Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times

Advertisements

If a computer has spyware by one company, let's say [SPYWARE], and virus plus spyware by another company, let's say, [Trend Virus] can the computer breakdown? I went to the store where I bought my computer, and the geek there says it will not harm the computer, by the duplication. What do you think? Thanking you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 PM

82 posts, read 259,831 times
First, I'm really not sure why you started a new thread but whatever....

If you are asking if you should renew trend? No. It is junk, imo. There are some nice free ones out there that will do a better job.

Things like:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
AVG

We used trend at work till I got there. I removed it. It doesn't catch crap. My boss didn't believe me so I took and invested his laptop with it, updated trend and ran it. It caught 13 of the 80+ that I installed on his computer. I then hooked up a flash drive that had several free programs on it. WITHOUT updating them (they were all about 2months out of date) they caught all of them. I then took the computer to a McD's and used their WiFi. I went to known hacking sites. My free ones picked up on stuff that they were trying to do, still not updated, Trend didn't catch any of it. It is worse than Nortons!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
I have a three-year subscription with Spyware with no virus. It was recently done through the computer. With Trend Micro, I have Virus only, and is running out by 10/13, so I need to get in something with a virus program . You can obviously tell that I am a computer neonate, so keeping this in mind, in other to get Malwarebytes' do I have to UNISTALL Trend Micro, or since it is running out, let it be? What do I do with Spyware since is paid up for three years'. I thank you so much for your time, and have a nice day. Reps to you,

Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Uninstall Trend and install avast AV. It's totally free and updates automatically. It's small enough to not be a resource hog too. I've been running it for over a year now and have not had any viruses.

For Spyware, install Spybot. It works great, is free and they regularly update the definitions. You do have to update it manually, but it takes about two minutes of time. Also, install SpywareBlaster. It runs in the background and keep malicious software from ever installing in the first place.

If you use these three FREE applications, you will not have any problem with viruses or spyware.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Rubies77, the general rule-of-thumb is to never have more than one version/brand of any kind of security software running on your computer at one time. So if you have a version of anti-spyware that is about to expire, just go ahead and uninstall it. Then do a clean install of the new anti-spyware/antivirus program.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Rubies77 - in my experience having multiple spyware and/or virus scanning programs does not cause a physical computer breakdown, but can cause a ton of conflicts as each program tries to do its thing and wrangles for top spot. Advice given above for better security than what you have is well-given advice. I use AVG for virus and Ad-aware for spyware - both are free and so far both have served me well.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I think most anti-malware programs are run manually, though there may be some that have passive protection. And I believe AVG would need a firewall working with it, as well. That's why I prefer Avast, since it comes with a firewall. I understand that some prefer AVG or Avira, and that's fine with me. The plus version of AVG does include a firewall, as does Avira's premium version, but a lot of people get ZoneAlarm. I tried it once upon a time, but didn't like having to train it -- maybe it's different, now.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Not to be picky - but virus and spyware is what your trying to protect your systems from. The common tools you use are anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware programs.

Having different applications will not "break" your system. But by the same token, you're not getting additional protection either. And as mentioned above, its simply taking up more resources. I personally would also advise against having more than one.

As to which one.... based on most independent tests.. they all perform with similar success. Meaning one isn't head and shoulders above the others. So there is that argument why one would actually pay for such software. In the corporate environment, that decision may come down to other capabilities such as easiness of deployment, management and support. But as a single user, those issues are not as critical. I think the bottom line is very much what one personally feels comfortable with. There are also independent testing labs that provide statistics on how effective these tools are (down to the month when the updates are released) - icsalabs.com is one.

And finally - these tools are simply one piece of the pie to securing your computing environment. Having them is better than not having them... but having them with nothing else isn't going to make you secure. You need other layers such as firewalls, backups, and a number of other solutions based on need - but most importantly - awareness of your actions.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
It could be argued that no anti-malware programs catch everything, so it would be helpful to have more than one that can be run manually ("layering"). Of course I agree there can only be one AV and one firewall since they are working actively.

There is one program I might consider buying, sometime, that watches behavior and doesn't rely on definitions. I can't think of it off the top of my head, but I'll come back when I do.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Not to be picky - but virus and spyware is what your trying to protect your systems from. The common tools you use are anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware programs.

Having different applications will not "break" your system. .....

As to which one.... based on most independent tests.. they all perform with similar success. .....
Have to disagree. Two installed anti-virus programs may very well break your system.

Disagree again. Different anti-virus programs have been tested side-by-side and found that some catch more viruses, some use more resources, etc. They do not perform with similar success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers