Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times

Advertisements

Before I call in the troops, let me ask here. Is anyone else receiving new notices from Google? A change in their setup and notes asking us to change or do differently? Or is it just me? Friends tell me theirs is just the same as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
... new notices from Google? ...
Some additional details might help others know what your questioning.
Google Accounts, mail, maps, phones, ... they ARE kind of a big company.

If you are talking about the Google Accounts email system. I just had most of my different Google Mail accounts each get an email requesting confirmation of the security contact email. It's something they do periodically.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Some additional details might help others know what your questioning.
Google Accounts, mail, maps, phones, ... they ARE kind of a big company.

If you are talking about the Google Accounts email system. I just had most of my different Google Mail accounts each get an email requesting confirmation of the security contact email. It's something they do periodically.
Sorry, I'm trying to not make too many false statements until I know they are facts. As for "security contact email", I don't remember now if that is what it was called. However, when I clicked on one of its "Learn more" links, it turned out to be their privacy statement in which they tell what data they gather about you and with whom they share it. I know about that.

After that, it was nothing but updating Gmail which is fine with me. Even its asking me to sign in every day is fine if that's what it wants. But why is Firefox no longer able to remember my automatic log ins despite that it is still set to do so? These are at other sites totally unrelated to Google so far as I know. City Data is one of them. Why, whenever I open Firefox, does a Google message appear to the side asking me to switch my default search engine to Google. In the first place, I thought Google was Firefox's default search engine. And why is the Thunderbird icon suddenly showing a red dot whenever I open it - the kind of red dot that Apple shows when it has a program to update? Apple would not be updating Thunderbird, plus Tbird is already up to date.

Something is going on. Something in general has changed and I can't pinpoint it. Is it Google's new setup? Does Google have some control in Firefox? Or do I have two separate problems - Firefox and Google. I think it's Google, especially because of how it appears on Firefox with its messages.

Is that enough? Thanks.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Try a different browser. Firefox is very buggy. It tries to be my default browser every time I open it on my laptop, no matter that I checked the "don't ask me again" box.

You could download Vivaldi, Opera, Chrome, Explorer, or Safari, just to name a few of your browser options.

You might also have some malware running on your computer. Have you run a scan with a program like malwarebytes or adaware?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Try a different browser. Firefox is very buggy. It tries to be my default browser every time I open it on my laptop, no matter that I checked the "don't ask me again" box.

You could download Vivaldi, Opera, Chrome, Explorer, or Safari, just to name a few of your browser options.

You might also have some malware running on your computer. Have you run a scan with a program like malwarebytes or adaware?
I have run a scan on the MalwareBytes. It comes up clean. As for Safari, there has to be something I am missing. When I open the Safari app, I do not see any evidence of them having or being a browser. They offer several search engines plus some extras like Weather and Facebook. Like I said, I'm missing something.

The man who takes care of Apple computers responded. He thinks he knows what is wrong and can fix it. He also mentioned Safari browser. So, something to learn there.

Thanks much. Hazel

Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Firefox is not buggy. They did switch from Google to Yahoo, I believe. I might try a full install reinstall of FF.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 AM

If Firefox switched from Google - as I'd read they were going to do - why does their home page still have Google as its search engine?

To add to the question, is anyone here who uses Microsoft Windows having these problems? Has something changed your way of signing into different web sites changed? And is Google hassling you to switch to Google as a default search engine? And has Google changed its Gmail setup (which is working fine other than having to sign in.

I ask because, in my circle of friends, those using MS say they aren't getting what another friend and I are getting and we two are using Apple.

Just a thought. Thank you all for your comments.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Firefox is not buggy. They did switch from Google to Yahoo, I believe. I might try a full install reinstall of FF.
I am happy you do not have problems with it, however many people have reported multiple issues using it. I only use it to test web site design rendering now, as I got so tired of it freezing and crashing on me on me, having problems with scripts (mac and pc), and asking to be my default browser every time I open it (pc only). None of the several other browsers I use are annoying in this way.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
If Firefox switched from Google - as I'd read they were going to do - why does their home page still have Google as its search engine?

To add to the question, is anyone here who uses Microsoft Windows having these problems? Has something changed your way of signing into different web sites changed? And is Google hassling you to switch to Google as a default search engine? And has Google changed its Gmail setup (which is working fine other than having to sign in.

I ask because, in my circle of friends, those using MS say they aren't getting what another friend and I are getting and we two are using Apple.

Just a thought. Thank you all for your comments.
You may have set your home page to google in preferences at some point. You can also set your default search engine in there. Non-default search engines do tend to be programmed to ask if you want it to be your default.
Looks like this is coming from Firefox not google:
https://support.google.com/websearch...LXRMNpM/?hl=en

Are you using a mac laptop, desktop, or mobile device? The safari browser would have come installed on any of them. I am very confused about what you say you're seeing when you open it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers