Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 12,052 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Anyone can gives me advice on buying a condo between Farmington Village in Unionville and Williamstown Court in Newington CT? They are both affordable but I would like to know which one is more desirable in terms of living and selling?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Farmington is a more upscale town than Newington which is more middleclass. Farmington has excellent schools but Newingtons are not bad either. The worst part of Farmington is the commute. Unless you work right in town, getting out or in can be difficult. Traffic on Farmington Avenue is truly bad so keep that in mind. The location in Newington though is a bit more convenient to Hartford but still kind of far from major highways. Unionville is an old mill village that was a bit worn. The new Stop & Shop plus some other planned new developments should make it a lot nicer. Overall, I would say either is good. Only you can decide which is better for you. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM

90 posts, read 209,483 times
I think I can honestly say that either way you go with this will be a safe bet. Both towns are great. Both locations are great. Newington, I think, is a lot closer to "stuff" in general. If you're having trouble choosing, I'd go with the flip of a coin!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Thank you for both of your opinions. I think both are nice too. I just had a hard time finding reviews on these two complexes.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
I can only comment on Williamstown as I am not familiar with Farmington that much. I think Williamstown is a good location in that you have Hartford right nearby and the center of Newington. I grew up right down the street from Williamstown and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. I enjoyed having the side roads for walking/biking, the center of town is in walking distance. The downside, as pointed out above, is it's not super close to highways.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I can only comment on Williamstown as I am not familiar with Farmington that much. I think Williamstown is a good location in that you have Hartford right nearby and the center of Newington. I grew up right down the street from Williamstown and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. I enjoyed having the side roads for walking/biking, the center of town is in walking distance. The downside, as pointed out above, is it's not super close to highways.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate someone's comment like you who lived near it before. Williamstown actually looks pretty nice inside and out. The condo is generous in size too. But its HOA fee is steep. CTGirlNoMore, I vaguely remembered that I read online a while ago about Williamstown going downward. Have you heard of this?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
Honestly, I haven't heard anything TOO terrible, but more to the effect of "there's good and bad everywhere". Does that make sense? They are not HORRIBLE, but probably not an "A+ area". I've actually looked at condos there (not recently though) and they were decent. If I could afford it, I would buy one there. There are 2 areas of it though - one you enter via Main Street and the other you enter via Hartford Avenue. I'm not sure if one area is "more desirable" than the other though.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM

21 posts, read 78,171 times
I do not know your price range, but there are a couple of pretty good condominiums in south west Farmington corner (Farmington Chase Crescent, SouthWest Village and the one on Sonbird lane). This location is close to Bristol shopping area and has a convenient highway access on I84 via Exit 33.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,680 times
Hi dynex:

If you are buying a condo, regardless of the town, I strongly recommend you work with a Realtor. There are many serious issues regarding condos and obtaining financing to buy a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut