Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 10:45 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times

Advertisements

My windows 11 is no longer updating (it attempts to update and fails every time). I do not know if it is worth it to do a repair on it or not. It has been at least 6 months since it was able to update.

I am thinking about doing an iso image repair. Apparently, there is an option to keep all apps and files.

1) Have you ever done it and if so did it really keep everything?
2) In your opinion is it worth it if the only thing wrong is the update failures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 11:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Windows 10. Did both the save my data and the start over. No problem but it is scary since you have never done it.
Be sure to back up you data.
I have also downloaded a copy of windows to do a repair. I would try that first. (No expertise in the processes)

I don't think I needed to know my product number. This will let you find out your number and a lot of other info about your computer. Might want to run this before you do anything. https://www.belarc.com/products/belarc-advisor

Old 12-12-2022, 12:20 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
It's pretty foolproof. It might (usually does) remove PROGRAMS you've installed, but it does NOT remove your data. Documents, photos, music all still there.

I would try SFC and DISM first. 100% safe to do.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-966e85d4094e

Old 12-12-2022, 03:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My windows 11 is no longer updating (it attempts to update and fails every time). I do not know if it is worth it to do a repair on it or not. It has been at least 6 months since it was able to update.

I am thinking about doing an iso image repair. Apparently, there is an option to keep all apps and files.

1) Have you ever done it and if so did it really keep everything?
2) In your opinion is it worth it if the only thing wrong is the update failures?
Failed updates give error codes.

That is where I would look before anything.

List one or some of them here, maybe I can provide some insight. The KB Number and the error code would suffice.

BTW, you can also download and apply updates manually.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Failed updates give error codes.

That is where I would look before anything.

List one or some of them here, maybe I can provide some insight. The KB Number and the error code would suffice.

BTW, you can also download and apply updates manually.
I've researched the error codes and tried all the suggested fixes without success. I also tried to manually install them without success.

Everything seems to be running fine; just no updates installed.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I've researched the error codes and tried all the suggested fixes without success. I also tried to manually install them without success.

Running repair will not address update issues. That's not what it's about. Repair is usually about fixing boot problems. I've had limited success with that by the way. I've done better just manually fixing the problem but that is about booting, not udpates.

Wiping/Reinstalling may fix the problem. It's a PITA but it may work. It would be a last resort for me.

"Just no updates installed"? There's a reason for everything, should be a reason for this.

I'm a tech, you can still share at least one of the problem updates if you wish. I may be able to offer some insight.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:19 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:

Clearly, everything is not running fine. Updates are a part of normal OS functionality unless they were manually disabled which is not the case.

None of your posts actually shared any details on the errors.
What exactly is happening when, for example, you run any update? What is the full error or message that displays?
I believe you were asked this before but never provided the error codes, right?
Sharing this detail could shed some light on the actual culprit.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:30 PM

I really appreciate the offer to look at my problem.
I am trying to install the following:
2022-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5021234)
I get the following error- Install error - 0x8000ffff

I have been able to install net framework updates and security updates.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:48 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Well, if you are tech savvy or want to do this manually, then you can follow the step-by-step instructions given here but as mentioned on the site, skip step #2 and even step #7 initially, do the rest, reboot and try installing the update again to see.

If you get nervous or wanted to use a tool instead, this tool does just about all of those quickly and properly but please do read this page with info on this tool and how to run it to know exactly which options you need to focus on.

After installing the tool, make sure to right-click on its Desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator"!

This tool is basically a collection of all the native Windows tools and other processes (some mentioned even on this thread) under one script.

You can run them all in the order of the menu but tbh, you really need to focus on the following:
(Skip 1 if you have already created a System Restore Point recently)

Option 2: Resets Windows Update Components
Option 3: Deletes the temp system files
Option 7: Scans image for component store corruption
Option 8: Checks whether the image has been flagged as corrupted
Option 9: Performs repair operations automatically
Option 10: Cleans up the superseded components
Option 11: Deletes any incorrect registry values
Options 13: Reset Microsoft Windows Store

Feel free to run the other check/repair tools between Option 2 and 13 if you like but since your Internet connection is working and you are able to install other updates, resetting WinSock should not be needed, same goes for Disk Checking or System File Checking but it'd not hurt either. After completing all the steps I mentioned, you should restart your computer before trying to install the updates again.

Other than these, there is a chance your system might be infected or there might be a post infection collateral damage. After all, the KB5021234 has mandatory security patches in it as well.

Also, if you do have a Real-Time AV scanner, it'd help to disable it before installing updates (leave it disabled till next reboot).

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate the offer to look at my problem.
I am trying to install the following:
2022-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5021234)
I get the following error- Install error - 0x8000ffff

I have been able to install net framework updates and security updates.
That error code seems to be related to using a 3rd party AV.

What do you use for AV? Malwarebytes by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers