Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times

Advertisements

I just read for the umpteenth time that a Windows update is causing people's computers to fail, this time wifi drivers made by a certain company.

Why does this keep happening since about a year ago? Don't the people at MS test their updates on different computers? Aren't their engineers aware these things can happen?

If you had a Windows 10 computer working okay and you loaded an update and suddenly wifi stopped working, wouldn't you be mad? You have to download a new wifi driver, which wouldn't be fun if you don't have wifi anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 01:46 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
There's a bit more to it. Windows runs on a large number of hardware platforms and support an enormous amount of peripherals. To that point, there is mutual accountability between both MS and the manufactures of the peripherals.

What I have seen (and not saying this is the case) is that third-parties get lazy with updating drivers/software. Hey it works, we don't need to update it. And this is the case until it breaks. Some may take shortcuts by not developing software in accordance with what MS expects. You'd expect MS to provide some notification process (I'm not at all a developer, but I would guess there is some SDLC process that takes place with 3rd party companies).

Not defending Windows. But this isn't something unique. Hence with business-critical systems, you don't apply patches/updates until you get the okay from software vendors. e.g. You have a mission-critical software that backends to a MS SQL cluster. You don't just apply a SQL patch when released. You work with the software vendor who will do the testing, etc. and give you the okay to apply the patch. And even then, you apply it to the test environment first.

In this case, you would look up your PC manufacturer or the WIFI card vendor and see if they have solutions/work around..

Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Happened to me when I updated a week ago. I blame MS, the rest are small fish. My issue is with the operating system not periphals. I reloaded Chrome to fix some issues and reset the defaults, this fixed nothing and created new issues. So I went for the windows update hoping it was a patch... fixed nothing and again a few other things got worse. I keep kicking my self for going with MS again. But I like ASUS machines and get windows from my vendor.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why does this keep happening since about a year ago? Don't the people at MS test their updates on different computers? Aren't their engineers aware these things can happen?

They cannot possibly test updates against every possible piece of hardware.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:37 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I don't know if this helps put this in perspective, but in Colorado Springs I knew a gentleman who fixed home computers as a full-time business. He both went to people's homes and worked in their homes, and also worked in his shop at his home. He fully supported himself and his family on this business, and had been doing so for more than a decade. He lived in a very nice home, had a nice car, he was doing well.

With one of these issues in the news, I asked him how often he had had to work on computers where these problems popped up because of a failed update of Windows. His answer surprised me. Never.

I know it must be devastating when someone does have this happen to them, but apparently it is a rare occurance when you consider that 1.5 billion people use the software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers