Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 09:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Anyone else had this problem? Our IT team is stumped.

At random occurrences when we click on "save" in a word document word just instantly vanishes. Word is gone. The document is gone. There is no back up of the document despite setting the backup feature to every 2 minutes. Little is worse than working for two hours and having it disappear when you try to save it.

IT cannot find anything because they cannot replicate the problem. It happens at random and it happens to multiple users.We each have our own computer. We save to Onedrive but the back up is to the Users - roaming- office- word - - -- path. There are some documents in that back up file but none of them can be opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 12:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Although I don't know how your systems are configured, I can guess what is happening is that you have cache problems. They have been around for ages and got worse in early Windows networking.

A physical write from cache to a drive sometimes doesn't work or doesn't happen. Then, when there is an error somewhere, it all goes pear shaped and stuff that a program SAYS was saved never was and is completely lost. I have no idea how many levels of caches you have or how you network, but there are caches in the processors, caches on drives, network caches, caches that exist above caches. Mostly they work properly and speed things along, but sometimes they don't.

I first became aware of such issues when I had my multiple point POS stations updating serial number files on a master computer back before the turn of the century. I could not reliably get serial number files updated properly every sale, even if I tried to force a write. I tried every trick in the book to bypass the network caching and still had times that updates weren't handled properly by the OS and networking software. I ended up creating workarounds that resolved things, but those were specific to my software and won't work for you. It still irritates me that I had to, in essence, write an error handler for Windows networking failures, and another one for when things got REALLY f***ed up and I had to rebuild data.

Finding the root of a cache failure can be a bear beyond the capabilities of many people, even if they have a general idea of the issue. FWIW, I seem to remember some hardware was better than others at doing what I wanted, so I wouldn't rule out hardware problems.

The kludge that you can resort to until there is a fix is to do multiple manual saves, preferably alternating between drives, every few minutes with different file names and even using different file types. At the top of the hour, you might save Temp1, at quarter after Temp2, etc. The point is to NOT overwrite your last successful backup file as auto backup and restore commonly do, but have at least two completely independent files. DOing so not only gives you a backup of your backup, but is more likely to push an actual write of the files. It is good to stretch every 20 minutes anyway, so set a timer and save your work then stretch.

Understand though, it has been years since I messed with this, and there may be simpler ways to set up saves now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers