Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok, so the adobe program that came installed with W10 (if I ever get my computer back from those people) is not sufficient to save my word document to? The way I see it, I need to save it as a pdf, then print that out. And if I manage to get it to a pdf format I can attach it to the email directly from that without printing and scanning it, right?

So I take my word template all typed in and save as to the pdf program, located in my documents and go from there?

If the W10 adobe program isn't sufficient, I'll need to put another program in here. I could do that with my xp, another thing to learn here.

(ok just a heads up, I have a brain problem which makes learning harder for me than most). I actually take medicine for it. Great. I have an excuse...
Yes. The program(s) we have recommended are the ones that end up in your list of printers. It's not that the programs we recommend are actually printers, but they act like one to the computer.

So you send the Word document to that program/printer, save it to the computer - and you decide where it's saved- then use Adobe Reader (which is probably the one that came with your computer) to open the file then print it or, as you mentioned you can attach the file to an email. Attaching to the email doesn't require adobe Reader.

I think you've pretty much got it figured out and working with it after you get the computer back will bring all this together.

If it doesn't come right back here and we will walk you through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 02:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Ok, I was actually successful in getting a document into a pdf and attaching it to an email. The part that was confusing, actually a couple parts, was that I'd saved as the typed proposal to documents (which at this point is changeable whole template) and then I opened that and clicked on file, export, changed it to pdf which actually made a copy of the typed form in pdf. There were no other commands to save it or move it, etc. So I did nothing and just closed it with the x.

At that point since I didn't do anything to save it I expected it to disappear, but on the list in documents there it was right underneath the first saved word template. That feels iffy to me that it just was there without me telling it to save and give a destination.

Anyway, I wrote the email, tried to attach by using the file name: client project prop.pdf and got the message that it couldn't be found. So I went into documents and clicked on it there and attached it from there.

Why didn't it attach when I just put the name in?

Also, my template has 2 pages. My typing only filled one page and I put the signature lines on the bottom of the first, so the 2nd was blank. When I saved (as) it I got the 1st page and the blank second one. Anybody know how to only get the 1st page saved? Sometimes I have 2 or more pages... but I don't want to be sending blank ones.

When I exported it to pdf it did both pages. Client knows we're learning new computer so it's not a problem, I'm just astounded I got this far.

And I didn't have to put another pdf program in there, I found it right where some of you said it was.

My observation of this W10: every thing I've done so far including excel and word, when 1 click did it on the xp I now have to go into 2-3 screens and click a few places. They sure made it complicated.

Thank you everyone for helping me get this far. Really appreciate it.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
It sounds like you might have some hidden formatting marks at the end of the document that are spilling over to the 2nd page. Turn on the Show Formatting switch and delete anything that isn't needed (returns, tabs, spaces, etc.).

Show formatting

Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Thanks for the link. It's possible, I will check that out. However, there is a company heading at the top of the second page, which is always going to be there and I really don't want to get rid of that. I guess I will just fool around with it and see what I can do. If I don't save any of my changes, I can't really do any damage, right?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Save it under a different name. xxxxtest1 for example. Don't mess with the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers