Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:32 PM

209 posts, read 254,295 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide answers to why firefox opens on its own occasionally after the computer is turned on?

Could there be any other reasons other than a virus? Or is a virus the only possible reason?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM

7,527 posts, read 13,653,901 times
Was FireFox still running when you shut down the PC ?

Is the PC set to re-open any apps that were still running when last shut down ?

Most likely an OS (Windows, Mac, Linux) setting. Not FF, not virus.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
If it's a Mac, the default behavior is to reopen everything that was open when the computer is shut down.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,834,342 times
You are more likely to get help if you provided specifics.

Clarify: What is your Operating System? (Win10, Win7, Mac, etc).
Clarify: Does this happen only occasionally.
Clarify: Does it only happen after your computer crashes?

It's almost certainly NOT a virus or malware. They do "bad" things, not "annoying" things.

Best guess?
If you're running windows, then if Firefox is open, and your system crashes, when you start it back up, all that were open before the crash will try to restart by themselves, including FF.
If it happens every time you boot up your Windows, then FF might be set to auto-start.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
"Best guess?
If you're running windows, then if Firefox is open, and your system crashes, when you start it back up, all that were open before the crash will try to restart by themselves, including FF."

LOL! Nope. I just had that happen, and the restart did not (nor should it) reopen programs running at the time of the Windows fart. Once Windows is again running and you restart ff, it will ask you about a restore session.

Just a WAG, but maybe a weather app that sits open on the desktop, but uses ff to gather the info?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:28 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Best guess?
If you're running windows, then if Firefox is open, and your system crashes, when you start it back up, all that were open before the crash will try to restart by themselves, including FF."

LOL! Nope. I just had that happen, and the restart did not (nor should it) reopen programs running at the time of the Windows fart. Once Windows is again running and you restart ff, it will ask you about a restore session.

Just a WAG, but maybe a weather app that sits open on the desktop, but uses ff to gather the info?
I find it odd that you laugh at and dismiss the statement as if its absurd, when in fact modern versions of Windows and macOS both do this, and have for quite some time.

And then you venture into totally unfounded speculation about weather apps opening Firefox to fetch data...

Old 11-04-2018, 03:00 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
Does Windows 10 still use the startup folder?

Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Best guess?

I had to force shutdown my laptop the other day. When I restarted it FF opened with all tabs.

W10 Pro

Old 11-06-2018, 01:07 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I had to force shutdown my laptop the other day. When I restarted it FF opened with all tabs.

W10 Pro
Perhaps the differences are that mine is not Pro, and it committed suicide all on its own, while you assisted yours in its death throes?

Regardless of the OS, IMO an automatic restart after a crash - without the chance for user intervention to agree or disagree - seems brazen. What happens when there is a program that, upon automatic restart automatically crashes the OS again? Do we get an endless loop? It also seems a bit embarrassing for an OS to say, in effect, "Whoopsie, I crashed and burned for some reason I couldn't figure out at the time, but for your convenience, I'll put you right back where you were before the crash." That seems as cheeky or stupid as a passed-out drunk waking up and immediately resuming driving a car.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,492,931 times
A browser WILL open previously opened tabs if set to do that.

A Mac may but Windows 7, 10 or whatever will not UNLESS you are hibernating it as on a laptop. A regular shutdown, re-start will not do that.

As for FF starting up automatically on a Windows machine it is either "waking up" from a hibernation or it set to "Auto Start" which is entirely possible but it doesn't happen all by itself, you have to set it to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers