Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
CMR CMR started this thread

1 posts, read 7,347 times

Advertisements

I moved from East Haven to New Haven about a year and half ago. My car is now registered in New Haven. I have not received any statement for taxes. I went to the New Haven Tax Collector to get a print out and was told they have no record. I called East Haven Tax Collector and they also have no record.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do???

My friends told me not to worry about it and let them catch up to me but I am afraid of getting slammed with 2 years worth of taxes and late fees. Or worse getting my car taken for not paying taxes.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM

49 posts, read 68,521 times
It's based on where the car was registered on Oct 01, 2006. If you do wait, the next time you try to register a vehicle you will not be able to until you pay the taxes, plus interest. I've experienced this myself. I would get in touch with the DMV since they have the registration information.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
My wife got caught with taxes in a town she lived in 5 years after she moved out. The system is not very good but they usually do catch you. were you paying taxes in East Haven? Jay

Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM

222 posts, read 854,510 times
You need to go to the DMV office. Do not wait.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:53 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
You need to go to the DMV office. Do not wait.
I would suggest that you also go to the tax assessor's office in New Haven and East Haven. Have the license plate number with you. The assessors can search by tax payer's name, vehicle description, marker (plate) ID, and bill/list number.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM

86 posts, read 380,753 times
I wonder why CT can't have a flat tax rate like they do in Massachusetts with their excise tax?

I think that it would eliminate possible hassles if one were to move to another city/town.

Don't know how doable this is.

Wasn't there talk of ridding this car tax altogether?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
There was a proposal from Governor Rell last year to get rid of the car tax, but it was met with strong resistance from Lawmakers. It would have meant that towns would lose a source of income and would have particularly hurt the larger cities who could least afford to lose any income. Too bad, the current system is not fair. People driving a Chevy in Waterbury pay more in car taxes than those driving BMW's in Greenwich. Does not seem quite right. Jay

Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
I wouldn't be too surprised if the scenario existed that some people would get turned off into moving into CT because of this tax.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 42,819 times
How about this scenario:

Moved from NY to Hartford, still have car registered in NY (at parents address)...don't want to pay the car tax while living in Hartford (not sure how long I will be here, looking for a place outside the city) especially when the mill rate is like 65...any repercussions of leaving it registered in NY? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 AM

73 posts, read 418,171 times
If you are carrying a NY license, no. If you register your vehicle where you do not maintain your permanent residence, if stopped, the police will ticket you, and far worse, if you should be involved in an accident, you can have serious issues with your insurer.
BTW, I thought the car tax in CT would generally be less than the insurance
premium in NYC. Is that not the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut