Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 10:42 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

Maybe this can't be done or is too complicated for me to try but I'll ask.

On Apple Mac, I can open Safari and get to the Bing search engine. I do not want to make Bing my search engine -- yet - perhaps later. I only want a Bing icon on my desk top. But the only instructions I find are to make it my home page or to make it my default search engine. Can I just put an icon on my desktop and is it simple? Especially, is it simple? If not, I'll wait until we are all back to normal (whatever that is) and let my computer friend do it.

Thank you. hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
If Bing is in your Favorites for Safari, just drag and drop its icon (not text) to your Desktop. You should get a icon titled "bing.webloc"

However, if Safari is not your Mac's default browser, it will open Bing in whatever is your default browser.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:42 PM

If, by "browser", you mean what I think you do, my Safari does not show itself as a browser. It has (icons?) for a number of browsers: Google, Bing, Yahoo; then a number of other things like Linkedin, Facebook, Cloud, Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc. As for Favorites, I do not keep a list because I don't use the computer that much. I just have an icon for each of the most-used sites and use those. My computer friend put those there. Maybe all of that is why it opens in Google. What I like about it is how it brings up links. Much better than how Google does it.

Remember when all you did was click on an empty desk top space and then right click on a site's page and it let you choose to put it on your desk top.

And, isn't Windows 10 now using Bing?

Thanks

Old 04-14-2020, 02:23 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
Hello Hazel

Yes you should be able to Goto bing and right click on the page and choose 'CREATE SHORTCUT' .. it should be placed on your desktop and you can rename it "Bing"

When I search from my address bar the page is Bing that comes up.....

Old 04-14-2020, 04:07 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
If, by "browser", you mean what I think you do, my Safari does not show itself as a browser. It has (icons?) for a number of browsers: Google, Bing, Yahoo; then a number of other things like Linkedin, Facebook, Cloud, Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc. As for Favorites, I do not keep a list because I don't use the computer that much. I just have an icon for each of the most-used sites and use those. My computer friend put those there. Maybe all of that is why it opens in Google. What I like about it is how it brings up links. Much better than how Google does it.

Remember when all you did was click on an empty desk top space and then right click on a site's page and it let you choose to put it on your desk top.
And, isn't Windows 10 now using Bing?
Thanks
Safari is a browser, just like FireFox, Chrome, Edge, and others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)

Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo and others are Search Engine websites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search

Google, Bing, Linkedin, Facebook, etc are websites that you access via a web browser.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Safari is a browser, just like FireFox, Chrome, Edge, and others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)

Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo and others are Search Engine websites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search

Google, Bing, Linkedin, Facebook, etc are websites that you access via a web browser.

You are right. I got my tongue tangled. Safari has no search engine of it's own. It has a bunch of search engines' icons (or whatever you call them) and we select the one we want to use. List is above. The rest I knew were not search engines.

Nos dawch. Hazel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers