Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 09:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,267,649 times

Advertisements

Would someone in the know please talk about iPad? I am considering switching

from this desk top computer to an iPad because I am told how much simpler it
is. I like "Simple". Having been told how easy it is to use, what are the

negatives? Everything has some such. Biggest issue for me would be being
able to read the screen easily. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
My wife and I have had them for years, replaced them too. Mine has it's own cellular phone number so I can get onto the internet without being on wifi.

The negatives I have seen:

Initial cost.
Weak sound, but I use a bluetooth speaker system.
Screen smaller than a typical desktop monitor.
Limited accessories available, most have to come from Apple.
More easily stolen if left in the car.
Virtual Keyboard takes some getting used to.

Benefits:
Compact and easy to travel with.
Exceptional graphics quality.
Yes, easy to use.
Much more reliable than Windows products.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:21 PM

1,504 posts, read 807,591 times
I love mine!

Old 11-23-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife and I have had them for years, replaced them too. Mine has it's own cellular phone number so I can get onto the internet without being on wifi.

Initial cost.

Benefits:
Yes, easy to use.

Thank you. The one thing I wonder about is manipulating that virtual keyboard

- if keyboard is what you call it. Yet I've watched people deal with it at great

speed. Maybe I could get used to it. I plan to go to the Apple Store and try
it out. See how I do on it. In the long run, it might be easier than this desk top
which is not doing so well.

TTY. Hazel

Old 11-23-2022, 01:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,632,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Initial cost.

Benefits:
Yes, easy to use.
While I have a physical office and desktop and laptop, I run my company (60ish person small consulting business) from an ipad. I use it 95% of the time due to my travel schedule.

I agree with most of what was posted above, except for
Keyboard: several apple and accessory optional available
accessories: plenty available, especially with USB-C ipad pro.

All of that said - you'll need to be aware that while ipad OS has made great strides over the past few years, there are things that it doesnt do as well as a windows (or apple) PC. I.e. document management, PDFs, excel docs (almost as good).

Old 11-23-2022, 01:35 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,953,848 times
The major downside to an iPad vs a desktop is storage. If you have a lot of pictures or documents saved, you will need to buy iCloud storage or offload them onto a separate storage device. You can get an iPad Pro with enough storage, but you'll end up paying as much as a computer.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:47 PM

7,530 posts, read 13,673,085 times
Default Touchscreen vs real keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you. The one thing I wonder about is manipulating that virtual keyboard

- if keyboard is what you call it. Yet I've watched people deal with it at great

speed. Maybe I could get used to it. I plan to go to the Apple Store and try
it out. See how I do on it. In the long run, it might be easier than this desk top
which is not doing so well.

TTY. Hazel
Having used a desktop Mac for over 20 years, I recently was given an iPad. I must say that very little is intuitive re learning the iPad.

I too have a older Windows Netbook I used while traveling, but it so old now , after "upgrading (?)" to Win 11, it whines and crys every time I try to use it. ;-)

I am having hard time using touchscreen, so I bought a $30 Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the iPad. Makes typing etc much easier, and mouse helps too.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyb...99&sr=8-5&th=1

You may find that some of your favorite apps are not available for iOS. ( Thunderbird email is my main loss) Apple Mail on the iPad is proving to be marginal/cumbersome. Although Firefox browser is available, I did switch to Safari for other reasons.

Do go to an Apple Store and try one. Ask about any favorite apps.

And yes, the camera function is great, once you learn the buttons to push.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The major downside to an iPad vs a desktop is storage. If you have a lot of pictures or documents saved, you will need to buy iCloud storage or offload them onto a separate storage device. You can get an iPad Pro with enough storage, but you'll end up paying as much as a computer.

Thank you. I am safe on that score. No pictures or such saved on computer. Hazel

Old 11-23-2022, 04:25 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,953,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you. I am safe on that score. No pictures or such saved on computer. Hazel
I love my iPad. I have a Mac desktop too but the pad can do almost everything the desktop can and it’s very easy to use. I just haven’t gotten the nerve to pull the plug on the Mac.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:40 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,265,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
While I have a physical office and desktop and laptop, I run my company (60ish person small consulting business) from an ipad. I use it 95% of the time due to my travel schedule.

I agree with most of what was posted above, except for
Keyboard: several apple and accessory optional available
accessories: plenty available, especially with USB-C ipad pro.

All of that said - you'll need to be aware that while ipad OS has made great strides over the past few years, there are things that it doesnt do as well as a windows (or apple) PC. I.e. document management, PDFs, excel docs (almost as good).
Agree about accessories and keyboards: while I prefer my MacBook Pro (purchased in 2011) to the iPad, the 9th Generation iPad the I purchased earlier this year works to perfection with a Logitech "touch with trackpad" keyboard. The keyboard attaches top the iPad horizontally, at the bottom edge of the screen. The keyboard contacts are magnetically secured to the iPad, and while it has its own battery, it is charged through the iPad via the iPad's charging port. (connecting the charger to the iPad charges both).

But there is one thing I don't like about iOS, and that relates to the difficulties to move "bookmarks, contacts, and so on" from your laptop to the iPad without syncing. I prefer to move music, files, folders, and everything else from all the Apple devices on my network at home, manually. It's quite easy to "import" contacts in any Apple computer, but not so easy to do with iOS.

Now the newer iOS' and iPads allow for moving most files and folders by the use of USB cards (thumb drives), or even SSD's and hard drives connected to the iPad via an adapter. The adapters I use are connected to the iPad's Thunderbolt port (the charging port at the side of the iPad). The adapter has two more ports, one Thunderbolt and the other USB. So now I can plug a USB thumb drive (or flashcard), and it is shown in the iPad's home screen. Once it shows there I can open whatever document, photo, etc., is in the thumb drive, and move it to the iPad.

If I connect a hard drive or SSD to the adapter, the iPad's battery may not have may enough capacity to power the external device. In this case I have to power the iPad and the device with the iPad's charger or any other charger connected to the female Thunderbolt port on the adapter. If the external device is self-powered, then the iPad recognizes it and one can see it in the home screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers