Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM

284 posts, read 986,108 times

Advertisements

I have a 140 gb h/d and after re-installing Vista and nothing else i'm down to 93 gb , i re-installed it because it dropped down to 80 gb not that long ago and was running super slow . Anybody have or had the same issues and have a solution ? Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times
Lower your pagefile setting and your system restore settings. Right click my computer, properties, advanced system settings, then look for the System Restore settings. Lower the % so that less disk space is allocated for system restore. You could also lower your pagefile memory settings, though that won't really free up too much.

Vista doesn't take up that much. Even though you have a 140 GB hdd, that's not the true size. I have a 320 GB hdd, and in windows it shows up as 297 GB. I can't really explain this part, but you can google it as there are many sites that explain how 1 GB doesn't equate to a true 1 GB.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Did the computer come with some sort of recovery partition? For my computer, that's another 7 gigs right there.

Djxpress was getting at the fact that manufacturers use a factor of 1 GB = 1 billion bytes for computer specs, while your computer uses 1 GB = 1.074 billion bytes.

That means for whatever size your computer manufacturer claims, you're really only getting 93% of that.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Does Vista create an "old Windows install" directory that still has everything from the prior install? I know Windows 7 does that. I believe Disk Cleanup can be used to get rid of it.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Lower your pagefile setting and your system restore settings. Right click my computer, properties, advanced system settings, then look for the System Restore settings. Lower the % so that less disk space is allocated for system restore. You could also lower your pagefile memory settings, though that won't really free up too much.

Vista doesn't take up that much. Even though you have a 140 GB hdd, that's not the true size. I have a 320 GB hdd, and in windows it shows up as 297 GB. I can't really explain this part, but you can google it as there are many sites that explain how 1 GB doesn't equate to a true 1 GB.
Thanks will look into this

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Did the computer come with some sort of recovery partition? For my computer, that's another 7 gigs right there.

Djxpress was getting at the fact that manufacturers use a factor of 1 GB = 1 billion bytes for computer specs, while your computer uses 1 GB = 1.074 billion bytes.

That means for whatever size your computer manufacturer claims, you're really only getting 93% of that.
Yes it does but after i re-install Vista it shows 124 gb then from there on it starts absorbing gb's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Does Vista create an "old Windows install" directory that still has everything from the prior install? I know Windows 7 does that. I believe Disk Cleanup can be used to get rid of it.
I'll try this as well Thanks all

Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Yes, it keeps the old Windows data if you reinstall. To get rid of it:

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

In "Which files to clean up" dialog > Click on "Files from all users on this computer".

Select the Drive where your Windows.old is.

In Disk Cleanup dialog, select Previous Windows installation(s) in the "Files to delete" list. Click on OK.

If you still think your disk is still too full and you don't have a recovery partition try using WinDirStat. It will show you what files are taking up space. WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, it keeps the old Windows data if you reinstall. To get rid of it:

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

In "Which files to clean up" dialog > Click on "Files from all users on this computer".

Select the Drive where your Windows.old is.

In Disk Cleanup dialog, select Previous Windows installation(s) in the "Files to delete" list. Click on OK.

If you still think your disk is still too full and you don't have a recovery partition try using WinDirStat. It will show you what files are taking up space. WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics
Thank you will work on it once the kids are a sleep

Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Ran 3 disk clean-up's and rose it up to 108 gb wtf is going on which is close to what is should be being that i have about 5 gb's of family pics , is this something i have to do all of the time to keep it from running sluggish ?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,991,767 times
just download ccleaner and run it once or twice a month

Old 04-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
just download ccleaner and run it once or twice a month
I've been using that for years and it didn't do what disk clean-up did today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers