Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old received a Toshiba Netbook for Christmas and she and my 7 year old were setting up user accounts for each other.

Now, neither one of the kids passwords work. They had written down both sets of passwords and they do not work.

I have shut it down and even went to safe mode and it comes back up to one of the users names and the password will not allow me in.

Since the netbooks do not have the CD drives I do not know what to do from here.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Someone may be able to tell you how to do it for free but you can buy an utility that you can install to a USB thumb drive. You boot from the thumb drive and it will allow you to change the password.

Windows Password | Lost Windows Password | Windows Password Reset | Forgot Windows Password

Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
My 11 year old received a Toshiba Netbook for Christmas and she and my 7 year old were setting up user accounts for each other.

Now, neither one of the kids passwords work. They had written down both sets of passwords and they do not work.

I have shut it down and even went to safe mode and it comes back up to one of the users names and the password will not allow me in.

Since the netbooks do not have the CD drives I do not know what to do from here.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Passwords are case-sensitive, have you made sure that they're not using letters in the passwords with the wrong case?

Also, if possible, contact the person who got them the netbook, and find out if the Administrator's account has a password. The Administrator's password might be in the owner's manual. Another thing to do is to find out where the netbook was bought. The retailer might provide you with guidance to get this issue squared away.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Someone may be able to tell you how to do it for free but you can buy an utility that you can install to a USB thumb drive. You boot from the thumb drive and it will allow you to change the password.

Windows Password | Lost Windows Password | Windows Password Reset | Forgot Windows Password

Great! Thank you.

The idea is to download it to a working computer and use the thumb drive to get the netbook working correct?

I appreciate the info very much.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Passwords are case-sensitive, have you made sure that they're not using letters in the passwords with the wrong case?

Also, if possible, contact the person who got them the netbook, and find out if the Administrator's account has a password. The Administrator's password might be in the owner's manual. Another thing to do is to find out where the netbook was bought. The retailer might provide you with guidance to get this issue squared away.

Good luck.
We have tried all the caps etc and nothing.

It was purchased new and sealed. The place of purchase said they cannot help recover lost passwords for us.

I tried the reboot in safe mode but it comes back to the user name location that requires the password.

Anyone with any other ideas I sure would appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 AM

26 posts, read 80,377 times
If you can't get in with safe mode, you need to get it ERD (reset). You need to take it to a computer shop and get that done. I know it sucks being that you just got it, but again, if safe mode wont see the admin account as unlocked, thats what you have to do.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Try ophcrack - Ophcrack

Or Google for windows password recovery. There are plenty of free tools out there that will either A: recovery the password, B: erase said password so you can login without a password, or C: create a new account.

Some tools require more work than others.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 28,884 times
Hi,just follow these steps and solve your problem

1. On the logon screen, make an entry in the password box. if you guess right, you’re in! if you are wrong, Windows 7 informs you that the password is incorrect.

2. Click OK. The logon screen reappears, but with additional text below the password box.

3. If the first bit of additional text, your password hint, tries to jog your memory, enter your password. If not, click Reset Password to open the Password Reset wizard.This wizard asks for the location of the password reset disk, reads the encrypted key, and then asks you to set a new password, which it then uses to log you on.

Kristain

Last edited by knoxgarden; 04-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Signatures, advertising are a violation of TOS

Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristain View Post
Hi,just follow these steps and solve your problem

1. On the logon screen, make an entry in the password box. if you guess right, you’re in! if you are wrong, Windows 7 informs you that the password is incorrect.

2. Click OK. The logon screen reappears, but with additional text below the password box.

3. If the first bit of additional text, your password hint, tries to jog your memory, enter your password. If not, click Reset Password to open the Password Reset wizard.This wizard asks for the location of the password reset disk, reads the encrypted key, and then asks you to set a new password, which it then uses to log you on.

Kristain
Computer Support Technician
Don't bother with this post. It's not going to help.

First, the poster didn't bother to read the OP or they would know that there is no CD drive in this machine and they obviously do not have an external drive, so they cannot use a password reset disk. In fact, they couldn't make one to begin with.

Secondly, the link supplied at the bottom of the post, which I assume is supposed to tell us the poster is a professional, leads to a generic web page that has no obvious connection to the problem at hand and makes me wonder if it's just advertising.

I'm not at all sure why they bothered to post...

Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 166,898 times
Last time I forgot my password and tried everything i could do but failed, until I found this great tool windows password software. It works great, and you can google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers