Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times

Advertisements

Simplest Method To Enable Internet and Wifi Access in your car | I am a Techie (http://www.iamatechie.com/simplest-wifi-car/ - broken link)

I was wondering if anyone has set up wireless internet in their vehicle. Sometimes on long trips my wife would like to access the internet for work/etc and my daughter would like to surf the net if she gets bored watching DVDs (this is a little tongue in cheek, here - I mean a kid getting bored watching DVDs in a vehicle or a wife having to work while on vacation?).

I was just curious if anyone has set up a wireless network in their vehicle. What ISP do you use? How did you set up your router?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
A mobile broadband card would work in your vehicle or anywhere there's coverage (which is NOT everywhere, especially when you're toolin' down the highway). Some companies offer pay as you go plans that might be more appropriate for those long trips.

Unless you have an RV or a bus or something, a router is probably more trouble than it's worth - hopefully you could make do with one internet connection at a time?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
I (can, don't often) use my Palm Centro as a modem via Bluetooth. Works fine.

As for setting up a router, don't bother, unless you just want to see if it can be done. It's going to be more trouble than is practical.

I'd go with either a PC card (which requires a separate data account) or a setup similar to mine (which doesn't), or just tell them to look out the window and watch the world go by...

Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Our eldest son is a OTR truckdriver. He has looked into every possibility for staying online while traveling.

Truckstops all have wireless networks, though you pay a high fee each month to be a member.

You can use your cellphone connection if you dont mind it being very slow, and of course many areas have no coverage.

He drives his alloted hours and like all OTR drivers, parks and waits until the next day. When there is no coverage where he parks, then he gets bored. So anymore he tries to route his trips so that he will be parking at truckstops, and use their network.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 AM

57 posts, read 343,042 times
there are really not many options, you can do the expensive way and go through your cell provider.
but another method which works better (cheaper) i have used in the past is: using my hermes 8525 when i had unlimited internet AT&T plan, connect it to the laptop via USB, and enable internet share via phone, works great most of the time, but then when you don't have signal/weak signal, it could suck!!! but when you're in an area with 3G, you can really get some awesome speeds.

look into Mobile Satellite Internet, the technology has changed so rapidly that you no longer need a huge satellite reciever anymore, (same techn. as Sirius/XM) but there's fees of course :-)

Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM

277 posts, read 626,775 times
I have a Kyocera KR1 EVDO router I used to use with a Cellphone network card, it worked pretty well but not all areas will work at high speeds. This is a newer version here. Kyocera KR2 Evdo Wireless Broadband Mobile Router EV-DO (KR2) | KR2 [Kyocera] | kr 2 rotuer kr1 TXRTR10000 kr 1 D-Links DIR-450 3G Wireless Router 54Mbps 802.11g 4-Port EV-DO Kyocera Kr1 Evdo Wireless Mobile Router EV-DO dir450 dlink

Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 52,611 times
Default Wifi in your Car

There is a company that is actually building routers in Dogde cars now, I don't remember the name but I saw it on a news program a while ago. But another company I know of is WifiRents.com and they rent routers or mobile broadband cards by the week or the month without the 2 year contract. If you rented the router you could have more than one computer connected in the car or with the broadband card you could plug it into a laptop. Just a suggestion check out their website and you can probably get more information. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers