Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times

Advertisements

I'm having a problem getting Avast to load in the tray. I had a problem earlier with some bad critters. Somewhere during the process of troubleshooting the machine, I took out everything from startup. The critters are gone, now, but no matter how often I click the button next to the Avast program, click apply, then reboot, the check disappears. I guess I'm running without protection.

I'm going to bed -- see ya tomorrow.

Oh yea, one more thing. What do I check to get the numbers keypad to work? Comes in handy sometimes. If you don't know, I'll just to a little research later...no problemo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,398 times
I imagine all you need to do to get your 10-key pad operating is simply push the "Num Lock" key.

As for why the Avast icon isn't showing up in your tray.....when all else fails, just uninstall Avast and reinstall.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
When you took them out of startup, did you do that with MSCONFIG? If so, run it again and put the virus scanner back in. On many machines, setting NUM LOCK to ON as the machine starts is set in the BIOS setup. That feature is also fairly unreliable on machines running Windows. If you search around, you can find a small batch file that fixes the problem by running in the Windows Startup folder.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
However mensa, that wont work to enable numlock for your login screen (which is where I always want to use it).

But Brian, either go into msconfig and make sure that all avast things are checked or re-install.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
However mensa, that wont work to enable numlock for your login screen (which is where I always want to use it).

But Brian, either go into msconfig and make sure that all avast things are checked or re-install.
It certainly will. Most of the time, BIOS settings will enable numlock by the time the Windows login screen appears. On the odd machine where that doesn't work (which have been few in my experience), we just fixed it after logon. It wasn't a big enough deal to spend much time on the problem.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post

You can make the numlock key be ON before the logon screen comes up by editing the registry. Here is the key:

HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard

Then look for InitialKeyboardIndicators and make the value a 2

Now the numlock should be active before even a Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up a logon screen.

(Sometimes I just get curious and have to go find an answer.)

Disclaimer: Don't try to edit the registry if you don't know what you are doing.

Back on topic: I'm assuming that you can reactivate avast via msconfig, but I can't confirm because it is not my first choice for a free antivirus program and I don't have it installed on any machines.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Registry modification made -- Thanks for the tip! I'd thought about possibly getting Avira Premium for my wife, since she had a distrust of anything "free." It would cost in USD a bit over 25 bucks. What is your first choice? I use Avast not because I think it's the best, but because it has a firewall included and I hated zone alarm.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,027 times
Avast/Macafee/Norton all crap.. and using a Firewall in this day in age means you’re buying into old hype (fear) that you need one.. if you want the best known adware/virus program out there and is 80-90% effective.. that's nod32 (and stay away from the firewall version)

Fact: If you put the original version of XP on the internet today you'd likely pickup MSBlast (assuming the firewall doesn't save yah) in 1 minute to 24 hours (giving a far reaching time frame to be safe)

Fact: 99% of users have no idea why you need or firewall or what it does for you..

Fact: All routers have BUILT-IN firewalls not to mention hiding you by NAT addressing.. so the question becomes why run 2 firewalls on a network already firewalled?? (there is only one logical answer for this.. if you use WEP for wireless surfing and it's easily hackable.. well yah then maybe you might want one)

Fact: You only need a firewall on a PC if your PC receives the REAL internet IP address and even then you don't need one.. I will say it clearly.. use windows firewall IT's FINE

Fact: In my 10+ years of computer experience I have seen firewall software from macafee/norton/nod32 etc. break internet usage completely multiple times on multiple PC's

Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Registry modification made -- Thanks for the tip! I'd thought about possibly getting Avira Premium for my wife, since she had a distrust of anything "free." It would cost in USD a bit over 25 bucks. What is your first choice? I use Avast not because I think it's the best, but because it has a firewall included and I hated zone alarm.
All the computers for home use have AVG. At work, I use an enterprise version from McAfee. I've used AVG on a succession of computers at home since CA discontinued the free-for-personal-use version of InoculateIt. I have yet to have a virus get through. (Your mileage may vary.) I just took a look at a comparison page for antivirus software at AntiVirus Software Review 2008 - TopTenREVIEWS and found this result: 1. BitDefender, 2. Kapersky, 3. Nod32, 4. AVG, 5. F-Secure, 6. Trend, 7. McAfee, 8. Norton, 9. CA, 10. Norman.

Not all are free. I like free. I use AVG free edition.

I leave the Windows firewall turned on at home and turned off at work. If I hit a snag with a download or Windows update, I'll turn it off. With the network equipment providing some help, I don't worry much about the use of a firewall, except when traveling and using a laptop.

Did that answer your question? I noticed that Avast and Avira are both missing from the top ten list. Don't know why, but it makes me go hmmmm.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Did that answer your question? I noticed that Avast and Avira are both missing from the top ten list. Don't know why, but it makes me go hmmmm.
Most likely because they are predominately free, except for the pro versions.

Oh hey....can I give you a bit of friendly advice? Please don't rely on the Windows firewall. It's possible you may have had no problems using it, but my system got totally messed up last year after I relied on it. Any free version firewall out there would be MUCH better than the one built into Windows. Just my opinion.

If you guys want to know what the best free utilities are out there...including anti-virus and firewalls, etc....check out this page:

Gizmo's - The Best Free Software for PC | Gizmo's Tech Support Alert

I personally use Avira AntiVir personal edition, and have had absolutely ZERO problems with it. I use Webroot Desktop Firewall, and it does an excellent job. I never get a virus, nor any attempts at people breaking into my system. I also rarely get any spyware, even though I run antispyware software regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers