Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

My computer system is very badly corrupted. I have the free version of Auslogics Boost Speed and it indicates that I have 1824 system stability issues and 55 computer speed issues. The free version of Auslogics doesn't offer the fix it feature.

The computer is extremely sluggish, and not just internet speed. I can't get into many sites because the computer just hangs up. I also have at least one computer virus, apparently the Zeus virus, and my free version of Avast doesn't get rid of it and actually says I don't have any virus. Also I think a virus may be responsible for an audio message which keeps coming up which says ''50 Cent Accused Of Stealing Jewelry.'' This news message just started happening out of nowhere a few days ago and I have no idea what is causing it to come up.

System restore is corrupted and won't work. I have an application called Netwait from when I had a dialup internet connection years ago. The system still thinks that Netwait is trying to install itself and therefore I'm not able to remove it from the system. For the last week I can't see imbedded YouTube videos on City-Data.

There's just a boatload of system problems. Would a fix it utility like System mechanic resolve my problems or would it be better to take the computer to Best Buy and have them put my computer back to store bought condition?

I have Windows 10 and the Internet Explorer 11 browser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
With all the issues you described, I'd be inclined to start fresh (assuming all your important stuff is backed up). If you have an installation disk, you could reformat and reinstall the OS. Otherwise, take it back and let the store do it.

It sounds like you need to up your game with antivirus and malware protection.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
With all the issues you described, I'd be inclined to start fresh (assuming all your important stuff is backed up). If you have an installation disk, you could reformat and reinstall the OS. Otherwise, take it back and let the store do it.

It sounds like you need to up your game with antivirus and malware protection.
I guess taking it to the store and having it reformatted is probably the best thing to do.

I had an installation disk made when I bought the computer, but apparently I was supposed to know some command to start it. It didn't do anything when I put it in the disk drive. So that was wasted money.

What is your opinion about 'Malware Bytes'? I was looking at it at the store yesterday. It claims to remove worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, viruses, bats, and other Malware. Is it as good as it claims?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:16 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
You should be able google instructions on how to use the installation disk for your computer. It might be something like: put in the disk and hit F7 or whatever F key the computer maker decided to use. One way to protect against malware and hard drive failure is cloning the hard drive. Swap the bad one with the clone, then clone again.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Most newer desktops and laptops have what is called a 'Recovery Partition', thereby allowing you to restore your computer to factory condition. What is the brand and model of your computer?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I had an installation disk made when I bought the computer, but apparently I was supposed to know some command to start it. It didn't do anything when I put it in the disk drive. So that was wasted money.
You need set the DVD drive as first boot device. When the computer starts there should be a page that says hit XX to enter BIOS. XX varies by computer manufacture, might be F8 or whatever. Hit the key you to enter BIOS and find the list for boot devices, make sure the DVD drive is set as first one. Save and reboot the computer with the disk in the drive, it should boot into windows recovery or whatever is on the Disk.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You should be able google instructions on how to use the installation disk for your computer. It might be something like: put in the disk and hit F7 or whatever F key the computer maker decided to use. One way to protect against malware and hard drive failure is cloning the hard drive. Swap the bad one with the clone, then clone again.
I never thought about doing that. I'll google it and see what comes up. Thanks.

I also found the recovery disk from my previous computer. It was for Windows 7 as is my current PC although I updated my present PC to Windows 10 when Microsoft offered it for free some time back. But the PC's are different models. Since that recovery disk was for a different computer would it work for the PC I have now?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Most newer desktops and laptops have what is called a 'Recovery Partition', thereby allowing you to restore your computer to factory condition. What is the brand and model of your computer?
I have a Hewlett-Packard Compac 100B SFF PC (Adina). It's six years old. Under Advanced Recovery Tools it has an option to create a recovery drive if that's what you're referring to. But don't you have to do that when you first set up the system, before any problems have developed?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need set the DVD drive as first boot device. When the computer starts there should be a page that says hit XX to enter BIOS. XX varies by computer manufacture, might be F8 or whatever. Hit the key you to enter BIOS and find the list for boot devices, make sure the DVD drive is set as first one. Save and reboot the computer with the disk in the drive, it should boot into windows recovery or whatever is on the Disk.
My computer doesn't show that page when you first boot to tell you which key to hit to enter bios, but I know what you're talking about as my previous PC did show that page when I booted. I'll have to find out which function key it is. F8 does sound familiar. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:47 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
thecoalman recommended this approach for me and it went well and now I have a clean install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers