Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Since it's going to be a one-time thing, I'd encrypt the photos and only leave the FTP up until she's finished downloading.

But wouldn't it just be easier to send 2 dvds or a usb drive via mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
If you are behind a router then you'll have to set up / forward the passive ports. Do a search for IIS FTP Passive mode and you should get some good info.

If you can't get the IIS Ftp running easily, you can set up Filezilla Server. I run it on my 2003 and 2008 boxes, and configuration is fairly straight forward.

You might also check that your ISP doesn't block port 21. If they do you can just specify an alternate port, and have your sister use it on her client.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Since it's going to be a one-time thing, I'd encrypt the photos and only leave the FTP up until she's finished downloading.

But wouldn't it just be easier to send 2 dvds or a usb drive via mail?
It's a one time thing now, but if it works out well, I might make it a regular thing. It's easier than waiting for Dropbox to upload everything, have her download it, rinse, repeat, etc.

And, it might be easier to ship off a few DVDs, but it takes a lot longer. She's been compiling an album of the last twenty years of family photos for our grandparents. I'm just tasked with scanning in everything here, while she gets to do all the creative work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
If you are behind a router then you'll have to set up / forward the passive ports. Do a search for IIS FTP Passive mode and you should get some good info.

If you can't get the IIS Ftp running easily, you can set up Filezilla Server. I run it on my 2003 and 2008 boxes, and configuration is fairly straight forward.

You might also check that your ISP doesn't block port 21. If they do you can just specify an alternate port, and have your sister use it on her client.
I set up port-forwarding, and I have no problem connecting internally. I can't connect using my external IP for some reason--but apparently it's working. I just read on Filezilla's wikia that you should not be able to connect to your own FTP externally, and if you can, something is probably wrong.

So I sent her the IP address and it worked. So, that's great.

I am using Windows 7 IIS (IIS 7, if I recall correctly), and it's working just fine. I checked to make sure Comcast wasn't blocking port 21, which seemed like a pretty ridiculous idea. They aren't. I'm using a non-standard port anyway just in case.

But, more about the security part. Do I have any real worries about leaving the port open? I can turn off the port-forward within DDWRT, but like I said, I might just leave this around as a regular thing if it works that well.

Would I be better off migrating this to a separate box, or into a VM (likely on a separate box)?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Open Port Check Tool

Will test if the port is being forwarded, and the port is open on the host.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It's a one time thing now, but if it works out well, I might make it a regular thing. It's easier than waiting for Dropbox to upload everything, have her download it, rinse, repeat, etc.

And, it might be easier to ship off a few DVDs, but it takes a lot longer. She's been compiling an album of the last twenty years of family photos for our grandparents. I'm just tasked with scanning in everything here, while she gets to do all the creative work.

I set up port-forwarding, and I have no problem connecting internally. I can't connect using my external IP for some reason--but apparently it's working. I just read on Filezilla's wikia that you should not be able to connect to your own FTP externally, and if you can, something is probably wrong.

So I sent her the IP address and it worked. So, that's great.

I am using Windows 7 IIS (IIS 7, if I recall correctly), and it's working just fine. I checked to make sure Comcast wasn't blocking port 21, which seemed like a pretty ridiculous idea. They aren't. I'm using a non-standard port anyway just in case.

But, more about the security part. Do I have any real worries about leaving the port open? I can turn off the port-forward within DDWRT, but like I said, I might just leave this around as a regular thing if it works that well.

Would I be better off migrating this to a separate box, or into a VM (likely on a separate box)?
It is ridiculous, Verizon blocks 21, 25, 80, etc on residential accounts. We've run into a number of ISP's that block outbound 25 unless it's connecting to their own SMTP servers as well.

As for security on the port. If you have only forwarded a port that's in use, then it's not a big deal, as long as the app listening on that port is configured securely. It's even less of an issue if you've used a non standard port, since most of the scanners are just making passes at known port numbers, and then trying to exploit them.

The two things that I'd make sure of (I don't know what the IIS FTP offers as far as options go): that you can block by IP based on failed log in attempts, and that you aren't allowing anonymous connections.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
based on your needs - I think Skunk Workz covered it pretty well. One other option you can do is insert an access rule to only allow your sister's IP. But that may be more than its worth if her IP changes often....

Although it does provide some privacy as well with the data that is sitting there. Not saying family photos need to be kept secret or anything.. but its still personal property that one may not want to just have sitting out in the open.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Can't access internal FTP\CRM with external IP

I've been trying to troubleshoot why I can't connect to my CRM using my external IP address, and enlisted the help of a mook in a different city to help. He has absolutely no problem connecting with the address, but me, inside my network, I cannot connect to my CRM (or my FTP) using my external address. I have no problem, obviously, connecting using my internal address or localhost, but I can't do it with my external IP while I'm inside my network.

Any idea what's going on?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Quote:
I've been trying to troubleshoot why I can't connect to my CRM using my external IP address, and enlisted the help of a mook in a different city to help. He has absolutely no problem connecting with the address, but me, inside my network, I cannot connect to my CRM (or my FTP) using my external address. I have no problem, obviously, connecting using my internal address or localhost, but I can't do it with my external IP while I'm inside my network.

Any idea what's going on?
You are trying to do what is known as "NAT loopback". Some routers support this function. I believe most do not out of the box. Go through your router settings to see if you can enable it.

Any reason why you can't live with connecting using the LAN IP? Especially since you know it works from the outside already?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
You are trying to do what is known as "NAT loopback". Some routers support this function. I believe most do not out of the box. Go through your router settings to see if you can enable it.

Any reason why you can't live with connecting using the LAN IP? Especially since you know it works from the outside already?
I only know it works because I happened to have someone I could use at the time to troubleshoot my problems. I'd like to basically make sure that whatever changes I make, will work outside of my network while I'm inside of it.

I'm running DD-WRT, and I'm reading here that versions older than 14929 for the Asus RT-N16 dont' support NAT loopback. That's good to know!

Any way to fool it, or do I need to run through my phone as a 3G connection to test my network problems?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Quote:
I only know it works because I happened to have someone I could use at the time to troubleshoot my problems. I'd like to basically make sure that whatever changes I make, will work outside of my network while I'm inside of it.

I'm running DD-WRT, and I'm reading here that versions older than 14929 for the Asus RT-N16 dont' support NAT loopback. That's good to know!

Any way to fool it, or do I need to run through my phone as a 3G connection to test my network problems?
Can you get an FTP client for your phone and just try to connect any time you make changes on your server?

Not sure if a proxy would work. If you can VPN or rdp into your office or another machine somewhere else that would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers