Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times

Advertisements

I have Vista. Last evening my computer worked fine finding my wireless network (let's say called "123") and connecting automatically.

I wake up this morning and my network "123" isn't even in the list of available networks? Any clue where it went? My son has the "host" computer with the router if you will and he says it appears to be fine on his end. We have (overpriced) Cox for cable internet carrier, and Cox isn't showing any network advisories etc.

What could have happened?

I restarted the computer and it still wouldnt find my network. I restored back a week and it still wont find it.

I had to find a public network just to connect today.

I need my private network back as I need to run my VPN tomorrow for work.

Help! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
What is a "host computer"? Your wireless connection to the router doesn't have anything to do with any other computer in the house since I doubt you're doing ad-hoc wireless and sharing a wireless connection.

Turn the router off for a minute and restart it. That'll fix it most of the time. If not, the router may be busted.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM

My son has the router that plugs directly into the cable. I will ask him to restart the router. Thanks for the idea!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
My son has the router that plugs directly into the cable. I will ask him to restart the router. Thanks for the idea!
OK it sounds like his PC is wired to the router and yours is wireless to the router. His computer doesn't affect your connection. It's not uncommon for the wired computer to keep working fine while the router's wireless drops out. Keep in mind these are consumer devices made in China for $1 and not really designed to operate flawlessly for years on end so a periodic reboot is required when things stop working.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Thank you thank you! Turning off and restarting the router worked.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 PM

LOL! But if the router had stopped working then my wireless wouldn't work right-even tho his internet would?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
LOL! But if the router had stopped working then my wireless wouldn't work right-even tho his internet would?
It depends on exactly what stopped working. Your wireless router is actually a router, switch, and wireless bridge all in one little box running either some proprietary operating system or Linux. So it's possible that one part could stop working (like the radio) while the rest keeps working and providing Internet service to the wired computer(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers