Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,785 times

Advertisements

I just bought a laptop that cost a lot of money. It has an 18 inch monitor and assorted bells and whistles. The manufacturer, HP, offers accidental insurance coverage. Meaning that if it falls off the table and breaks HP will fix it or replace the broken part if they can't fix whatever part that's broken. I use my computer primarily (75%) for work and school.

HP charges $250 for two years of coverage. Here's what HP says about their plan:

With this plan, you'll get:
1) Protection from damage caused by drops, spills, and electrical surges
2) Convenient door-to-door PC pickup and return with roundtrip shipping included
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
Accident Protection and the LONGEST warranty is totaly worth it! My Dell E1705 fell down a flight of stairs and they totally rebuilt it FAST! Then I had numerous warranty repairs done quickly, 3 video cards, motherboard, wifi, keyboard, screen, and dvd player!

I'm looking at the HP 18.4 laptop you got too! But I'd get it with 8GB, 3yr Accident Warranty and Lojack and 130M video card for $3500!

Lock your laptop with a laptop cable to prevent theft!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
My laptop is a Dell, and I did take out an extra 2 years of tech support, however, not the other
insurance. I don't eat around the computer, and do pull out the plug in bad storms. I would say it does
depend on how you take care of things, and do you tend to drop them etc., Dell had the pc person
come when I had a problem which was nice. I guess it is somewhat like cell phone insurance, depends
on how you are.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
If you are a klutz, then yes ;-)

Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Accident Protection and the LONGEST warranty is totaly worth it! My Dell E1705 fell down a flight of stairs and they totally rebuilt it FAST! Then I had numerous warranty repairs done quickly, 3 video cards, motherboard, wifi, keyboard, screen, and dvd player!

I'm looking at the HP 18.4 laptop you got too! But I'd get it with 8GB, 3yr Accident Warranty and Lojack and 130M video card for $3500!

Lock your laptop with a laptop cable to prevent theft!
3500??and all you get video wise is a 130mb video?
i thought standard was 256 these days unless its built in even then with 8 gigz it should share some more for the video

Last edited by justalicious6989; 05-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: edited a sentence whoop[s

Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
If you get anything... ANYTHING.... get the accidental damage. There's lots that could go wrong with a laptop that is not covered by a typical additional warranty. IF you get the AD and need to make a call for repairs, that AD - Accidental Damage, is the magic word. Without it you may as well be on your own after the Manufacturer's Warranty expires.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 AM

6 posts, read 17,045 times
Default Consider a laptop alarm

I recently downloaded a program to help insure my laptop from theft. Seems like a great idea. It's called LaptopSentry.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
I just bought a laptop that cost a lot of money. It has an 18 inch monitor and assorted bells and whistles. The manufacturer, HP, offers accidental insurance coverage. Meaning that if it falls off the table and breaks HP will fix it or replace the broken part if they can't fix whatever part that's broken. I use my computer primarily (75%) for work and school.

HP charges $250 for two years of coverage. Here's what HP says about their plan:

With this plan, you'll get:
1) Protection from damage caused by drops, spills, and electrical surges
2) Convenient door-to-door PC pickup and return with roundtrip shipping included
I'm so sick of my computer by 18 months I can't wait to get a new one. I'd be tempted to throw it off the table. LOL

I have never gotten insurance, myself, but I guess if I paid a couple of grand for a machine I might be inclined. Trouble is, two years from now that laptop is going to be a quasi-dinosaur not to mention the fact that you are going to be able to buy a better machine than you have now for much less.

Your crazy if you buy it now anyway, there are going to be HUGE sales around Christmas time and you will be kicking yourself for not waiting a month or so.

20yrsinBranson
waiting for the sales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers