Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,434 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Does anyone happen to know what causes me to receive a 'delivery failure notice' when I send an e-mail from IE, whether it's from a tablet, a smartphone or in this case, a local Fedex Office where I am now?

It only happens when sending them to certain recipients, and pops up very intermittently.

This is really exasperating and perplexing, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,026,507 times
most of the time is it is because you entered the wrong email address

Old 03-27-2015, 05:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,782,046 times
Yep, you are likely entering the incorrect address.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:52 AM

622 posts, read 528,165 times
Although a mistyped email address is usually the reason this happens, there are others.
  1. The recipient's Inbox may be full which prevents them from receiving email.
  2. The recipient has chosen not to receive any email from anyone.
  3. The recipient has chosen not to receive any email from you.
  4. Your IP address has been blacklisted (associated with SPAM).
  5. Your ISP prevented the email from being sent because a file which is too large was attached.
  6. Your email address has been hijacked by spammers.
  7. The recipient may have changed their email address and the one you have is no longer valid.
Here follows an explanation of each.

1. If the recipient's Inbox is full, they'll have to empty it, or at least reduce the amount of space being eaten up by moving messages into the Archive folder, or a custom folder in order to create space in the Inbox.
  2. The email address is a "No Reply" type a.k.a. "Bounce". When email arrives, it's immediately bounced back to the sender with the delivery failure notice. You can check that by looking at the headers. Depending on your email client, open the failure notice, then go to "View" | "Message headers" and look for the entry called "Return path". If the address is "no reply@name" or "bounce@name", then that's the reason.
  3. This one is the similar #2 except the recipient has a filter in place which bounces the mail back to you and anyone else they've chosen not to receive mail from.
  4. Your IP address is considered to be sending SPAM. See this Wikipedia article on the subject: Open mail relay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. Self explanatory I think. ISPs don't allow files larger than certain size to be sent as attachments. Use a application like WinRAR (paid for) or 7-zip (free) to compress the file before sending it.
  6. Your email address has been hijacked by spammers. See this article for more info: Backscatter Definition - About Email
  7. Self explanatory I think.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,576,434 times
Thanks for that very comprehensive reply---much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 AM

622 posts, read 528,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Thanks for that very comprehensive reply---much appreciated.
You're welcome.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
The bounce message (the delivery failure notification email) should tell you why it couldn't be delivered. As others have said, it's most often a typo in the address or an address that no longer exists. The fact that this happens only with certain recipients supports that hypothesis.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,005,560 times
This has happened to me, too, on occasion, and it's has been because of an over-zealous anti-spam mail filter on the recipient's end. My email address does look "spam-ish" because it's bizarre and doesn't contain any sort of name. Some school and business mail systems look at my address and deem it spam, and it bounces back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers