Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 01:12 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times

Advertisements

I don't need to use one right now, but do you use a USB stick on Ubuntu Linux? Before I upgraded to 18.04 LTS I tried using a memory stick. I plugged the stick into one of my USB ports and nothing happened. I did manage to d/l the update and took care of it that way.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
need more info..
What are you trying to do exactly? Run linux off a usb? upgrade..?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Did you review the documentation? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
need more info..
What are you trying to do exactly? Run linux off a usb? upgrade..?

I was trying to upgrade the version of Ubuntu Linux i was using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Did you review the documentation? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

I don't think that it came with one. I bought it on eBay.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM

you can do it whout the usb.

open up shell or term and run apt-get upgrade
besure to admin rights.

sudo apt-get upgrade

Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I'd suggest partitioning the hard drive and putting Ubuntu 18.04 on it. You can do so much more that way than from a stick. I did the stick for a while. It got to be a pain in the .... Now I have Variety Desktop which changes the wallpaper every minute. Seldom will you see the same wallpaper again. It also has a programmable clock. You can install KPatience which has 9 versions of Solitaire. The hardest part of Ubuntu is knowing how to open a terminal. Real easy once you've been shown. Ctr-Alt-T opens a terminal. Like posted about, all you have to do is see about what you want to happen. There will be the actual line of type such as the sudo apt-get upgrade, copy and paste it in the terminal and stand back. You might have several lines to enter but it's easy peasy. If it wasn't for some programming I need, I wouldn't allow Microsoft on my PC at all. You'll still have both MS and Ubuntu and the option of which you want to load at startup. TONS of free software for Ubuntu including financial, word, games, video, audio, etc. You will need several of these to really have Ubuntu up and cruising. You'll need to allow for vids. That wasn't an option for me working from a stick.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
you can do it whout the usb.

open up shell or term and run apt-get upgrade
besure to admin rights.

sudo apt-get upgrade

Thanks for the info. I'm currrently running 18.04, how does 18.04.1 run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd suggest partitioning the hard drive and putting Ubuntu 18.04 on it. You can do so much more that way than from a stick. I did the stick for a while. It got to be a pain in the .... Now I have Variety Desktop which changes the wallpaper every minute. Seldom will you see the same wallpaper again. It also has a programmable clock. You can install KPatience which has 9 versions of Solitaire. The hardest part of Ubuntu is knowing how to open a terminal. Real easy once you've been shown. Ctr-Alt-T opens a terminal. Like posted about, all you have to do is see about what you want to happen. There will be the actual line of type such as the sudo apt-get upgrade, copy and paste it in the terminal and stand back. You might have several lines to enter but it's easy peasy. If it wasn't for some programming I need, I wouldn't allow Microsoft on my PC at all. You'll still have both MS and Ubuntu and the option of which you want to load at startup. TONS of free software for Ubuntu including financial, word, games, video, audio, etc. You will need several of these to really have Ubuntu up and cruising. You'll need to allow for vids. That wasn't an option for me working from a stick.

I'm happy for thr one wallpaper I run. I've never had Windows on my laptop.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM

runs great, i use it for the OS to run my kodi box.. never had any issues with ubuntu that i can remember honestly..

when they switch to that stupid side bar at first was glitch real bad, resource hog.. But they iron that out and change up the UI a little bit ya golden.

More friendly version is linuxmint.. Allows you to do drag and drop desktop and other things, unlike ubuntue does.. kinda wish they implement that..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:53 AM

I've never been able to get Kodi to work on my system. I've installed it before, but nothing would play. I like how simple Ubuntu is to use.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 AM

You have to search up a build to make things work. Cant really post things here, but search up Kodi Builds and follow the directions. Ya thank me later.

Use the kodi linux directions then once you done that, then search up kodi builds to get the build that suits your taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers