Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 08:32 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
IMHO that is the main reason, pure laziness and/or inability to create an effective search query
Or, they are morans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:47 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
These are the same people who never learned how to use a card catalogue when I went to school (A card Catalogue was a big wooden cabinet with lots of 'pages', aka cards, organized in a logical manner which would point you to where the information you wanted was located on a shelf)

They also could not use 'The Readers Guide to Periodical Literature' ( A sears of bound volumes that came out several times a year that would point you to every magazine article on any subject. Then you could either go into the 'stacks' and find the magazine you needed or have a Librarian get it for you (Some libraries didn't trust non staff in the stacks because the morons would mess them up)

They wanted it spoon fed to them. They and their offspring still demand to be spoon fed.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:52 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
This is the reason God invented Let Me Google That For You!

Old 09-10-2020, 06:44 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I said I saw this occurring in younger people and middle age. IOW, people who have had the benefit of having computers and Internet over a large portion of their lives, or even their entire lives. I never said "old people are computer illiterate"--that's your interpretation of what I said, but it's not what I said.

"I'm not talking about older folks" SURE IMPLIES YOU BELIEVE THAT OLDER PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO PERFORM A SEARCH ON A COMPUTER! SO YES, THAT IS MY INTERPRETATION. IF YOU DIDN'T MEAN IT, WHY SAY IT?
And considering that computers started appearing in homes around 1980 for many people, that means on average, this 72 year old has had close to 40 years of computer usage. There is a good chance I was fiddling around on an old ZEOS computer when you might have been getting your diapers changed (don't know for sure, cause I don't know you, don't want to know you, and good thing, will never know your....don't take that personal, on average I have only liked one of a hundred people I have ever met and most people I have met; hate me and want to kill me.

The examples I gave can definitely be found with 1 online search. I wouldn't count a complicated search that requires digging into esoteric databases. I'm talking someone asking something easy-peasy to find like, "how do you make an egg salad sandwich?" A search doesn't have to be on Google, there are many search engines out there. A search can be done by asking Alexa or a Google Home device, it doesn't require being on a computer. THAN SAY IT THE FIRST TIME NOT AFTER SOMEONE CONFRONTS YOU WITH THE INACCURACY OF YOUR STATEMENT! AS FOR ALEXA OR GOOGLE HOME.....I'M NOT AGAINST PROGRESS, I'M NOT AGAINST TECHNOLOGY BUT THE DAY I HAVE AN INTRUSIVE DEVICE LIKE ALEXA OR THE GOOGLE HOME DEVICE I WILL RIP OUT THE INTERNET CONNECTION. BUT EACH TO THEIR OWN.

My point still stands: I notice a variety of people who, for whatever reason, don't ever think of searching online or won't, even as they are using a computer or smart device and the Internet to post their question, and expect someone else to look things up for them.
YOU MUST BE THE EXPERT TO GO TO AND THAT IS WHY EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO RUN SEARCHES FOR THEM. YOU SHOULD FEEL HAPPY THAT PEOPLE FEEL YOU ARE THE GO TO EXPERT FOR GOOGLE SEARCHES. I'M STARTING TO FEEL SAD THAT NO ONE HAS EVER ASKED ME TO RUN A SEARCH SINCE I RETIRED, EVEN MY OLD FART FRIENDS WHO MUST BE COMPUTER ILLITERATE.
And my point still stands. And I still have to ask that a "EXPERT" like you would make a statement that ANYTHING can be found via a GOOGLE search and THAT IS A LIE! And anyone who knows anything about the internet would know that fact!

I'm done....have a great day. Time to go camping.....

Old 09-10-2020, 07:42 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I just have to jump in because I am a smart a&& and hate the assumption that old folk are computer illiterate and that all people between the ages of 20 to 60 are computer literate. That statement is not correct. I have quite a few friends my age (72) who are extremely good at using a computer and a computer search engine (but I haven't used GOOGLE in years; too intrusive for us OLD FOLK). I have also run into people in that magic 20 to 60 age range who have had a hard time understanding the power switch and how it functions; let alone run a search with any search engine.

As for your statement, " can find info about about anything they want to know through a simple online search," is another crock of poop and an expert like you should realize that fact! YOU CANNOT FIND ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW THROUGH A SIMPLE ONLINE SEARCH. Not everything is available on the internet and might only be available via a closed intranet system or has not been added to the internet.

As for people too lazy to perform a search (of all ages) I would say we all have to live with it so long as we frequent internet sites such as this or other sites; only alternative would be too never use the internet ourselves. I prefer just to ignore them and move on; allowing others to answer. And honestly, never had any of my old folk friends (or even those youngsters ask me to perform a search for them (at least since I have retired and before retiring, let's just say I could search for things you cannot; however, I never did!).
Funny how you state that you don't like the generalization that "old" people are less technology literate. But then immediately make a generalization in the bolded. As if somehow, it won't be intrusive to someone that is younger....?

Age has little to do with it. It's personality, experience, and habit. If you were in an environment where you had a friend or relative that has always been the one that provided answers, you may be more apt to just ask questions and have someone else do said research. Even if the research is less effort than explaining what you are looking for. On the flip side, if you were the type that liked to do the research - it makes sense why you find it annoying that others don't do the same.

We have a tendency to judge/perceive others based on our norms/habits.

I get annoyed when people ask if they should do something. Like they need my permission. Just effing do it! That's what I would do. But I also realize some need that extra reassurance. Or if its a staff of mine - they may have had their hand slapped in the past, so they're just adjusting to that behavior..

Not to get all psycho-analytical. Just my .02, actually.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
This is the reason God invented Let Me Google That For You!
Ha, it's a great little app, but sending that to someone is almost a guarantee there will be hard feelings, they'll feel insulted, and it might result in an unintended confrontation, so anyone using that, tread lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
These are the same people who never learned how to use a card catalogue when I went to school. They wanted it spoon fed to them. They and their offspring still demand to be spoon fed.
I well remember card catalogs. Grew up with them, used them a lot, and also used many periodical search tools, starting with the books, then on CD, then online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very often they just want someone else to search and give them the answers on a silver platter. Not to forget those completely clueless and lacking common sense, or elementary living skills.

So, the answer to your question is somewhat more complex than you thought.

I don't mind, because if the topic is interesting, by searching for the answers I also learn a thing or two
Agree with all of that. I generally don't think people are stupid in these matters, I'm more inclined to think they're working from a position of laziness or entitlement, or feeling helpless.

I'm curious and resourceful and it's satisfying to find the information I need without much trouble, so I use the digital resources available. It's a lot easier to find information now than it was 35 years ago, that's for sure.

It's the old "teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime" vs "catch a fish, give it to the man, and he eats for a day" analogy.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:20 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I think a reason for this is that Google, or any search engine, can bring up results that disagree with each other, or have very different answers, and it can be hard to know which answer is right. You go to a forum and ask, and hopefully find someone with experience who knows. The experienced posters give better answers sometimes than a search does, or helps to know which of the search results to trust. I se no problem with that.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:45 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I well remember card catalogs. Grew up with them, used them a lot, and also used many periodical search tools, starting with the books, then on CD, then online.
I was pointing out that you and I may have but at least 30% never figured out how to use them usually because people would do it for them. Same thing now with search engines (which are a lot easier)

Quote:
I'm curious and resourceful and it's satisfying to find the information I need without much trouble, so I use the digital resources available. It's a lot easier to find information now than it was 35 years ago, that's for sure.
It's the old "teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime" vs "catch a fish, give it to the man, and he eats for a day" analogy.

The problem is too many people expect you to clean cook and serve the fish for them, and others will do it. Some things just defy explanation and you only frustrate yourself when you try to change them

Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The problem is too many people expect you to clean cook and serve the fish for them, and others will do it. Some things just defy explanation and you only frustrate yourself when you try to change them

You are right about that!

I'm already on board with "you can't change others, only your own behavior."

Old 09-11-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think a reason for this is that Google, or any search engine, can bring up results that disagree with each other, or have very different answers, and it can be hard to know which answer is right. You go to a forum and ask, and hopefully find someone with experience who knows. The experienced posters give better answers sometimes than a search does, or helps to know which of the search results to trust. I se no problem with that.
If you wander into any thread in which someone asks how to do something or how to find out information about <topic>, you'll quickly notice responses often disagree with each other, the answers are different or conflicting, or, even more often, the thread will immediately go off-topic into tangents not related to the original question or people will question why the poster even needs the information in the first place. If that's of value then no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers