Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Maybe I'm not explaining it right?
Once you click ADVANCED you don't see at the very top: Choose How Updates Are Installed?
I'll reiterate that has changed with anniversary update. If your start menu has a scroll bar to scroll through the programs as soon as you open it instead of the "all apps" link you have anniversary update. When you go into the advanced options instead of that selection it gives you selection for "active times" when it will not restart computer. I'm on my PC or I would post a screenshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My last update (yesterday?) I was asked automatically.

Do you have drives with Windows sytem folders on them? The reason this PC does not have anniversary update is apparently because I have moved the data folders like pictures, documents etc to different drive than the OS drive. If you manually search for updates it won't find it, I would assume MS is blocking it for me until they fix whatever bugs are going to FUBAR my system which has apparently happened to others. I'm glad I had the defer upgrades checked.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
No. I have those folders on drive D:, but they aren't system folders. Those are still on C:.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Maybe I'm not explaining it right?
Once you click ADVANCED you don't see at the very top: Choose How Updates Are Installed?

Ah, did find something I am missing.
If you see this icon (see attached)

A different way:
Click the Magnifying Glass and type: Control. Open your Control Panel.
Click the GREEN link, lower left > Programs. Right pane > click GREEN link "Default Programs". Choose "Set your default programs".

Will do. Thanks so much Tek!
I used this method and got the required results.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM

Here is what the start menu and update screen looks like if you have the anniversary update. That's on my laptop, my PC still has original screens. Like I said it doesn't find the anniversary update and I'm presuming that is because of the issues with the update and other drives.

Quote:
No. I have those folders on drive D:, but they aren't system folders. Those are still on C:.
The folders I have on D: are Pictures, Documents etc. If you right click those Windows folders, select properties and on the location tab you can change the location. You'll do that so when something defaults to those folders like creating a folder in Documents it will be created in Documents\. It will also send you to right folder if for example you click Documents.

I don;t know if it's just Windows system folders or folders on any drive, I've read about the issue briefly. Apparenlty that update screwed up a lot of computers with setup like mine.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers