Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 12:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
TM-1045 is intended for telephone use. What were you expecting? Pre-wired CAT5 data throughout the house?
Half right, I suspect. Read the story here: Confused about pre-wired ethernet house, help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The AVS forum has been around for at least 16 years, and has excellent advice.

Short answer, if you don't want to look at the link, is that you need to plug the cat5 cables you want to use for ethernet into a switch (or a router if you expect a lot of traffic like multiple video streams), then plug the switch into your modem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 24,267 times
@reed303 The cables are labelled; I'm just not sure if they're labelled correctly. The switch I order will get here today, so I'm going to see if it will solve my problem.

@sj08054 I was expecting the house to be pre-wired with the correct cables so that I can just plug the cables into my modem/router/switch so that each room will get data...not every home buyer are tech savvy enough to know how to get these things to work. Just thought this would be simpler than it is... :/

I think everything on the surface is what we paid for; what I'm skeptical of is what is in the walls...

Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 PM

@bigbear99 I saw that post too...but got lost in the back and forth posts. Too tired from dealing with all the other structural/cosmetic issues with the "new" house -_-

Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBread View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to activate all the Cat5e+ ports in my new home. The home is pre-wired, but I think it only comes with the standard Legrand telephone module (10-way RJ45 Telephone Module with RJ31X - TM1045 | Legrand).
The Legrand telephone module description doesn't sound like it is wired for data
10-WAY RJ45 TELEPHONE MODULE WITH RJ31X
TM1045 | On-Q This telephone module distributes up to 4 incoming telephone lines (RJ45) to 10 locations.

It sounds like you want something like this device

12-PORT CAT 5E NETWORK INTERFACE MODULE AC1014 | On-Q
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Easily switch an outlet from Voice to Data or from Data to Voice with this Cat 5e Network Interface Module.
12-Port Cat 5e Network Interface Module - AC1014 | Legrand

Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Did you plug your net gear router into the Legrand or directly to the wire coming from the wall?

Old 03-12-2017, 04:16 PM

My modem has a CAT5E cable that runs into the input of my router. The router has four output ports which run separate CAT5E cables to four rooms. In one of the rooms I have a powered switch which lets me run two devices in that room and run another wire to a fifth room.

It seems to me that a telephone switch is an entirely different animal. Each pair of wires is connected to the same pair of wires in all rooms. In addition there is no power involved. I fail to see how you can operate data devices with such a switch.

I think your telephone module does exactly what it is designed to do, which is to "distribute up to 4 incoming telephone lines (RJ45) to 10 locations".

I don't see any problems with your wires. You don't have to replace or augment them. But you can't connect them to a telephone module.

I am assuming that you don't need a telephone system in your home. Most people rely on cell phones today. If you do need telephone wiring you will have to do something different. There are multiple choices.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-12-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It seems to me that a telephone switch is an entirely different animal. Each pair of wires is connected to the same pair of wires in all rooms. In addition there is no power involved. I fail to see how you can operate data devices with such a switch.
This has already been answered, if you had taken the time to read earlier posts. But no, you waste our time with old news.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This has already been answered, if you had taken the time to read earlier posts. But no, you waste our time with old news.
When ? After this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Did you plug your net gear router into the Legrand or directly to the wire coming from the wall?

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
In the OP's picture, the grey wire that runs behind the router looks smaller than the white house wire. Which is why I asked.

The other thing the iBread needs to be concerned with is the wall jacks. If the inwall wires are connected to the wall jack via screws, then it is a phone plate and will have to be replaced with a keystone.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 PM

So getting the switch solved nothing...

Am I plugging the cables wrong?

Right now, the modem is activated. In the photo, I have a cable connecting the router to the modem, the switch plugged into the router, and the cables to four Cat5e+ outlets (all in different rooms) plugged into the switch.

Hypothetically, the data should be travelling from the modem to router to switch and then to each of the rooms that has its cable connected to the switch.

None of the other cable outlets are lighting up on the switch besides for the one connecting the router to the switch...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers