Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM

45 posts, read 69,990 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't know former Whalers owner Howard Baldwin has taken control of the Hartford Wolf Pack and re-branded them into the Connecticut Whale. Howard has laid the groundwork for the return of the NHL and the Whale's home opener on the 27th. is the first step. So please if you love the Whalers and love hockey come attend the game. Connecticut hockey has a bright future, if you're able to attend click the link below and press "I'm attending" While you're at it spread the word, invite others, thanks. GO WHALE!

CT Whale Home Opener

Last edited by bobo8192; 11-15-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM

45 posts, read 69,990 times
Go Whale!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,103,272 times
The NHL will never work in Hartford. It wasn't supported before and they were pretty much forced to move. There are way to many Bruins and Rangers fans in the area and in my opinion if you threw another team into the mix that team would always be 3rd option on peoples radar. The AHL makes much more sense for the area. The Whale will still be a Ranger farm team(which brings in the ranger fans) and they will not have the added pressure of selling out the XL center on a nightly basis.
And with Springfield and Bridgeport and providence all playing in the AHL i think hockey is pretty well covered in the area.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,026,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
The NHL will never work in Hartford. It wasn't supported before and they were pretty much forced to move. There are way to many Bruins and Rangers fans in the area and in my opinion if you threw another team into the mix that team would always be 3rd option on peoples radar. The AHL makes much more sense for the area. The Whale will still be a Ranger farm team(which brings in the ranger fans) and they will not have the added pressure of selling out the XL center on a nightly basis.
And with Springfield and Bridgeport and providence all playing in the AHL i think hockey is pretty well covered in the area.
I disagree. The Whalers were one of the best supported teams in the league and that without going all the way! They are actually less supported where they are now.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,195,145 times
I agree with JV,

At least from my perspective, a lot of people saw the Rangers patch on the jersey of the Wolfpack and kind of passed it over almost as if it were an insult.

Karmanos wanted a new arena, and the city and state wouldn't give it to them. Bettmen wanted to expand the NHL south to much worse attendance than the Whaler's could provide. NHL would probably do well here, better than Phoenix and likely Raleigh.

~Cheers

Old 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM

131 posts, read 447,415 times
Gee, I don't wanna be a wise guy...but... I prefer bringing back the New Haven Blades.... unfortunately the days of that kind of blood n' guts hockey in a beer soaked,cigar smoke filled small arena are long gone ...but missed. Why does everything have to go big time and corporate?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,307,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Saint View Post
Gee, I don't wanna be a wise guy...but... I prefer bringing back the New Haven Blades.... unfortunately the days of that kind of blood n' guts hockey in a beer soaked,cigar smoke filled small arena are long gone ...but missed. Why does everything have to go big time and corporate?
Danbury Trashers filled that void for a couple years, until Galante got busted.

As for the Whale - I'd rather see the NHL Whalers back. For the AHL team - I prefer Worcester but I don't follow them at all, just go to a game or two a year there.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 AM

I disagree with the Whalers being well supported, i don't know how many times spur of the moment i drove to Hartford for a game and was able to purchase seats in the lower level. Their games were consistenly blacked out on television and the problem with the arena is still there. And what kind of television revenue are they going to bring in and on what station. NESN carries the Bruins,SNY carries the Islanders and MSG carries the Rangers what regional sports network is left??? And to realisticaly carry a team in Hartford they would most definately have to carry a strong following in WMass. Seeing as Fairfield county is predominetly NYC teams and the Hartford/Springfield metros would at least have close to 2 million people to draw from.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,307,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
And what kind of television revenue are they going to bring in and on what station. NESN carries the Bruins,SNY carries the Islanders and MSG carries the Rangers what regional sports network is left???
Comcast Sportsnet New England? Same network as the Celtics. Could use more for live regional sports.

YES could be a longshot. It carries the NJ Nets, and hockey season doesn't have much overlap with baseball.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind the NHL back in Hartford, I would go to plenty of games but i just don't see the region being able to support another pro hockey team. CSNNE could work but the conflict between basketball and hockey is an issue. YES would also work but i really think that and pro team in Hartford would have to attract the WMass fan base and unfortunately YES is not carried in MASS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut