Is the amount claimed an amount you owed at one point? There are tons of collection scams going on.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You hope. Don't hold your breath, and don't relax about it until it's completely sorted out. Customer support at many companies is manned by idiots.
I would not blame the phone techs. It's the ridiculous work environment they work in. They're forced to follow scripts and protocol. They're over-worked with a constant backlog of callers in the que. Their training is usually inadequate. There is a very high turn-over rate.

In the recent past, I've worked in a few of these call centers. Not a job I would ever go back to.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Thanks for the comments guys.

Hmm, that last Dell rep was supposed to email me a confirmation stating that I owe nothing. That was yesterday. I know it's only yesterday, but I sure hope I get it!

BTW, I worked in a call center for a major credit card company for several years, so I know about customer satisfaction & all lthat hoopla. They trained us for 2 months. We had a huge binder that was about 3 inches thick that we went through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Is the amount claimed an amount you owed at one point? There are tons of collection scams going on.
No, I never owed this.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I would not blame the phone techs. It's the ridiculous work environment they work in. They're forced to follow scripts and protocol. They're over-worked with a constant backlog of callers in the que. Their training is usually inadequate. There is a very high turn-over rate.

In the recent past, I've worked in a few of these call centers. Not a job I would ever go back to.
With the problem the OP has the call should be sent to Billing or Customer Service, not the techs. They should have an entirely different way of handling customer requests. Seems like they don't...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Forever Blue, you might consider contacting your state Attorney General office and give them the information you have, and tell them what you've learned.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Hi Forever Blue, My name is Rebecca and work for Dell computers, if there there is anything I can help you resolve or look into please let me know so I can make sure your issue is resolved.

Thanks
Rebecca

Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
I'll never buy D(H)ell again.

I bought my first Dell laptop in 2004 or 5, I had continuous problems with it first one being they didn't install the correct part for wifi so they had someone to come to my house to replace the part. They sent me the wrong part, so tech had to come to my house again. That laptop continued to have problems where I would have to speak to someone in India or the Philippines through their headache of a phone system.

Last straw was having to send the laptop to them for a repair but when I got it back the computer gauge said the battery needed to be replaced. Now I knew something was up because I'd only used the computer less than 5 times outside my home so I relied strictly on electricity without the need for battery backup. I checked my original spec sheet that I got when I first purchased the laptop and lo and behold a totally different part number for the battery, Dell had switched my battery! I will never ever buy again from such a unscrupulous company.

End result was Dell ended up sending me another laptop, refurbished but another one. Not the latest model or one with all the bells and whistles which I believe I should have gotten but one slightly better with much much less headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers