Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a new computer and have always bought DELL. That includes laptops and desktops, for home and business and never had any problems. I know some people can't stand DELL but I've been happy with them. My SO has a HP and said to buy that, what do you think? Keeping in mind....I work all day on my computer and have a couple businesses that require something very fast. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
I am also sold on Dell. My Dell that I bought in 1999 is still in use today. I say get a Dell. The company I work for uses nothing but Dells.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Research them both, include Sony and Toshiba, and get the best bang for the buck. Any of these are going to be a good buy. Watch warranties, too.

Good place to snoop and get user reviews: Newegg.com - Laptops / Notebooks, Laptop Accessories

Sorted by price lowest to highest. You can filter by price, manufacturer, CPU, etc at the left.

Keep in mind that the majority of computers are built from parts made by a limited number of companies and the difference is who puts the parts together.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,720 times
If you're a geek.. well, a decked out laptop meaning real quality should only be considered the former IBM.. now Lenovo brand.. one of there high ends obviously though some geeks choose dell.. (this is if were talking laptops only here)

And some geeks like me give up and use wtfever..

(Desktop) If you're a true computer enthusiast then most go clone.. so if you haven't built a computer now’s the time to give it a try.. the lazy ones usually by dell..

This is what I know from repairing computers.. they all break even DELLS.. most of the warranty's are no longer worth it and or they cheapen it down.. least I've read some complaints about dell's home warranty's.. The best thing with computer prices and laptop prices being in the general $400 range is unless your buying high end (and you maybe are based on your description) skip the warranty money and put that towards a new computer should yours break past the normal given 1 year warranty.

If you want my manufacturer advice.. based on the systems I've seen coming with pre-loaded software dell's is at least one of the cleanest.. of course if you’re going to format anyway.. then again anything'll do.. I don't usually run my whoever's laptop with there pre-loaded crapware, that includes there drivers custom utility wireless and power save programs most of them just aren't worth it..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I have always bought Dell for a number of years. Both my wife and I also had employers that used dell. But we really notice a lack of quailty at work and the service really dropped off. We current use HP with Vista and have no problems. I think if you are a average user with no graphic intense useage then your can get a number of computers that will suit you.I never buy the top because I don't need them and alway like to upgrade in a few years.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
What do you want to spend?
Do you need the latest & greatest?
What are you using the computer for? You mentioned work but what do you do? Do you use photo programs? Office? Have a lot of stuff open at once?

Do you need the extras that come with it like Office or Works?
Do you want XP or Vista?

Do you feel you could build it yourself? Tiger Direct has what's called bare bones, link. I put one together back in May, cost was $200 and came with everything except Windows. It was not the latest (quad core) & greatest but close (dual core)

Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
As I understand the OP, the question is Dell or HP. The agency I work for bought HP computers until the Vectra line was discontinued when HP bought Compaq; then started buying Dell machines until forced to buy Lenovo. We rarely had any reliability problems with the HP machines, and we were usually able to build a clean image for hard disk duplication without any excessive trouble. Dell machines rarely broke down, and it was easy to get a tech certified to order warranty parts online. They even extended warranty coverage when they discovered that they had been sold defective capacitors on motherboards for several models. Dell machines were also fairly easy to use when building a clean hard disk image. All you needed was their Resource CD with hardware drivers. All I ever did was install drivers that did not install automatically with Windows.

My personal preference is Dell, just slightly over HP. A substantial price difference could change that.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,710 times
Former Dell design engineer here.
Over the last 5 to 7 years, desktop computers have become much more of a commodity. There really isn't that much design differentiation anymore - the various computer companies instead distinguish themselves with their warranties and services.

Dell boards are almost completely designed by external & overseas board makers now, with Dell engineers doing some minor customizing. However, Dell's test and verification process is easily the best and most extensive in the industry - this is what adds to the perception of quality. Dell "services", mainly targeted at corporate users, are their big income generator nowadays.

So, as others have said, research and look for the best bang for the buck.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
Great info.! Thank you.

I think I have to stick with a DELL. It will be the 9th or 10th ordering from them and I've rarely had problems.

Roselvr - to answer your question; I do have several things open at once. Sometimes I even work with my laptop and the other computer in my office at the same time. I can really multi-task, haha. I have an internet business, real estate business and I manage and develop web sites. What stinks is when I moved (almost two years ago) I was told my street had cable modem option. I asked the Realtor several times and she assured me it did. I should have called myself because after I bought the house I found out DSL was my only option. It has slowed me down a lot. Some people say it's just as fast or can't notice the difference but I can. I'm hoping a new, faster computer will help the situation.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new computer and have always bought DELL. That includes laptops and desktops, for home and business and never had any problems. I know some people can't stand DELL but I've been happy with them. My SO has a HP and said to buy that, what do you think? Keeping in mind....I work all day on my computer and have a couple businesses that require something very fast. Thanks!
If you have an affiliation with a school, you can go through the company website for a discount through HP or Dell. Gateway is horrible.

HPs and Dells are excellent. The Dell LATITUDE Series have a higher level of customer service (since they cater to businesses) and they have 3 year warranties over the Inspirons.

The most important thing about buying computers is the amount of extra trial software that is installed rendering them somewhat slower. Latitudes have less of that software.

I have a Dell personally, and we have 4 total in the house. I have had 2 HPs but they are loaded with extra software and 'recovery disks' which are futile. Dell sends the actual Operating system disks, drivers disks and additional software disks.

Dell wins with regards to many factors.

However, my dissatisfaction with Vista is making me switch to the Apple Corporation. I will likely make the next purchase a Macbook or Macbook Pro. They are more resistant to viruses, more efficient in coding whereby it is not as hardware intensive, and has the capability to run Windows or Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers