Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times

Advertisements

I have an Iomega IX2-200 NAS "Cloud Edition," with the latest firmware (3.1.something_or_other).

I have a certain folder structure I'd like to set up on the drive, with varying permissions throughout the structure.

Root > Year > Team1 > Member 1, Member 2, Member 3, Admin, Public

I'd like Root and Year to be accessible by only the Admin (or Admin group).
Team 1 would be accessible by all members of Team 1. Within that folder (Team 1), would be more folders, where each member has their own folder which only they can view\read\write. There would also be a public folder, which anyone can read or write to, and an admin folder, in which only the admin can write to, but anyone can read.

I want Members of Team 1 to be able to read\write their own folders to Team 1 folder, but not be able to delete other folders made by other members in that folder.

Is this even possible with Windows permissions? The interface for the drive doesn't allow for setting permissions past the root folders, so it is out of the question.

Do I need a full-blown domain controller to handle all of this? This level of complexity in sharing folders is a bit new to me, and i'm kind of working off limited knowledge. I can answer questions as needed, but some help and advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
All of that would be set up within the NAS's interface, you would create directories, users, and groups, just like a domain controller. I don't know what it has for an operating system or if it's even capable of doing what you want, but the manual would be a place to start. I have a Synology NAS and it has the ability to set up access like you want, plus a ton of other stuff.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
If what NHDave suggested is not an option for your NAS system then, I'd think you would be able to control access to the resources on it just like any other network share if it is in a domain environment. If you don't want to get fancy, using Security Groups in AD would probably be the practical way imho.
I hope I did not misunderstand you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
All of that would be set up within the NAS's interface, you would create directories, users, and groups, just like a domain controller. I don't know what it has for an operating system or if it's even capable of doing what you want, but the manual would be a place to start. I have a Synology NAS and it has the ability to set up access like you want, plus a ton of other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If what NHDave suggested is not an option for your NAS system then, I'd think you would be able to control access to the resources on it just like any other network share if it is in a domain environment. If you don't want to get fancy, using Security Groups in AD would probably be the practical way imho.
I hope I did not misunderstand you.
The interface for this Iomega drive is lacking. I can set permissions, users, and groups for root level directories only, but I require a much more complex origination of sub-directories which this particular NAS doesn't seem to support. However, the documentation claims that I can set windows permissions for subdirectories.

And that's my question. I'm trying to coordinate a dozen machines with this NAS, each user on any one particular machine...

You know what, I'm trying to piece this together for a client, and it pretty much dawned on me that he needs a domain controller to really do what he wants to do. He's trying to go the cheap route (or rather, his comptroller is). The documentation for this NAS states you can use windows permissions to handle sub-directories, and that is what I was trying to set up, but I can't even figure out of its possible to set up permissions for these directories using multiple users on different computers without Active Directory.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
The nas is probably using linux as the o/s, and samba for the windoze sharing. If it's anything like my nas, you can do what you need to do, but you have to approach it a little differently. As the admin, you're thinking in terms of folder/permission hierarchy, but from the client perspective, there's just going to be a list of shares to connect to.

Create your directory structure as the admin, and setup your users and groups. Then setup the shares. You'll need to create the share for each user or group separately. What you'll end up with when you browse the nas will be a list of shares like user1, user2, group1, etc., instead of just one share that everyone connects to and then drills down to where they are allowed to be.

It seems needlessly convoluted, and it sort of is, but you have to remember that you're mixing technologies. If you want seamless integration, you can achieve it by spending a boatload more on a new windoze server with a big, fat raid array or one of the crazy-expensive nas setups.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 664 times
Hello , please help me
how to permissions user lenovo hard network ix2 , that read and copy but dont delet files ???
thanks for answers ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers