Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 07:30 AM

1,097 posts, read 648,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
LOL. . . that's what happens when M$ pays a kickback to every OEM that installs it.
Interesting reads. Thanks. Microsoft is clearly not without fault, but the big kickback case was 30 years ago. At the end of the day, the reasons behind Microsoft's OS dominance is complicated, especially in the corporate space, but I don't believe it has much to do with kickbacks to OEMs.

Quote:
No mention of OEMs.

Quote:
Kickbacks to OEMs for Windows Vista ads. Installation of Vista wasn't even required.

Quote:
Kickbacks to OEMs in the 90's.

Quote:
Seems like a random post created by a random person.

Quote:
No kickbacks to OEMs. But those were very interesting findings in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 12:57 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I think everyone agrees that Windows in general, really sucks. Especially for someone who needs a PC or laptop computer for basic daily tasks - browsing the Internet, file management, running spreadsheets, text and presentation software. Maybe the ability to serve files on a local home network.

I started long ago in the Unix and Vax world (does anyone remember what a Vax was?) so maybe Linux would be a good choice?

Any suggestions? Experiences? Learning curve?
Don't fool yourself, get an Apple Macintosh. Linux desktop isn't ready for basic desktop needs. You can still run a file server with Macs.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not everyone agrees that Windows sucks. If it sucked so much it wouldnt be the number one OS in the world.
Just because it's ubiquitous does it mean it's the best. McDonalds is everywhere but they are not the best restaurants.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:02 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Just because it's ubiquitous does it mean it's the best. McDonalds is everywhere but they are not the best restaurants.
Never said the best, just that windows is the best selling. If they did suck they wouldnt be the best selling.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I'll never waste $$ on a Mac. I'd go for Linux.
Linux for a desktop is free, and you get what you pay for. The Mac OS is the best desktop OS hands down. People that don't think so place very little value on their time.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:47 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
. People that don't think so place very little value on their time.
Blanket statements like that are a waste of everyone's time.

Old 11-20-2023, 01:58 PM

474 posts, read 406,685 times
Quote:
Don't fool yourself, get an Apple Macintosh. Linux desktop isn't ready for basic desktop needs. You can still run a file server with Macs.

There is no such thing as "Linux desktop" Linux can be configured using any number of desktop environments, most popular being KDE and Gnome.

I am very happy with KDE running on Arch, thank you. Waaaaay more stable than Windows.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:00 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I have never had any issues like you describe on any version of Widows from 3.1 to 95, to 7 to 10. I haven't upgraded to 11 due to sheer inertia.
Ha - sounds like me. I usually keeps an arm length distance from new versions - and let others take the arrows before I decide to jump in or not.

Windows, for a stretch of time, seemed to have a good version followed by a bad version.

Windows 98 - good
Windows 2000, ME - not good
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - not good
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - not good
Windows 10 - good

Maybe Windows 11 will break the pattern.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:39 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Linux for a desktop is free, and you get what you pay for. The Mac OS is the best desktop OS hands down. People that don't think so place very little value on their time.
Macs are hard to use and utterly non-intuitive. Worst design of an OS and UI I've ever seen. On the rare occasions I have to use a Mac, it's painful and takes 10 times longer than anything on Windows.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:59 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Ha - sounds like me. I usually keeps an arm length distance from new versions - and let others take the arrows before I decide to jump in or not.

Windows, for a stretch of time, seemed to have a good version followed by a bad version.

Windows 98 - good
Windows 2000, ME - not good
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista - not good
Windows 7 - good
Windows 8 - not good
Windows 10 - good

Maybe Windows 11 will break the pattern.
The only thing I will disagree on is Win2000, which I thought was pretty good,

although I will agree that WinXP was better.

I haven't tried Win10, and I have just begun to try out Win11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers