Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times

Advertisements

My trusty 7 yr. old HP laptop is ready for the big LCD pile in the sky. The crack and resulting black Rorschach Test on my screen are just too big to see around any longer.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron T5750 laptop and want to transfer all of my bookmarks from the HP to the Dell. Is there a way to copy all of my bookmarks and their links onto a disk or document to put on my new Dell?

I sure hope so. I cannot imagine going through either the manual copying or future research. Do we all love our bookmarks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Moderator cut: reference to deleted post

Internet Explorer has a folder called favorites inside your user profile. Like c:\documents and settings\gemkeeper\favorites will contain a bunch of files ending in .url. Each file is a favorite.

Firefox keeps all of your bookmarks in a bookmarks.html file buried in the user profile folder. I can't remember the exact path off the top of my head at the moment but its something like c:\documents and settings\gemkeeper\local settings\application data\mozilla\profiles\fflrizbk\. Do a search for it.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Wink Thanks for your help!

Thank you so much, both of you. I should have mentioned that I do use Internet Explorer. I will do a little exploring right now and see if I can locate my .url files.

I'll let you know how I make out. I will be back!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
You can also just use the "export" function on IE to save your book marks to a file. I believe its under "File" > "Import/Export".

And then do the opposite (Import) on the new system.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks, macroy. I am heading out shortly to pick up the new computer and have a couple of methods now to try.

It's wonderful that someone who knows how to keyboard, but little else, can tap into the great resources right here on C-D. You folks are 6 heads over me, but your input is very understandable. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Smile Thank you all for your imput. This was easier than I thought! (And, thank you, son.)

Fabulous, everyone. I just exported all of my bookmarks to my new laptop and I am delirious with joy!!

I told my son, who is still at home attending college, that I had posted this query and he said "Why didn't you ask me?" Simple answer: He always says 'I dunno.' "

He just walked me through the Export and Import between my old and new laptops and it took all of 45 seconds!

IE allows you to right-click on your "favorites" icon, click on "Export favorites", save them to a document, which we emailed to my mailbox. Then, turned around on the new computer, saved the file from my email, clicked on "Import favorites" and viola!!

I STILL don't know anything about computer-speak, but this worked and I am happy!!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
When I downloaded Firefox, all of the bookmarks followed. I was happy about that. I didn't have to do anything.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Another option if you have FireFox, is to use Foxmarks - quite convenient for when a person has multiple different computers, and wants the same [or some/most] of what is on the 'main' computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers