Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 07:26 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,267,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I love my iPad. I have a Mac desktop too but the pad can do almost everything the desktop can and it’s very easy to use. I just haven’t gotten the nerve to pull the plug on the Mac.

I know what you mean about pulling the plug. I am the same way. Maybe it's how
we started out? Happy T-Day. Wet one here. Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 07:55 AM

19,579 posts, read 9,587,000 times
The problem I have the most isn’t really the iPhone or iPads so much as it is the charging cord. No matter how strong the retailer of said cord is. Eventually the end part where one would plug into the iPad or iPhone gets too much bending and has a tendency to fray or I’m not sure what other term someone (techie?) might use for that. I think I need a new one soon. Sometimes it works - charges, and sometimes not, or stops charging halfway through.

I wouldn’t mind one of those charging pads, but I would need to purchase an iPhone and/or iPad that is much more newer than that which I currently own. I’m not up for that just yet.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:17 AM

19,579 posts, read 9,587,000 times
Being Able To Read The Screen Easier:
I currently have a very old iPad 2 and a 6th (?) Generation one. Wait, 9th Gen one.
So far, visual issues with either hasn’t been too bad until my dry eyes start acting up, or I’m really tired. That’s the heavy eye/s lid syndrome (hereditary I’m told passed down from my Dad but my optomologist s said I wasn’t a candidate to get that corrected/fixed. I’m thinking of finding a new one (optomogist) but haven’t decided who to go to yet).

Hope what I’ve typed this far helps? I’m sure there’s others out there who might be better answering this issue than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Would someone in the know please talk about iPad? I am considering switching

from this desk top computer to an iPad because I am told how much simpler it
is. I like "Simple". Having been told how easy it is to use, what are the

negatives? Everything has some such. Biggest issue for me would be being
able to read the screen easily. Thank you.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:59 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,119,095 times
I do not see an IPad as a laptop or desktop replacement but as a great auxiliary device. Some of the negatives could be resolved by having a separate keyboard but that defeats part of the compact clean configuration of the IPad.

I have no problem with having 3 primary devices:
1) Smartphone for truly portable use, always with me but the display size and screen based keyboard is a nuisance for extended use. Occasional responses on email or social media but primarily texting and reading when I am waiting somewhere (besides the uses as a phone and camera)
2) Tablet - a Kindle, Nook or IPad. I do most of my reading on this along with occasional responses to e-mail or Social media.
3) Laptop with auxiliary (24") screen. This is the workhorse when I am home. Yes it can travel when I am on a trip but it spends 90% of its time sitting on my desk. I like the 'real' keyboard when typing longer messages such as this one. I also use it for document and spreadsheet work
4) Small Tower machine with 2 displays (one set in a vertical orientation). This is my big data storage and document machine. The vertical screen allows me to display a whole page of text at a reasonable size while the other (landscape display) allows me to work with spreadsheets and images at the same time. This machine had been unused for the last six or eight months until I started sorting through some archives that I 'inherited' from a friend related to a mutual hobby. I could do everything I do on it on the laptop with the second screen but it is nice having the tower machine dedicated to that project and being able to leave it part way through a task to do routine day to day functions on the laptop.

Your mileage may vary but it works well for me. I like the clean compact IPad for quick tasks but get frustrated with it for anything involving even a moderate amount of typing. But for reading, casual surfing, taking notes or looking things up in meetings it is great.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I do not see an IPad as a laptop or desktop replacement but as a great auxiliary device. Some of the negatives could be resolved by having a separate keyboard but that defeats part of the compact clean configuration of the IPad.

I have no problem with having 3 primary devices:
1) Smartphone for truly portable use, always with me but the display size and screen based keyboard is a nuisance for extended use. Occasional responses on email or social media but primarily texting and reading when I am waiting somewhere (besides the uses as a phone and camera)
2) Tablet - a Kindle, Nook or IPad. I do most of my reading on this along with occasional responses to e-mail or Social media.
3) Laptop with auxiliary (24") screen. This is the workhorse when I am home. Yes it can travel when I am on a trip but it spends 90% of its time sitting on my desk. I like the 'real' keyboard when typing longer messages such as this one. I also use it for document and spreadsheet work
4) Small Tower machine with 2 displays (one set in a vertical orientation). This is my big data storage and document machine. The vertical screen allows me to display a whole page of text at a reasonable size while the other (landscape display) allows me to work with spreadsheets and images at the same time. This machine had been unused for the last six or eight months until I started sorting through some archives that I 'inherited' from a friend related to a mutual hobby. I could do everything I do on it on the laptop with the second screen but it is nice having the tower machine dedicated to that project and being able to leave it part way through a task to do routine day to day functions on the laptop.

Your mileage may vary but it works well for me. I like the clean compact IPad for quick tasks but get frustrated with it for anything involving even a moderate amount of typing. But for reading, casual surfing, taking notes or looking things up in meetings it is great.

Someone else mentioned the typing being more like texting on a cell phone? That

would indeed be tiresome. Am I reading right? A long message would not work well. And

reading a newsletter like Washington Post with all its inserted ads? Hmmm?

Old 11-24-2022, 10:14 AM

846 posts, read 688,714 times
iPad can handle 95%+ of people's needs perfectly fine. Unless maybe you're trying to do professional video editing, 3d animation, sound engineering, etc.

Another option you may consider is a Macbook Air. When you add up the price of an ipad (especially if you want one with a larger screen), and the other accessories you'd need to make it like a laptop, you might as well buy a laptop. Whether you value a touch screen, or the ability to use MacOS instead of iOS is your preference.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:53 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
I have a 2020 iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. I also have a 2020 M1 MacBook Air. I like both very much, but I use the iPad much, much more often than the air. The Magic Keyboard has an excellent trackpad and very good keys for typing. I prefer typing on the iPad Magic Keyboard more than typing on the MacBook Air. That keyboard was expensive but in my opinion it was worth it. It doesn’t use Bluetooth, and has no battery. The IPad provides the power it needs. I like having both the keyboard and the touchscreen and the Apple Pencil someone gave me. The MacBook Air only has the trackpad,,though it is the best trackpad ever.

The iPad has limitations. It hasn’t lived up to the hype of being a laptop replacement yet. It’s getting better and better though. I use it for 97% of things I do everyday, from browsing, to making presentations, and many other things. The 3% of things that require a real laptop get done on the Air. I’d bet you can do 95+% of what you want on the ipad. Up to you what you want to do. Either one is a good choice.

Old 11-24-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
iPad can handle 95%+ of people's needs perfectly fine. Unless maybe you're trying to do professional video editing, 3d animation, sound engineering, etc.

Another option you may consider is a Macbook Air. When you add up the price of an ipad (especially if you want one with a larger screen), and the other accessories you'd need to make it like a laptop, you might as well buy a laptop. Whether you value a touch screen, or the ability to use MacOS instead of iOS is your preference.

I have a friend who has a MacBook. She likes it. No, all that other fancy stuff I do
not do. Beyond me and not among my needs. Remember the song "Give me the

simple life"? Maybe not. It was some years ago. But that's for me.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:58 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,265,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Someone else mentioned the typing being more like texting on a cell phone? That

would indeed be tiresome. Am I reading right? A long message would not work well. And

reading a newsletter like Washington Post with all its inserted ads? Hmmm?
Yes, it is like typing on your phone. However the virtual keyboard on the screen is as wide as the screen, you can type using both hands like you do with a keyboard. However, using a regular keyboard like the Apple or Logitech ones is the only way for me and most people. There is something else that I like about a detachable keyboard is that is as follows: have you noticed that when you type with the virtual keyboard in you cellphone your fingerprints are left all over the screen? That doesn't happen when you use one of the keyboards some of us have referred to. Also, some of the keyboards protect the iPad all around. The Logitech open I have is a very strong case, that covers the front and back of the iPad when closed. When I open the case, the keyboard is exposed, and the screen is in full view. One can tilt the screen down to the right angle.
https://www.apple.com/ipad-keyboards/

I bought a Logitech keyboard because it's a lot cheaper than the Apple ones. I have gotten used to the keyboard of my MacBook. It has a touch/trackpad, so i don't have to tap anything on the screen. But keep in mind that the keyboard must match the the iPad's model for it to work.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:55 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,609,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree about accessories and keyboards: while I prefer my MacBook Pro (purchased in 2011) to the iPad, the 9th Generation iPad the I purchased earlier this year works to perfection with a Logitech "touch with trackpad" keyboard. The keyboard attaches top the iPad horizontally, at the bottom edge of the screen. The keyboard contacts are magnetically secured to the iPad, and while it has its own battery, it is charged through the iPad via the iPad's charging port. (connecting the charger to the iPad charges both).

But there is one thing I don't like about iOS, and that relates to the difficulties to move "bookmarks, contacts, and so on" from your laptop to the iPad without syncing. I prefer to move music, files, folders, and everything else from all the Apple devices on my network at home, manually. It's quite easy to "import" contacts in any Apple computer, but not so easy to do with iOS.

Now the newer iOS' and iPads allow for moving most files and folders by the use of USB cards (thumb drives), or even SSD's and hard drives connected to the iPad via an adapter. The adapters I use are connected to the iPad's Thunderbolt port (the charging port at the side of the iPad). The adapter has two more ports, one Thunderbolt and the other USB. So now I can plug a USB thumb drive (or flashcard), and it is shown in the iPad's home screen. Once it shows there I can open whatever document, photo, etc., is in the thumb drive, and move it to the iPad.

If I connect a hard drive or SSD to the adapter, the iPad's battery may not have may enough capacity to power the external device. In this case I have to power the iPad and the device with the iPad's charger or any other charger connected to the female Thunderbolt port on the adapter. If the external device is self-powered, then the iPad recognizes it and one can see it in the home screen.
Yep.

I've had that type of setup since 2019.

I have a 3rd Gen cellular 256GB 12.9" iPad Pro and a Hyperdrive 9-in-1 USB-C adapter that allows for pass through charging.

Originally I had it enclosed (from day 1) in an Otterbox Defender case, but I wore off part of the rubber and wore out one corner of the snap on/snap over base.....so I replaced that with Logitech's Slim Folio Pro Keyboard case.

Once I find the right one/right offer on eBay, I'm probably going to add a 2TB 11" 2021 M1 iPad Pro.

(I also have a 2015 Apple year/new in 2016 MacBook Air, a 2020 iPhone SE, and two original SEs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers