Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Questioning this statement.

If you have an audio CD an create .iso file you could copy it to another disc but the system is going to recognize it as .iso file at least out of the box. You can mount .iso files as drives. Of course if you wanted working audio disk you would just copy/clone it.

The primary use of image is if you were going to be storing it and/or transfer. It's similar to zip file but specifically for disks. It's a single fie which is important if you are trying to move a lot of files. A bunch of little files can take a significantly longer amount of time to transfer because of the overhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Simply put, cloning (verb) is the process of making an exact copy of one disk to another.

Imaging is the act of creating a backup of an entire disk or partition and saving it in one file (an image). It can be used to do "bare metal" restores which will restore OS, programs, everything in one process. With this image file, you can get a new hard drive and create a clone of the original disk. You can save this file for later use.

I backup all PC's and servers at our company using image backups. Some are done daily, some are done weekly. Instead of backing up the entire disk every time, I use differential backups. The first backup will be a full backup, the subsequent backups will be differential, that is, they contain only the changes that happen since the last backup.

Just a little background on imaging and probably off topic, sorry.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:10 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
OK. Ordered a new SSD from Crucial, who gave me a list of suitable SSD's that are compatible with my ASRock H81M Motherboard.
It comes with Acronis cloning software, which has pretty good reviews, so I'll probably be able to figure it all out.

I was interested in Coalman's RAID1 array, but my little ASRock Motherboard is a low-end device and won't support RAID. I have another computer case and power supply that I can use, so maybe my next computer will be a bit more sophisticated, cause I sure like the idea.

To all who may be contemplating a build:
I am 74 years old, and this was my first build. Retired, I am the guy who gets all the broken weedeaters and lawnmowers in from the neighborhood. I'm an old hot-rodder, mechanic, glider pilot, Viet Nam vet, truck driver, salesman and probably a bunch of other things.
You won't believe the kick you'll get out of figuring out all this crap, buying what you need, and putting it all together. It'll take a lot of time and you'll spend a lot of time learning the language and so forth. In the end you may be like me and make a trip down to the pawn shop to buy your monitor, but that's part of the fun, too.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I was interested in Coalman's RAID1 array, but my little ASRock Motherboard is a low-end device and won't support RAID. I have another computer case and power supply that I can use, so maybe my next computer will be a bit more sophisticated, cause I sure like the idea.

You can do RAID through Windows.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ho...-10,36783.html

It's software RAID, which means you will take something of a performance hit, but.. I suspect you won't even notice it on home usage. I can't recall that i've ever done a software RAID setup through windows, but.. Point is, you can do it.

Not something I'd do on a server setup.. But home device..

Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can do RAID through Windows.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ho...-10,36783.html

It's software RAID, which means you will take something of a performance hit, but.. I suspect you won't even notice it on home usage. I can't recall that i've ever done a software RAID setup through windows, but.. Point is, you can do it.

Not something I'd do on a server setup.. But home device..
RAID1 is fine for what it is but you would still some type of regular backup. If you accidentally delete a file a RAID1 setup would not help you. RAID1 is useful if your hard drive fails but not much else.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

You can buy a RAID controller fairly cheap.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Perfection!
Thanks, Y'all. I got the new SSD from Crucial and they provided free access to cloning software. I didn't have a USB to SATA cable, so I had to pick one up and got a chance to do the job today.
Cloned.
Power off.

Screwdriver work to put it in.
Power on.
Could not be more pleased. Everything is right where it should be..

Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Thanks for letting us know. So often it doesn't happen.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I just installed an SSD too. Crucial, of course.
Had 800G on a 2TB spinner, migrated to a 1 TB SSD.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Thought i'd bump this because a Sandisk SSD that I purchased in February to upgrade a laptop failed on me.

It did NOT flat out fail. It was giving classic "bad HDD" problems. On boot, some visual C++ runtime files were missing, things were crashing.. When diagnosing it, I found the bad read errors in the logs which told me it needed to be replaced.

I got a replacement and stuck the drive in our disk duplicator.. that didn't end well. Duplicator said the master was bad and refused to copy.

Tried copying it using EaseUS ToDo.. It complained it saw bad sectors and I needed to do the sector-by-sector copy.. Did that, it didn't like that.. Said I needed to make a boot (WinPE, I believe) disk.. Did that.. Took about 36 hours to copy a 1TB drive.. but it did succeed.

Once it finished, had to do some cleanup to repair the things that were over the bad sectors (And there were a number of them) such as reinstalling C++ runtimes.. But.. I was able to recover.

Just wanted to put this out there because of what I said earlier about being concerned about them just flat out failing. Seems it doesn't always happen that way. I've only got this one experience with it, so can't say if this was rare, normal or what, but.. It's the experience I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers