Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times

Advertisements

When I first opened an account with Avast Premier, I did not know that I was getting on a merry-go-round situation. I am trying to close my connection with Avast/Digital River, Inc., and it does not let me. It has an AUTO-RENEWAL policy, that once one is in it, cannot get out. First, I agreed on a one-year license with Antivirus for my computer, then I ended up with a computer clean-up, that I was never able to download, and finally gave up on it, so I was charged. Recently, I was charged for another LICENSE, which I have no idea what it is, $70.56.

After four days, finally, they sent me an email and told me that I will be refunded for it, but, now they charged for a license for two years, that ends in 2019, for Avast Premier, which was due two days ago, for which I did not receive any information that they were renewing......

Trying to get help is a nightmare. They answer the 888 telephone number, put you on a hold, and no one ever responds.......This is an international firm located in Prague.....

I want them out of my life......your responses are greatly appreciated.....thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,406,022 times
I've run into issues with companies that get ahold of my CC number, refuse to cancel my account, and keep auto-billing me.

I called up the credit card company, told them that I lost my card, and asked them to issue me a new one.

It didn't take care of the fact that I had been billed for something that I didn't want, but it did stop billings going forward.

If you want to recoup the money that you lost, then you could try to dispute the Avast/Digital River charge with your credit card company.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I've run into issues with companies that get ahold of my CC number, refuse to cancel my account, and keep auto-billing me.

I called up the credit card company, told them that I lost my card, and asked them to issue me a new one.

It didn't take care of the fact that I had been billed for something that I didn't want, but it did stop billings going forward.

If you want to recoup the money that you lost, then you could try to dispute the Avast/Digital River charge with your credit card company.
I just close another account because someone broke into it.........but, I am going to follow on your footsteps, since that seems to be the only solution, they are not listening to me. Thank you,

Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
Yes ask for your cc to be canceled and a replacement issued.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Be aware that you have to inform the CC company that you don't have a business relationship with them and you have attempted to contact them with no success. I had a webhost that pulled the same crap, and when the CC number changed, they finessed customer service at the CC into giving them the NEW number. As always, I had documentation, and was able to state the dates and times I had contacted the CC company, so that put a final end to it.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Be aware that you have to inform the CC company that you don't have a business relationship with them and you have attempted to contact them with no success. I had a webhost that pulled the same crap, and when the CC number changed, they finessed customer service at the CC into giving them the NEW number. As always, I had documentation, and was able to state the dates and times I had contacted the CC company, so that put a final end to it.
Isn't that, um, illegal?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Isn't that, um, illegal?
Nope. Their card, their rules. They also got to eat the charges, AFAIK. In almost any dispute, he who has the most documentation wins. I won.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
Dispute the charge with the card company. You have 60 days after the charge to do so.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:38 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Nope. Their card, their rules. They also got to eat the charges, AFAIK. In almost any dispute, he who has the most documentation wins. I won.
I hear that!

I had a VPN company that was similar. The only way to cancel was to email support. They emailed me back and saying that if I stayed with them, they'd renew for 50% off the price. I said thanks, but no thanks (of course, in writing since it was email) and they still wound up trying to renew it. Funny thing is, I kept the service long after they stopped charging me. Just until recently when the CC expired did they finally decide to cancel my premium membership.

I remember another company that was weird about that was Rhapsody. I used their service for music for a little while, but got tired of getting charged, so the only way to cancel was to call their number. I never could get a live person, only a recording. I left a message saying I wanted to cancel. It was the weirdest, most unprofessional way of canceling a service contract. But, it worked. They canceled my membership and no loss, no foul, but it was strange.

I've found the best way to go about these things is asking the company to bill you for ever how long of a commitment you agree with, send me the bill and in writing of what we agreed to, and I'll pay for it. I did that with XM radio, and it worked. They are notorious for being hard to cancel. Even after that point, I still got robocalls from them about my account being terminated if I didn't pay up. LOL! I agreed to six months at X amount and told them to bill me that I didn't use credit cards, so they did. It was all on the up and up. I sent them a one lump sum check for what we agreed upon and used the service for that length of time. Decided, I didn't want it anymore, and that was it.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:53 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,011 times
Contact your CC and dispute the charge.

I use webroot. its cheap, easy, and its not a resource hog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers