Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times

Advertisements

I picked up a pair of Polk outdoor speakers probably 10 years ago on clearance. Hung them from the overhang out back and sealed everything up, ran the cables down the siding. I plug them into a Sonos amp. Works great, controllable from damn near anything with a wifi connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I want to hook an outdoor speaker to my desktop. I plan on drilling a hole in the wall for the cable. What distance from the PC would be the maximum I could put the speaker. I'm thinking the longer the cable, the more problems I would encounter. Hopefully, this is not a silly question as I am a complete novice at this. I tried a Bluetooth and was not satisfied.
The way I do it in my computer room/office is I run HDMI from my desktop to an AV receiver and from there run speaker wire to the speakers. I have a 5.1 setup, that is 2 front, 2 rear, a center and subwoofer. You could just run a stereo setup to two speakers. Using BT usually limits you to one speaker although there are 2 speaker stereo BT setups. I would also like to say that bluetooth comes in all shapes and sizes and am wondering what you saw/heard because some BT speakers are quite impressive. I especially like Altec Lansing BT speakers but there are other kickass speakers out there. Here is the lightning, a 15" speaker setup and you can actually pair two of these for a stereo setup. Amazon has them for $300 each. Where and what are you going to be listening to? These are amplified and yes you can run them with a wire as well.

Lightning – Altec Lansing

Old 04-22-2019, 04:04 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I have a wood lot approx. 150 feet from my house, and I'm running an experiment to see if I can attract the lot's resident birds to my backyard by mimicking their calls. (Yes, I realize I can put out feed, but that is not the point.) So what I'm looking for is a speaker that will project a relatively high frequency sounds for a distance. I've tried a couple of cheaper Bluetooth speakers, but was way less than satisfied with the results.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I've tried a couple of cheaper Bluetooth speakers, but was way less than satisfied with the results.
I'm curious, what was not satisfactory? The volume? If that is the case, there are many BT speakers which IMO would be PLENTY loud as in too loud. The ION brand comes to mind as well as the Altec I mentioned.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I got one of these packages from Best Buy which I'm pleased with. It shows $799 at the moment but I bought mine when it was on sale for around $550 (which is a good price for the speakers when you consider the cost of the Sonos:Amp alone.)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonos-s...?skuId=6196623

In my case it was retrofitting existing wired outdoor speakers so I didn't have to run more wire.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm curious, what was not satisfactory? The volume? If that is the case, there are many BT speakers which IMO would be PLENTY loud as in too loud. The ION brand comes to mind as well as the Altec I mentioned.
I tried a couple of Bluetooths several years ago from Walmart, and they could barely be heard 20 feet away. Plus, they couldn't be heard at all through a brick wall. If the technology has improved since, I'd be all for it.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I tried a couple of Bluetooths several years ago from Walmart, and they could barely be heard 20 feet away. Plus, they couldn't be heard at all through a brick wall. If the technology has improved since, I'd be all for it.
As far as volume goes, I think you would be more than satisfied with the proper bluetooth speaker/s. The iON brand makes some that are SUPER loud, same goes for the Altec's I mentioned. The brick wall thing is not the speaker's fault but the bluetooth. It is not capable of penetrating walls, whether brick or not. It was designed for line-of-sight transmissions. That said, all of the speakers allow a connection using a wire. So the question is how far do you need to run the wire? Another option is Wifi speakers or a Wifi receiver/amplifier.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We have Sonos Ones. Walls are no problem. Neither is volume. Just ask our neighbors, lol. Wireless except for the Playbar.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
As far as volume goes, I think you would be more than satisfied with the proper bluetooth speaker/s. The iON brand makes some that are SUPER loud, same goes for the Altec's I mentioned. The brick wall thing is not the speaker's fault but the bluetooth. It is not capable of penetrating walls, whether brick or not. It was designed for line-of-sight transmissions. That said, all of the speakers allow a connection using a wire. So the question is how far do you need to run the wire? Another option is Wifi speakers or a Wifi receiver/amplifier.
I need at least 25 feet. Fifty would be better.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Get a spool of speaker wire and connect to the speaker, then run it to your computer. You'd want a 1/8 phone connector on that end; not too difficult to wire (check YouTube) Ideally soldered, but okay just wired. Plug it in and see if you can pump enough power / volume to the speaker. If not, buy a small audio amplifier. Send the computer audio out to it, and the audio out from the amp to the speaker using the same wire running to it. Should be under $60, and maybe much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers