Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:13 PM

14,555 posts, read 20,838,644 times

Advertisements

We liked XP. Current system has Vista.
What are all the similarities and differences between XP and 10?

We will get a couple new systems and were told if we want Windows 7 which many people liked that we better get it now or it will no longer be available on new systems in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 12:25 PM

17,745 posts, read 15,527,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We liked XP. Current system has Vista.
What are all the similarities and differences between XP and 10?

We will get a couple new systems and were told if we want Windows 7 which many people liked that we better get it now or it will no longer be available on new systems in the coming months.
It's difficult to find Win7 now.. You won't find one at Best Buy or anything like that. Going through CDW or NewEgg or the like, you can still get it.

Win10 has a much more 'classic' feel than Win8, which was an abomination.

I always tell people, Windows OSes are like the Star Trek Movies.. Every other one is crap.

Win95 - It was the first one, not that great
Win98 - Good, stable, solid OS
WinME - Abomination
WinXP - Good, solid, stable.
Vista - Crap
Win7 - Good.
Win8 - Horrendous
Win10 - Jury is still out, but.. Not bad. It's not GREAT, but looks like it compared to Win8.

BTW.. Every Win7 (and Win8 for that matter) system (Non-domain at least) will nag you to upgrade to Win10.. You can do a registry change to prevent the nag.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,448,449 times
I just bought my first Mac (Macbook pro) after all the above versions of windows. I still have to use windows at work but no more at home for me.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,493,645 times
I used xp for many years and liked it a lot. Windows 10 is not nearly as good, but I'm stuck with it. XP was much more straight forward. With 10, there are many steps to get to where I want to go.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I used xp for many years and liked it a lot. Windows 10 is not nearly as good, but I'm stuck with it. XP was much more straight forward. With 10, there are many steps to get to where I want to go.
The best thing i've found that helps is right clicking on the start button.. With that, you can easily get to common (classic) places like the control panel, Command Prompt, etc. That also works on Win8 and is a HUGE help on it.

One that I really don't like is customizing the Notification area icons.. took me forever to find that in Win10.

Not a fan of Windows update, either.. And don't like the fact that Folder Options is gone from the Control Panel.. If someone knows where that went off to.. I haven't had a chance to track it down yet.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:54 PM

14,555 posts, read 20,838,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It's difficult to find Win7 now.. You won't find one at Best Buy or anything like that. Going through CDW or NewEgg or the like, you can still get it.

WinXP - Good, solid, stable.
Win7 - Good.
Win10 - Jury is still out, but.. Not bad. It's not GREAT, but looks like it compared to Win8.

BTW.. Every Win7 (and Win8 for that matter) system (Non-domain at least) will nag you to upgrade to Win10.. You can do a registry change to prevent the nag.
Won't the nag end when the free upgrade to 10 is over? (hope so)

Who would choose 7 or 10 and why?
However switching from Vista to 7 only gets us an extra 33 months.
10 support will last about 5 years longer than 7.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

The choices we have are to keep Vista until early in 2017. Or go ahead and buy a couple fast Windows 7 systems now. (?)

Last edited by howard555; 12-31-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 01:02 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,690,487 times
Well, I liked XP. I held off on 7 for quite a while. But, after trying 7, I grew to like it, a lot more than XP.
Hated 8/8.1, stayed with 7.
Just now trying win 10 on my laptop. So far, so good. It seems to be pretty smooth.
One big difference: Win 7 can be moved to other hardware. I can take my hard drive from one machine, and install it on another, and it will work very smoothly to adapt to the new hardware. You get several transfers of the license to new HW.
Win 10, once you have authorized the license, it is tied to your MOBO Serial Number.

I have Win 7 on a fairly old mobo. I want to buy a new system and mount this HD on it, before making the switch, I think

Old 12-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Well, I liked XP. I held off on 7 for quite a while. But, after trying 7, I grew to like it, a lot more than XP.
Hated 8/8.1, stayed with 7.
Just now trying win 10 on my laptop. So far, so good. It seems to be pretty smooth.
One big difference: Win 7 can be moved to other hardware. I can take my hard drive from one machine, and install it on another, and it will work very smoothly to adapt to the new hardware. You get several transfers of the license to new HW.
Win 10, once you have authorized the license, it is tied to your MOBO Serial Number.

I have Win 7 on a fairly old mobo. I want to buy a new system and mount this HD on it, before making the switch, I think
My concern with 10 is the privacy things.. I think we'll see some settling in the next year so far as some of that, and some functions being disabled by default that impact privacy (The auto-sharing of Wi-Fi passwords and such)

Win8.. The problem with that was if you didn't have a touchscreen. The interface was clunky at best without a touchscreen and it was just too much of a change for businesses and many individuals.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,958,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
Win98 - Good, stable, solid OS
Muchos Gracious for your kind words on my favourite OS

Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 PM

660 posts, read 662,130 times
I have Windows 7 right now. I have heard mixed reactions from Windows 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers