Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

I went ahead and ordered the Gateway Windows 7 computer from Amazon. Thanks for your advice, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:27 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
You may have forgotten the chore of getting a new computer the way you want it during the years since you got your first one, but once you do I'm betting your first Gateway is going to find its way to the back of a closet somewhere.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You may have forgotten the chore of getting a new computer the way you want it during the years since you got your first one, but once you do I'm betting your first Gateway is going to find its way to the back of a closet somewhere.

I'm not quite sure what your post is saying. I've had Gateways for almost 20 years, although I must admit that I've owned only 3 of them because they were such good, long-lasting computers. My current Gateway is almost 11 years old and still going strong, with lots of everyday use.

I love, love, love Windows XP and hate, hate, hate the idea that Microsoft doesnt offer it anymore. I bought another computer now only because I know that my current computer is going to die eventually (how many live for 11 years with daily use?) and I want to have a Windows 7 computer available at that time since it's apparently the closest to XP that I'll ever get.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 PM

I'm saying that I think you'll find you prefer 7, once you get settled in with your new computer. But I could be wrong of course!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that I think you'll find you prefer 7, once you get settled in with your new computer. But I could be wrong of course!

Thanks! I hope you're right!

I ordered a "Windows 7 for Dummies" book from Amazon and hope it will help this dummy.

I have 11 years' worth of bookmarks (thousands of them and I refer to many of them often) and other things that I'm sure cant be transferred from XP. I'm in the process of transferring all my photos to Shutterfly and Photobucket (I've already saved them to a flash drive but dont know if that will work on 7). And I dont know about my Word 2003 documents -- I love Word 2003 and have heard that subsequent versions arent so good.

Does anyone know of a site where I can transfer documents, etc so I can maybe save them for the new computer?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Even though you already got a Windows 7 machine coming, there's not much to like about Windows XP anymore.

You most likely weren't getting Microsoft Updates from MS since support had ended. IE 8 is easily hacked and not supported, and I can't imagine how slow the system is.

That being said, I understand the need for familiarity. Windows 7 isn't a drastic change, but it improves on XP and Vista in every single way. Plus, more importantly it's supported by MS and has much better driver support, in case you wanted to hook something up to your computer.

Windows 8.1 isn't terrible. I have classic shell on mine at work and it runs great!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Actually, yes, I have been getting Microsoft updates. I did a Registry Hack and get updates regularly. Webroot security also protects XP. And my computer isnt slow at all, at least not to me. I bought a program whereby I can get driver updates.

But I'm so glad to hear that someone else also thinks I'll like Windows 7. Changing systems may not mean much to you youngsters but I'm old and retired and, although I could spend all my days and nights learning a new system, it's just not something to which I'm looking forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Even though you already got a Windows 7 machine coming, there's not much to like about Windows XP anymore.

You most likely weren't getting Microsoft Updates from MS since support had ended. IE 8 is easily hacked and not supported, and I can't imagine how slow the system is.

That being said, I understand the need for familiarity. Windows 7 isn't a drastic change, but it improves on XP and Vista in every single way. Plus, more importantly it's supported by MS and has much better driver support, in case you wanted to hook something up to your computer.

Windows 8.1 isn't terrible. I have classic shell on mine at work and it runs great!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks! I hope you're right!

I ordered a "Windows 7 for Dummies" book from Amazon and hope it will help this dummy.

I have 11 years' worth of bookmarks (thousands of them and I refer to many of them often) and other things that I'm sure cant be transferred from XP. I'm in the process of transferring all my photos to Shutterfly and Photobucket (I've already saved them to a flash drive but dont know if that will work on 7). And I dont know about my Word 2003 documents -- I love Word 2003 and have heard that subsequent versions arent so good.

Does anyone know of a site where I can transfer documents, etc so I can maybe save them for the new computer?
Your flash drive will be fine and you can save documents to it too. You can probably find instructions online for transferring bookmarks, depending on what browser(s) you use. I've got a lot of them too. I weeded out a lot last year, but the list keeps growing again!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks but what's the benefit of buying 8.1 and downloading a program to make it look like 7 -- when I can buy 7 to start with?
Look for refirbished machines. My backup is refirbished, and while I had to do a special scan of the hard drive and reload of seven, its doing great. Its nicely built as well at a good price. My other one, with all the files on it, is also seven. I have every intention of avoiding 8 or 10 since what I do works just fine with seven and I don't see a reason to complicate things.

I also have an xp laptop which still works and its rigged up with all my music to play. All the programs I run on it still run. It's mostly writing so it doesn't matter if its talking to the internet.

As for refirbished, I have to look up the scan to run but its free and will find any and all defiencies on your hard drive and those trojens which are so sneeky other systems miss them. Some people do a yearly run on their working machines to just see what's been missed. I'll post the name when I check it.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Your flash drive will be fine and you can save documents to it too. You can probably find instructions online for transferring bookmarks, depending on what browser(s) you use. I've got a lot of them too. I weeded out a lot last year, but the list keeps growing again!

Thanks so much! I also saved documents/photos/etc to Amazon Cloud because it does an auto backup. I'm still looking for a way to transfer Firefox bookmarks. I export the bookmarks to a document monthly, but that wont help with transferring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers