Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:09 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Adobe still owns it. The iso open source reference code is for older versions of the pdf standard. Most 3rd party pdf writing emulators are adequate for home use, but you may get crazy results if your files are not set up correctly .
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

The ISO standard describes the PDF file format. It is not "source code". Therefore it makes no sense whatsoever to speak of "open source reference code". That's not what ISO does. It's a standards body.

ISO 32000.1 is basically equivalent to PDF 1.7. There is no PDF 1.8. Adobe has published a document describing extensions to ISO 32000.1. supported by Acrobat 9, Reader 9, and LiveCycle ES 8.2. These extensions are primarily to support interactive features, and AFAIK, there are none that affect the imaging model.

Adobe - PDF Developer Center: PDF reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
If the OP is going to be printing large posters, then as much of the artwork as possible should be created in a drawing program (Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, etc.) and not a paint program. That way the artwork is described as resolution-independent mathematical descriptions (curves and lines) rather than as pixels, and will scale up smoothly to whatever the size of your final output. If the artwork is created as pixels, then it looks worse and worse as the size is scaled up because you've fixed the maximum resolution at the time you created your canvas. Sorry, but the advice to use a paint program to create the poster just demonstrates ignorance.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

The ISO standard describes the PDF file format. It is not "source code". Therefore it makes no sense whatsoever to speak of "open source reference code". That's not what ISO does. It's a standards body.

ISO 32000.1 is basically equivalent to PDF 1.7. There is no PDF 1.8. Adobe has published a document describing extensions to ISO 32000.1. supported by Acrobat 9, Reader 9, and LiveCycle ES 8.2. These extensions are primarily to support interactive features, and AFAIK, there are none that affect the imaging model.

Adobe - PDF Developer Center: PDF reference
I'm not going to argue. I was always wondering about the reason influx of cheap pdf writers.

Quote:
If the OP is going to be printing large posters, then as much of the artwork as possible should be created in a drawing program (Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, etc.) and not a paint program. That way the artwork is described as resolution-independent mathematical descriptions (curves and lines) rather than as pixels, and will scale up smoothly to whatever the size of your final output. If the artwork is created as pixels, then it looks worse and worse as the size is scaled up because you've fixed the maximum resolution at the time you created your canvas. Sorry, but the advice to use a paint program to create the poster just demonstrates ignorance.
This is why i said that the image needs to be 300 dpi at final output size. I also said the file will be huge. Ideally a vector program is the way to go. Although Indesign, Illustrator and even quark can now create many of the same effects as photoshop, sometimes photoshop is just the way to go. In these days of cheap 20gb flash drives, size really isn't as much of an issue as it use to be.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:

That's why I suggested asking the printer what they wanted, I used to do all my own ads and I didn't have Adobe so I couldn't send them .ai but I had everything I used in my own programs default vector/path proprietary file. Sometimes getting that information was like pulling teeth. I know the printers have to deal with the public a lot so I guess they think everyone is an idiot, all they need to provide is the physical size and the DPI and a standard bitmap image should be fine. Sometimes I wonder if they know what they are talking about becsue my Sister in law used to do some photography for small newspaper here and they would not accept 12MP images because they were 72DPI as if there was some difference between them.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
This is why i said that the image needs to be 300 dpi at final output size..
I know you will understand it but it should be noted without a physical size DPI is irrelevant:

72 dpi:

600 DPI:

Now if you took these two images into a Word document that will scale them to the size of the paper they will be significantly different in size.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
I agree that the OP should bring his designs to the printer. They can scan his artwork and do the separations.

Buying an "easy to use" program that is friendly to the industry sounds easy enough but there is a long learning curve involved.

I don't know what their timeframe is...

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,178 times
Not mentioned, GIMP's Vector brother- Inkscape. Also open source and free...

Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
The Draw application in OpenOffice has a decent set of vector drawing tools, also:

Draw

OpenOffice.org Draw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2024, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Hello! I need to design a few full color posters that will go to print. Can anyone recommend an easy to use graphic design program? I need something that is powerful enough for professional printing purposes but easy enough to learn for a layperson.

Thanks!

Canva might be a good fit! It's an online graphic design platform known for its user-friendly interface and drag-and-drop functionality. It offers a wide range of pre-made templates, stock photos, and design elements, making it easy to create professional-looking posters without needing extensive design knowledge. While it lacks the advanced features of industry-standard software like Adobe Illustrator, it allows exporting designs in high-resolution formats suitable for professional printing. Consider supplementing your learning with a beginner-friendly graphic design courseto gain a deeper understanding of design principles and techniques.

Last edited by ts14; 02-28-2024 at 01:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 08:12 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts14 View Post
Canva might be a good fit! It's an online graphic design platform known for its user-friendly interface and drag-and-drop functionality. It offers a wide range of pre-made templates, stock photos, and design elements, making it easy to create professional-looking posters without needing extensive design knowledge. While it lacks the advanced features of industry-standard software like Adobe Illustrator, it allows exporting designs in high-resolution formats suitable for professional printing. Consider supplementing your learning with a beginner-friendly graphic design courseto gain a deeper understanding of design principles and techniques.

That post is 14 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers