Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

Do you copy and backup your blu rays? What software have you tried and used and which one is the best?

I just bought a Pioneer 12X blu ray burner from Newegg on sale for $168.48, will get it tomorrow. So I will test it copying my Avatar blu ray disk.

25gb blu ray blanks are now getting cheap enough when on sale. Got a 15 pk of 4x 25gb blu rays for $20 on sale at Fry's.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 06-09-2010 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: deleted links to illegal programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
So what you're asking is, what's the best way to break the DMCA and other copyright laws?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM

I didn't know what DMCA is... So Blu Cloner is illegal for backing up your blu rays?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Commercial disks like Blu ray or DVD use encryption to protect the content from being copied, it's against the law to break the copy protection measures. Probably 99% of the discs produced use some form of encryption so no you can't make copies of them legally.

It's not even a matter of copyright, for example you can legally make backups of software you have purchased however if that disc uses a protection scheme you have to break the law to obtain the copy.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Go to myce formerly known as cdfreaks. They have forums for these types of questions.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Commercial disks like Blu ray or DVD use encryption to protect the content from being copied, it's against the law to break the copy protection measures. Probably 99% of the discs produced use some form of encryption so no you can't make copies of them legally.

It's not even a matter of copyright, for example you can legally make backups of software you have purchased however if that disc uses a protection scheme you have to break the law to obtain the copy.
I think what you are saying about the copyrights and the law are correct, but I don't think many DVD movies are encrypted. Most of them are compressed, making normal optical disk software like Nero or Roxio unable to copy them, but you can open the folders and copy them to a hard disk, for example. I don't have any blu ray so I have no information about them.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
All commercial DVDs are encrypted. Its just that it was broken a long, long time ago and the DMCA makes it a felony to break the encryption even to make a backup copy for personal use.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think what you are saying about the copyrights and the law are correct, but I don't think many DVD movies are encrypted. Most of them are compressed, making normal optical disk software like Nero or Roxio unable to copy them, but you can open the folders and copy them to a hard disk, for example. I don't have any blu ray so I have no information about them.

A compliant DVD contains a VOB file and is encoded using MPEG2 which is nothing out of the ordinary, this is not protected content. You only need a MPEG2 codec installed to view it which is already installed on machines after XP, is installed with player software or from a variety of sources. A disc has to be MPEG2 to be labeled DVD, there is specifications for DVD discs and players that they have to meet to use the DVD label.

This VOB file also contains some information specific to the DVD. As long as it's a home DVD sometimes you can just rename it with .mpg extension so it's recognized as video however the extra DVD data can sometimes cause issues if you just try to play it as data file, to get it off the disc properly you can use something like Vob2MPG which will strip out all the extra DVD data and give you standard .mpg. The video itself is no different than what is on the disc, it's a bit for bit copy with all the DVD junk removed.

Note Vob2MPG only works on home video with no protection, matter of fact you can't add protection to a home DVD because home DVD burners can't burn to the CSS portion of disc and you need to license it.

CSS is used to encrypt the content of commercial DVD's, the key is stored on special part of the disc that is not available on burnable media. You also need a player(which is going to be all of them) that can "shake hands" with the disc so it can be decoded.

DVD also uses macrovision on the analog outputs, this "protection" is just an error in the video stream that Macrovison patented. It will play havoc with any VHS deck, modern recorders like DVD recorders or capture cards look for the MV flag as they unaffected by this and will prevent copying if it's present.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Just got Corel WinDVD Pro 2010 and it plays blu rays on PC well. Just watched Avatar Blu Ray now. I'm happy now that I can watch all of my Blu Rays on PC now. Used to be only regular dvds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers