Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM

69 posts, read 184,109 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Our plan to move is not based on sailing in fresh water. It is based on high property taxes in NJ ($8000 for me). Over population. Fast pace. Driving stress. Currently we live 5 blocks from the beach on the central Jersey shore. Lovely, but the local population is increasing with many new condo developments. Feels like a rat race here in NJ.

Employment, CT cost of living, location,housing costs, are all being taken into consideration. Just wondering where we could keep and sail our 25 foot boat. Fellow sailors have said the Long Island Sound is great for our boat so it may be that we just keep it at a marina somewhere down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 04:10 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
The micro climate from Clinton to the Rhode Island border is among the mildest in New England. And just some anecdotal information on the climate here- because of climate change; the CT shoreline is a USDA zone 7- same as the NJ shore. Which means the lowest temperature in the winter is 0-10 degrees.

Consider Clinton, Madison, Waterford, Niantic on LI and Block Island sound, the towns on the lower CT river with marinas discussed above (Essex, Chester, Deep River and Old Saybrook) and further east; Mystic, and Stonington.

Good luck-

Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Cate - Again, consider the lower Connecticut River Valley twns of Essex, Deep river, Old Saybrook, chester, East haddam and haddam. There is a lot of sailing on the river with access to Long Island Sound if wyou would like. Also, there is access to New York city via the Shoreline Eastt trains to NEw Haven and then the New haven line into Manhatten. this is a beautifull area with sooo much going for it. No rat race feel at all. Think about it. Jay

Old 07-20-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
The lower CT River is nice, but the water (and weather) on the Sound is probably a little colder than it is in NJ and points south.
Most all of the woodsy places downstate also have a lot of ticks and mosquitos. Unlike living in a city, a person needs to stay inside a screened-in porch at night.
Sometimes slightly higher density living near more people and development has it's benefits.
I hear there are 'ticks and mosquitoes' in the lower CT valley and shoreline.
Does New Jersey not have mosquitoes?- and neighboring Delaware has the most cases of Lyme disease on the east coast.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:05 AM

73 posts, read 418,171 times
There is some of everything on the lake...as I'm not a boater, I can't really tell you whether it's what you describe...it's a big lake...suggest you visit area one weekend...see lake, surrounding towns,river,dockages...and in the evening...sample restaraunts...there are many good B&B's dotted throughout the areas mentioned...

Old 07-20-2007, 07:29 AM

69 posts, read 184,109 times
The insect factor is an interesting one that I had not considered. On the NJ shore where we live there are very few mosquitos, practically none. HOWEVER...when we do an overnight on our boat in Barnegat Bay on a summer night with little wind...it's a major attack around sunset.

The Clinton, Essex area looks beautiful and we will be sure to check it out along with the northern Fairfield area. We are two years out from making a move, so we have time to explore. My parents live in Simsbury (where I grew up) so we have a place to stay when we need it.

I have been working as a trainer in pharmaceuticals down here in NJ and will be looking into Boehringer Ingelheim in Ridgefield. My employment opportunities will have a big impact on where we eventually land...unless I can work remotely for the majority of the time. Would love to be in the eastern section of CT and work remotely (with Citronella on hand)

Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
The insect factor is an interesting one that I had not considered. On the NJ shore where we live there are very few mosquitos, practically none. HOWEVER...when we do an overnight on our boat in Barnegat Bay on a summer night with little wind...it's a major attack around sunset.

The Clinton, Essex area looks beautiful and we will be sure to check it out along with the northern Fairfield area. We are two years out from making a move, so we have time to explore. My parents live in Simsbury (where I grew up) so we have a place to stay when we need it.

I have been working as a trainer in pharmaceuticals down here in NJ and will be looking into Boehringer Ingelheim in Ridgefield. My employment opportunities will have a big impact on where we eventually land...unless I can work remotely for the majority of the time. Would love to be in the eastern section of CT and work remotely (with Citronella on hand)
Pleased that you decided to consider eastern CT

The bug problem is greatly overstated. Considering the cold season here is more then areas to the south is ample enough evidence that the problem is not extreme.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 15,459 times
I found your post very challenging. I agree with most of the others who responded to your post, with this one exception - sort of. Instead of setting your priorities around your present boat, why not look at the place, the people, and the lifestyle first. These things are of paramount importance, and once chosen, cannot be easilly changed. A boat, on the other hand, can be very easilly changed. In fact, as far as sailboats are concerned, right now, it is a buyer's market. I sometimes wonder if it might not be cheaper to find the place to live, and buy another boat, than it is to move a boat to an inland body of water.

I am an African American, and I try to be sensitive to the attitudes which prevail toward Gays and Minorities in various communities.

In my opinion, Connecticut coastal communities, especially those in or near cities offer a more open attitude toward Gays and minorities than do the more provincial northern suburbs, although this may not be true about sophisticated professionals found everywhere. I believe that in some parts of Connecticut, the atmosphere of elitism casts its shadow over considerations of merit regarding Gays and minorities.

Candlewood is one of the extremely rare bodies of fresh water in Connecticut that MAYBE can provide sailing opportunities. I've spent a lifetime on the waters of Long Island Sound, and presently have a 26ft sailboat there. (My winter home is Charlotte, NC). I have lived practically all of my many years in CT and cannot recall anyone raving about the quality of sailing on Candlewood. Lake Waramaug does offer pretty good sailing for small boats. (I have sailed a Snipe on this lake many years ago).
I hope that my comments don't sound too negative. It's just that because of my advanced age, I tend to give more advice than requested .
Best of luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,419 times
WOW! A lot of great posts go before mine! Ocean Grove is a very special place to live ~ your points for moving are well taken, in spite of how special a place it is...sometimes we are just ready for a change. I live in central NJ myself - I grew up summers in New Fairfield, CT and went daily to Candlewood Lake - I'm not sure, but I would think your boat is too big for that lake - but again, you'd have to check that out. What I really want to throw in this pot of opinions, is that I recently visited Candlewood Lake area a couple times, and on the surface, the clientelle and physical area seem to have gone downhill - the town of Danbury also (always a good town, especially the yearly Fair)...I can't see your liking this environment over Ocean Grove...Now, New Millford or anything else near Litchfield (Martha Stewart's town?) is another story ~ lovely areas to live in. Good luck in your (well-organized) search! Just my thoughts...sorry if I've contradicted or offended anyone, but I am familiar with where Cate is coming from and where she's considering.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
cate - We were down in the lower Connecticut River Valley this afternoon and I noticed a number of large sailboats on the river there. I might be just the area you are looking for. It was so beautiful. Pfizer is in Groton and Bristol-Meyers is in Wallingford, all commutable locations from the area. Again, just a suggestion, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut