Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

Nice to see some things never change

AppleInsider | White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

Apple iPhone 3GS Overheating Reports (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/06/29/urnidgns002570F3005978D8002575E20009B3B9.DTL&type= tech - broken link)

Apple also seems to be maintaining their longstanding tradition of closing discussion threads on their support site to prevent discussion of common problems with their devices, a quote from the first article;

"Apple so far hasn't commented on the issue and has taken to closing a large discussion thread on its forum centering on the subject"

[edit] One possible solution (cause MAY be corrupt firmware); http://orangecountycomputer.com/2009...y-life-issues/

Last edited by NHDave; 07-01-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Nice. I knew there was a reason I don't like Apple. Other PCs/Mobile Devices may have issues but the manufacturer doesn't try tactics like these to hide them.

They just blame it on Windows or viruses. I guess the fruit doesn't have anything to hide behind.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Nice. I knew there was a reason I don't like Apple. Other PCs/Mobile Devices may have issues but the manufacturer doesn't try tactics like these to hide them.

They just blame it on Windows or viruses. I guess the fruit doesn't have anything to hide behind.
Oh yes, let's paint Apple with a broad brush to make all think it's a bad company. One problem does not a rotten product line make. Name me one company that hasn't got it's share of issues in it's product line.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh yes, let's paint Apple with a broad brush to make all think it's a bad company. One problem does not a rotten product line make. Name me one company that hasn't got it's share of issues in it's product line.
It's not just ONE problem, they have a long history of the issues I described, plus more. People post stuff like this about Microsoft products all the time, I'm just pointing out that Apple isn't all fuzzy teddy bears and warm summer days either

Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's not just ONE problem, they have a long history of the issues I described, plus more. People post stuff like this about Microsoft products all the time, I'm just pointing out that Apple isn't all fuzzy teddy bears and warm summer days either
What exactly are you hinting at, heretic? How dare you betray the Almighty Jobs! He is perfect! Everything he creates is a miracle!

Boo this man!

Booooo!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

And just to continue on the topic

AppleInsider | iPhone overheating problems could see aid from new patent

I love this part "The patent describes a "battery force sensor" that would be able to detect battery problems. If triggered, the sensor could produce an "alarm and a graphical user interface," the patent reads. Similar elements of such a sensor may already be implemented in the iPhone, which can inform the user that the phone "needs to cool down before you can use it."

Ok, lets not fix the overheating problem, lets just disable the phone and not allow you to use it until it cools off.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Ok, lets not fix the overheating problem, lets just disable the phone and not allow you to use it until it cools off.
Hey Jobs knows best. I will be able to use my phone when He feels the time is right.

That is a pretty screwed up idea the way it is written in the article.

"Need 911? Not so fast there buddy, iPhone has to relax for a bit... and you should too. Don't want to bleed out from that leg injury you just received in that horrific car accident."

Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Nice to see some things never change

AppleInsider | White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

Apple iPhone 3GS Overheating Reports (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/06/29/urnidgns002570F3005978D8002575E20009B3B9.DTL&type= tech - broken link)

Apple also seems to be maintaining their longstanding tradition of closing discussion threads on their support site to prevent discussion of common problems with their devices, a quote from the first article;

"Apple so far hasn't commented on the issue and has taken to closing a large discussion thread on its forum centering on the subject"

[edit] One possible solution (cause MAY be corrupt firmware); How to resolve Apple iPhone 3GS Overheating problems | Orange County Computer INC.
Well, it is no secret that Apple computers can run hot. The G5 line was nicknamed the Wind Tunnel (aka the Cheese Grater) because of the amount of noise that the five fans produced (and the fans ran at full speed almost continuously, although not every G5 desktop experienced this problem). The problem with over-heating is also why there was never a G5 line of laptops (Apple laptops continued with the G4 chip all the way through until the Intel-based Macs appeared, which was a period of about three years) and one of the reasons why Apple went Intel (although not one of the main reasons).

As to the discussion board on Apple.com; I have been a long-time member of this board and yes, they do remove some -not all- negative comments. The most notable was the period before the iPhone was released and Discussions was filled with many a furious comment over Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T.

I have even had a few comments disappear.

But, you have to keep one thing in mind; this is Apple's OWN discussion board and its primary function is to serve those looking for help/advice and for hobbyist programers, and users of things like Logic, FCP, Aperture, etc. to share their projects and other information. So, why would Apple allow (let alone want) posters to post negative comments about their products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

So, you are telling us that for all of this time you disliked Apple you couldn't point your finger on what exactly it was that you disliked about them until you read NH Dave's comment and it clicked? You're half-way to becoming a brain surgeon.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
So, you are telling us that for all of this time you disliked Apple you couldn't point your finger on what exactly it was that you disliked about them until you read NH Dave's comment and it clicked? You're half-way to becoming a brain surgeon.
Hey we prefer the term rocket surgeon, thankyouverymuch.

You mentioned g4s...I had a powerbook g4 that I miss dearly, and using the lap-test I can safely say my new dell scorches my lap to a level the g4 could only hope to achieve. I never wanted children anyways...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,540 times
Quote:
they also have a history of being innovators. Their stock wasn't rising during this economic down turn for no reason.

Nobody said apple was all warm and fuzzy, but they are leaps ahead of Microsoft......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers