Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 AM

230 posts, read 398,541 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Great forum and I need the expertise of the wiz on CD . I didn't have a need to purchase a new computer since about early 2008. I have company-provided laptop which I use for everything. I also have a couple of 5 y.o HP laptops, which are in rather sad state of affairs, with a little help from my kids. I'm now enrolled in a graduate program which I do online, and it requires a lot of hours aside from my main work on company's computer. I'm really leaning towards desktop vs laptop. I'd like to have a dual monitor hook-up and it's just easier with desktop. If I need to travel I still can use my work laptop and have some other files with me on flash drive. Since mt last desktop Dell was from late 1990s (gone with the wind a while ago)....I have to admit that I have no idea what I really am looking for, and what is the fair price for it? My work computer has Windows 7, but b/c some of the older programs I have to work with my employer won't even allow to update the browser, or to install Google chrome, which is a requirement for my online graduate program. I wanted to get something that is more or less a modern version of the desktop, for basic duties, and most importantly without breaking a bank for it. I also need to get dual monitiors, and probably a stand for monitors. Please give your advise on what you think is reasonable, and if there are bundle deals I'd love to take a look at those too.

TIA .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Craigslist or Dell Outlet for monitors.
There are 20" and 22" monitors all over Craigslist for $35--$70.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Ebay for dual monitor stands.
I have two of these guys:
Dual LCD Monitor Stand Computer Desk Wall Mounts TV Audio Video Work Station | eBay
I like that they clamp down. Rock solid and very little desktop space taken up. The one I am using right now holds a 22" and a 25" monitor.

Desktops are all around, and I always look at Dell Outlet first. I keep up with them on Twitter for discounts and coupons:
https://twitter.com/delloutlet
Dell Factory Outlet
Of course, there are other buying opportunities.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Well, what does "breaking the bank" mean specifically? What's your budget and what will you be using the computer for?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Default Initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, what does "breaking the bank" mean specifically? What's your budget and what will you be using the computer for?
I've said this in my initial post that I need this mostly for my graduate online degree. It's very basic, but I don't want to limit myself either. My wife may need to do some trading at home as well since it hopufully is going to be hooked up to 2 or 3 monitors. And that's another thing, I need recommendation on video card as well. As far as budget I'm flexible to a certain point. But I can't give you a specific $ number b/c I don't know what is reasonable price for a model with certain features. That's why I really would appreciate some help, may be links like in a post above.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Default Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Craigslist or Dell Outlet for monitors.
There are 20" and 22" monitors all over Craigslist for $35--$70.
Dell Factory Outlet

Ebay for dual monitor stands.
I have two of these guys:
Dual LCD Monitor Stand Computer Desk Wall Mounts TV Audio Video Work Station | eBay
I like that they clamp down. Rock solid and very little desktop space taken up. The one I am using right now holds a 22" and a 25" monitor.

Desktops are all around, and I always look at Dell Outlet first. I keep up with them on Twitter for discounts and coupons:
https://twitter.com/delloutlet
Dell Factory Outlet
Of course, there are other buying opportunities.

Thank You, MikeJaquish. I checked out Dell outlet link. I think for my purposes anything above $500 for just a deskop is a bit too steep. I'm beginning to think may be I should get a laptop around $350 or under? Is it possible to get something relatively of a good quality in this price range? And just hook it up to a dual monitor with VGA adapter? Anyway, I'd appreciate everyone's advice on it since it's been a while that I had to make make this decision desktop vs laptop, and then what model, features etc?

Thank You.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 PM

You will get your best bang for your buck with a desktop.
I picked up two of these this year, and they are all over Craigslist routinely:
Dell Optiplex 980 i7 Windows 7

$300 with a Core I7 and dual monitor support should do you well.
You might check your local Craigslist and see what surfaces.

I am in an area of 1.5 million plus population, with many large corporations and universities, so maybe they are more available here.
Generally, these are off-lease from a corporate account and sold by guys who buy several of them and clean them up for resale to make a few bucks.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Default please advie

OK, does it look like a good deal to anyone?

Thank You.

Amazon.com : HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop (Windows 7) : Computers & Accessories

Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 PM

HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop PC | Staples®
$399.99

http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/f3e14aa.pdf
Looks like it will support dual monitors.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I will never again keep the installation-disk-software installed on the computer I buy.

I strongly suspect that the Frakenware installation-disks, at best, hurt computer performance. At worst, you get BSOD and other mishaps. In theory, removing all of the Cr@pware off of your new computer should not cause problems.....but I suspect this is not the case.

From now on....I bite the bullet, wipe my drive clean, and install a clean version of windows......my PC will thank me.

My current PC, a Toshibajunk computer, takes the cake for having the worst installation-disk I have ever used........do they even debug/test the software before shipping this junk out?????

So that is my advice, do a clean install of whatever OS you are using.....ditch the junk installation disk.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
What bothers me is the on chip video. I have an i3 2105 and an i5-3570 that I built and I don't like these videos as they're just not clear enough especially the text. A video card is like night and day and my i3 have a Radeon HD6670 and my i5 have the Radeon HD7770.

I used my i3 system for a few months while building my i5 system and put the i3 away for safekeeping. Yep, the dual core Intels works very well, even the Celeron G540 I had before the i3.

You can't go wrong with Intel CPUs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers