Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 09:10 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times

Advertisements

I think everyone agrees that Windows in general, really sucks. Especially for someone who needs a PC or laptop computer for basic daily tasks - browsing the Internet, file management, running spreadsheets, text and presentation software. Maybe the ability to serve files on a local home network.

I started long ago in the Unix and Vax world (does anyone remember what a Vax was?) so maybe Linux would be a good choice?

Any suggestions? Experiences? Learning curve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 10:38 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,401,446 times
Chromebook!!!

They certainly aren't for everybody, but if it's mostly for stuff that can be done on the internet, they actually work really well, provided that you get one with better than average specs. The cheap ones generally offer a miserable experience, so don't bother with one of those.

The newer ones also have access to the "Google Play" store, so there is most likely an app for almost anything you might want to do with it

Of course I know that many people are leary of letting Google spy on everything that you do, so I understand those who might say no way to that idea.

Chromebooks can actually work out pretty well for what they are though.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:24 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
I second Chromebook for everything but gaming.

Lenovo Yoga C630 which was a high-end one at the time.
- Fast
- Great 15-inch display with a
- Touch screen. Flips to be a large tablet
- Nice look and feel
- Runs Android apps.
- Support for Linux apps for those interested
- Ran Crouton to run a minimal Linux distro for work.
- I'm very much integrated into Google and Google Drive. So spreadsheets, docs, etc.. with their office suite is great.
- Good integration with my Samsung Android phone. Quick data tethering, SMS messaging, screen unlock..
- A bit heavy. Why such a glossy screen? lots of glare

I have a Macbook Air 13 inch circa 2011 that is running ChromeOS Flex.
- Repurposed unsupported Mac that was dog slow now to a great lightweight portable
- Pretty responsive given the age.

I have three Chromebooks (HP and Asus) for my three kids.
- The home IT department (Me!) doesn't have much to do to keep these maintained.

You can run Chromeflex OS on many old hardware to get a taste... Basically turns any numerous old laptops and desktops to a Chromebook.

https://support.google.com/chromeosflex/answer/11552529

The transition from Unix to Linux isn't too bad. As with ChromeOS Flex, you can load it up on some older machines and see if you like it. The nice thing is that there are so many distro's to choose from; some are very purpose-driven. I like Ubuntu which I have on my old 27inch iMac for personal use. I also liked Mint. Try a few out and see which you like. For work, I use mainly Linux... running ontop of a Macbook Pro provided by the company.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:25 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times
Not everyone agrees that Windows sucks. If it sucked so much it wouldnt be the number one OS in the world.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:35 PM

666 posts, read 423,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I think everyone agrees that Windows in general, really sucks.
Most people can't even differentiate a web browser from a search engine. I don't lose sleep over their "choice" of operating system.
Quote:
Especially for someone who needs a PC or laptop computer for basic daily tasks - browsing the Internet, file management, running spreadsheets, text and presentation software. Maybe the ability to serve files on a local home network.

I started long ago in the Unix and Vax world (does anyone remember what a Vax was?) so maybe Linux would be a good choice?

Picking the right flavor of *nix is far less important than just getting the hell off of Windooooooooooooows.

It's like asking which kind of haircut should you prefer in a future suitor while you're still living with an abusive SO. Like, get out of the bad situation first FFS before stressing over details of a hypothetical preference.

Pro-tip, for those who are serious: Try to stop thinking of the visual, graphical interface as the "operating system". In the *nix world, the graphical environment is properly modularly separated from the system so that a comfortable environment can be chosen by the user. Be that a Windows-like cinnamon, or something more inventive.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:24 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
I think everyone agrees that Windows in general, really sucks. Especially for someone who needs a PC or laptop computer for basic daily tasks - browsing the Internet, file management, running spreadsheets, text and presentation software. Maybe the ability to serve files on a local home network.

Windows definitely doesnt "suck". Windows 11 is pretty great.

As other posters have said, Chromebooks could be a good option. LAUSD gives out Chromebooks to students and I was surprised at how good they are. I wouldnt buy one myself, and the kid only uses it for school (she has Macbook Pro and a desktop pc for other stuff) but they seem to be really well made. You can also go with a Macbook Air. My wife uses the Air and she really likes it.

I'd say either a Macbook Air/Pro or one of the newer, higher spec'd Chromebooks.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:53 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

No, everyone doesn't agree that Windows sucks.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:10 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Yea, I remember a Vax. And I love Windows 11.

Now is your mind blown?

Old 11-16-2023, 09:27 AM

393 posts, read 275,507 times
I stopped using Windows when Microsoft introduced ”product activation” with WindowsXP. Since then I've only used Linux (currently Mint, my daily driver) and MacOS, which I use for photo editing and scanning. I try to stay away from anything Google related.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:51 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeefiend9898 View Post
Vax, VAX? Pfft, a crappy follow-on to the PDP-11 with RSX. Now that had an assembly language clearly written by one or a few closely coordinated people.

I'm perfectly happy with a corporate version of Windows 7. Still gets security updates, supports cablecard equipment, has little bloat and enough feedback to let me know when a program has gone rogue.

I've tried various linux implementations and was not impressed.
W7 is a good OS but it stopped getting updates Jan 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers