Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 11:03 AM

18,108 posts, read 15,683,109 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this for quite some time and I bet I'm not the only one.

I encounter so many people (online and IRL) who don't comprehend they can find info about anything they want to know through a simple online search. I'm not talking about older folks who have only had minimal exposure to computers and smartphones and technology, I'm seeing this in people from mid 20s up to 60s.

They'll spend more time writing out a text or post to ask a question that is so easily answered with one or 2 searches on Google (or Bing or whatever search engine one likes).

Examples:

- A somewhat techie person texted me one day and asked me if I knew how to do something in a common commercial software program, because they didn't know. I didn't know the answer since I don't use that software very often and don't use that capability. Out of sheer curiosity I did one Google search and the answer was right at the top of the search results. Took me 20 seconds or less to see the answer. That person could have done this search for themselves, they are smart.

- Another person, with a couple advanced degrees, can't seem to figure anything out without asking for other people to hold their hand and feed them information. They ask and then also give lots of (unneeded) detail. The irony is they're already using a computer. It never occurs to them to use the very tool they're already using, to find the answer. They've asked for how long to cook <simple type of food>, how to update a passport, what type of expert to fix <specific thing>.

Easily answered with one online search, these are not complicated issues.

The web and search engines have been around for >25 years now. My first thought with anything I want to know is "Google."

Is this lack of using a search engine some kind of mental block? Laziness? Learned helplessness?

It boggles my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 11:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
Maybe they like the ideal of human contact. Maybe they like... you?

Old 09-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Maybe they like the ideal of human contact. Maybe they like... you?

Ironically they're not getting human contact because they're using a smartdevice or a computer to ask. And they're not necessarily asking me, though I did give an example where someone did text me, but others are posting publicly online.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:12 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

I encounter so many people (online and IRL) who don't comprehend they can find info about anything they want to know through a simple online search. I'm not talking about older folks who have only had minimal exposure to computers and smartphones and technology, I'm seeing this in people from mid 20s up to 60s.

I just have to jump in because I am a smart a&& and hate the assumption that old folk are computer illiterate and that all people between the ages of 20 to 60 are computer literate. That statement is not correct. I have quite a few friends my age (72) who are extremely good at using a computer and a computer search engine (but I haven't used GOOGLE in years; too intrusive for us OLD FOLK). I have also run into people in that magic 20 to 60 age range who have had a hard time understanding the power switch and how it functions; let alone run a search with any search engine.

As for your statement, " can find info about about anything they want to know through a simple online search," is another crock of poop and an expert like you should realize that fact! YOU CANNOT FIND ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW THROUGH A SIMPLE ONLINE SEARCH. Not everything is available on the internet and might only be available via a closed intranet system or has not been added to the internet.

As for people too lazy to perform a search (of all ages) I would say we all have to live with it so long as we frequent internet sites such as this or other sites; only alternative would be too never use the internet ourselves. I prefer just to ignore them and move on; allowing others to answer. And honestly, never had any of my old folk friends (or even those youngsters ask me to perform a search for them (at least since I have retired and before retiring, let's just say I could search for things you cannot; however, I never did!).

Old 09-09-2020, 02:19 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I just have to jump in because I am a smart a&& and hate the assumption that old folk are computer illiterate and that all people between the ages of 20 to 60 are computer literate. That statement is not correct. I have quite a few friends my age (72) who are extremely good at using a computer and a computer search engine (but I haven't used GOOGLE in years; too intrusive for us OLD FOLK). I have also run into people in that magic 20 to 60 age range who have had a hard time understanding the power switch and how it functions; let alone run a search with any search engine.

As for your statement, " can find info about about anything they want to know through a simple online search," is another crock of poop and an expert like you should realize that fact! YOU CANNOT FIND ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW THROUGH A SIMPLE ONLINE SEARCH. Not everything is available on the internet and might only be available via a closed intranet system or has not been added to the internet.

As for people too lazy to perform a search (of all ages) I would say we all have to live with it so long as we frequent internet sites such as this or other sites; only alternative would be too never use the internet ourselves. I prefer just to ignore them and move on; allowing others to answer. And honestly, never had any of my old folk friends (or even those youngsters ask me to perform a search for them (at least since I have retired and before retiring, let's just say I could search for things you cannot; however, I never did!).
Good points. A lot of older people like myself, started using and fixing computers long ago. A friend of mine not only fixes and uses computers, but he even designs computer circuit boards and programs for the lathes he uses during metalwork. He is over 80 already

Old 09-09-2020, 03:30 PM

I said I saw this occurring in younger people and middle age. IOW, people who have had the benefit of having computers and Internet over a large portion of their lives, or even their entire lives. I never said "old people are computer illiterate"--that's your interpretation of what I said, but it's not what I said.

The examples I gave can definitely be found with 1 online search. I wouldn't count a complicated search that requires digging into esoteric databases. I'm talking someone asking something easy-peasy to find like, "how do you make an egg salad sandwich?" A search doesn't have to be on Google, there are many search engines out there. A search can be done by asking Alexa or a Google Home device, it doesn't require being on a computer.

My point still stands: I notice a variety of people who, for whatever reason, don't ever think of searching online or won't, even as they are using a computer or smart device and the Internet to post their question, and expect someone else to look things up for them.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Quote:

My point still stands: I notice a variety of people who, for whatever reason, don't ever think of searching online or won't, even as they are using a computer or smart device and the Internet to post their question, and expect someone else to look things up for them.
IMHO that is the main reason, pure laziness and/or inability to create an effective search query

Old 09-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Here's another example and this one just happened yesterday:

Someone I know pretty well sent me email and told me their email account got hacked.

They asked if they should download all their emails to their computer before terminating that email account. I said that would be a good idea. Then it was "how do I do that?" I've never used that particular email service, so I did a search and found the step-by-step instructions, which I sent them.

Then they asked me how do they delete their email account on that service, which I don't know, but I found another link for them with exact instructions and pictures showing exactly what to click on.

Later this person messages me that they talked to a nice customer support person in another country and the customer rep helped them, and they're back and restored without having to delete the account, the hacker's forwarding email has been deleted, and the password is changed, and it's only $15/month. $15/month for what? I inquired. "Support."

heh.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:34 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:

They'll spend more time writing out a text or post to ask a question that is so easily answered with one or 2 searches on Google (or Bing or whatever search engine one likes).

Examples:

- A somewhat techie person texted me one day and asked me if I knew how to do something in a common commercial software program, because they didn't know. I didn't know the answer since I don't use that software very often and don't use that capability. Out of sheer curiosity I did one Google search and the answer was right at the top of the search results. Took me 20 seconds or less to see the answer. That person could have done this search for themselves, they are smart.

- Another person, with a couple advanced degrees, can't seem to figure anything out without asking for other people to hold their hand and feed them information. They ask and then also give lots of (unneeded) detail. The irony is they're already using a computer. It never occurs to them to use the very tool they're already using, to find the answer. They've asked for how long to cook <simple type of food>, how to update a passport, what type of expert to fix <specific thing>.

Easily answered with one online search, these are not complicated issues.

The web and search engines have been around for >25 years now. My first thought with anything I want to know is "Google."

Is this lack of using a search engine some kind of mental block? Laziness? Learned helplessness?

It boggles my mind.
Very often they just want someone else to search and give them the answers on a silver platter.
But, there are others who are interested in second opinion, personal experience, different approach that worked for them etc.

And there are... thread generators. People who ask simple questions just to participate in a forum.

Not to forget those completely clueless and lacking common sense, or elementary living skills.

So, the answer to your question is somewhat more complex than you thought.

I don't mind, because if the topic is interesting, by searching for the answers I also learn a thing or two...

Old 09-09-2020, 08:22 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
U Tube is great for how to fix something or take something apart and so on. Plus the pictures are often valuable. there are two kinds of videos, amateur where the person mumbles, has a heavy accent, speaks slowly or softly, tells you everything that anyone already knows and wastes time, jiggling camera, moves real slow.
And more experienced, professional videos that move along, are real informative, tell you what you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers