Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 03:39 AM

8,114 posts, read 12,846,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That error code seems to be related to using a 3rd party AV.

What do you use for AV? Malwarebytes by any chance?
Yes I use Malewarebytes however I have attempted to install it after disabling MB on startup and rebooting. Should I uninstall it completely and then reinstall if it updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 07:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,507,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yes I use Malewarebytes however I have attempted to install it after disabling MB on startup and rebooting. Should I uninstall it completely and then reinstall if it updates?
That is what is recommended. This is for a different update, should still apply. It seems MB affects different updates this way. It is a known issue. I did search the update you posted and found similar solutions. This one is nicely laid out.

https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-er...28-windows-11/

You would think Malwarebytes the company would address this problem. Maybe they have but nothing obvious pops up on a search. I don't use MB. Don't know what their support is, can you call, email or maybe all they have is a forum? I would try the above fix. It should work.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/foru...support-forum/

Old 12-15-2022, 09:11 PM

8,353 posts, read 13,505,330 times
Quote:
That is what is recommended. This is for a different update, should still apply. It seems MB affects different updates this way. It is a known issue. I did search the update you posted and found similar solutions. This one is nicely laid out.

https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-er...28-windows-11/

You would think Malwarebytes the company would address this problem. Maybe they have but nothing obvious pops up on a search. I don't use MB. Don't know what their support is, can you call, email or maybe all they have is a forum? I would try the above fix. It should work.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/foru...support-forum/
Good job, gguerra!

I suspected but, didn't expect MalwareBytes to be that aggressive towards Windows Updates!

I mentioned this before that the installed Real-Time scanner had missed malware related files and entries on multiple machines where their own free, standalone Adwcleaner found! I was truly baffled and also disappointed in that program. Heck, Free AVG with its Boot-time scan found and removed actual malware that MB had missed on a few systems I personally worked on.

I hate to say it but their hey days might be behind them...

Old 12-17-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Good job, gguerra!

I suspected but, didn't expect MalwareBytes to be that aggressive towards Windows Updates!

I mentioned this before that the installed Real-Time scanner had missed malware related files and entries on multiple machines where their own free, standalone Adwcleaner found! I was truly baffled and also disappointed in that program. Heck, Free AVG with its Boot-time scan found and removed actual malware that MB had missed on a few systems I personally worked on.

I hate to say it but their hey days might be behind them...
Fact is, no AV is complete and will find everything. I don't think MB is necessarily aggressive towards updates, it's just the way it works that affects updates. I personally haven't seen an update fail in a long time but I just don't pay that much attention to it. It just does it's thing, that's W10.

The MB real time is rated mediocre. Not the best and not the worst.

The on demand scanner is something good to fall back on and it's free. Always has been but again will not find absolutely everything.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Fact is, no AV is complete and will find everything. I don't think MB is necessarily aggressive towards updates, it's just the way it works that affects updates.
Well, I didn't mean "intentionally" but the fact that it is a known issue means it is, by design, aggressive and clearly, problematic towards Windows Updates. That is a serious flaw, especially if disabling alone doesn't help work around the issue. That is a dispacable scanner, imo.

Quote:
I personally haven't seen an update fail in a long time but I just don't pay that much attention to it. It just does it's thing, that's W10.
Same here.

Quote:
The MB real time is rated mediocre. Not the best and not the worst.

The on demand scanner is something good to fall back on and it's free. Always has been but again will not find absolutely everything.
They were highly revered in the years the app surfaced and perceived as the best. Funny, even the best malware scanner goes up and down in quality/detection rating. I suspect it might have something to do with an overhaul of the engine core.

I don't use any Real-Time scanners, never have but I am not someone novice users should copy anyhow.
I used to tell people to use virtual machines as sandbox environment to test software, etc. to isolate their actual (host) machine safe but I realized I had it wrong!
It should be the other way around because main system (host) can never be 100% safe due to the weakest link.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:34 AM

16,570 posts, read 19,780,405 times
OT: MS finally gave us a sandbox. Have you tried it, Turco? It's not bad!

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/windows...-your-computer

(just grabbed the 1st link about it)

Old 12-19-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OT: MS finally gave us a sandbox. Have you tried it, Turco? It's not bad!

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/windows...-your-computer

(just grabbed the 1st link about it)
I wasn't aware of it. I do like its ease to set it up and have a working Windows 10 image right after the required restart post the installation. Compared to Virtual PC or other VM software, it is very quick and easy.
That is all its Pros though. I haven't spend more than a few minutes but it is a lot like the Desktop at Kinko's where each session data gets wiped/lost when it is closed.

Also, shutting it down seemed a bit buggy whether I used the OS Power menu or simply clicked on the X of the application window. Even when powering of from the Start menu, it kept giving a "connection lost" error and asked if I wanted to report it! WTH?

The real Con was the lack of file sharing or file transfer between the VM (guest) and my actual machine (Host).
This would be a bit of a deal-breaker for those who wanted to test something that is already on their system.

That said, for those who wanted to check out a site/link/email attachment or a file they were downloading from a web site, this would work very nicely!

This could be a nice supplement to my existing VBox VMs.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
those who wanted to check out a site/link/email attachment or a file they were downloading from a web site, this would work very nicely!
This is the intended use for it, not really a VM but a sandbox. It's just for running individual programs.

I used to use Sandboxie, still available but that was back in the XP days.

It's been around for years, just in case you had not heard about it.

https://sandboxie-plus.com/sandboxie/

Old 12-24-2022, 06:42 PM

157 posts, read 108,288 times
FYI you can download windows 11 ISO at any time from MS and it will recognize the BIOS stored license at installation whether Retail or VLK or OEM type license; all stored in BIOS...

MS gives 10 and 11 ISOs to you free... The activation it what has a paywall these days

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11/

FYI #2 Sandboxie be default is detectable by malware... Malware will alter it's behavior when it sees a Sandboxie DLL. It's useless for detecting malware as is most VMWare products..

Last edited by 24gf424g; 12-24-2022 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
FYI you can download windows 11 ISO at any time from MS and it will recognize the BIOS stored license at installation whether Retail or VLK or OEM type license; all stored in BIOS...

MS gives 10 and 11 ISOs to you free... The activation it what has a paywall these days

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11/

FYI #2 Sandboxie be default is detectable by malware... Malware will alter it's behavior when it sees a Sandboxie DLL. It's useless for detecting malware as is most VMWare products..
But, what if you are running Sandboxie within Windows Sandbox which is running in VBox which is running on Lindows, then what?

jk.

Merry Xmas to all the geeks everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers