Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM

35 posts, read 879,243 times

Advertisements

Thanks nep321. That does sound like something is wrong with this society's warefare system... Housing, childcare, and medicals are the most expensive cost of living, so when they have these all covered at no cost of their own, I see why they have money to get things that a lot of hardworking middle class will think twice about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannysw View Post
Thanks nep321. That does sound like something is wrong with this society's warefare system... Housing, childcare, and medicals are the most expensive cost of living, so when they have these all covered at no cost of their own, I see why they have money to get things that a lot of hardworking middle class will think twice about...
There are some people who legitimately need help with housing. Unfortunately, the system is abused by many.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Default I totally agree that there are people who truly need help and they should get help..

Screening should be more strict so it can be fair to everyone though, so those who truly need help will get the help they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There are some people who legitimately need help with housing. Unfortunately, the system is abused by many.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
"Screening should be more strict so it can be fair to everyone though, so those who truly need help will get the help they need."

Nobody, except for the disabled perhaps, needs help all of their life. And yet there are people that have been on Section 8 or living in the projects their entire life. Sometimes for multiple generations. It's absurd. Section 8 and welfare should be as temporary as unemployment insurance.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Ugh. Can anyone educate me what is tenant section 8? And in particular, what is so hard about evicting the tenants (especially in CT)? If the law is not banning winter eviction, then what is so difficult, is it about certain type of tenants?

Section 8 is a program where the state pays the lions share of the rent. I had one of them when we bought our house & thought it would be great since the money was always there. But, their check didn't cover 1/2 of my mortgage and was 25% below similar units in the area. We tried to raise it but the state wouldn't allot it to be raised enough that she wasn't costing me money each month. At the time the rent was $700 but the unit cost us $950. Even besides that it wasn't working because she thought it was her house. SHE decided to move (thank God) and the state gave her a voucher for up to $1,200 a month to look for a new place. Retards, I only wanted $1150 and woulda took $1000.

Anyway its so hard to evict because CT is a liberal paradise, or cesspool depending on a persons opinion. Even if they simply stop paying rent it'll be months before the proceedings are finalized & then they usually have a month or more before they must vacate.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,480 times
I am on my 3rd eviction after taking over my Dad's properties after he passed on. I could tell you some pretty good stories. But to stay on topic. Anytime there is a missed rent payment after 10 days you need to file at the housing session courts and marshall to begin eviction proceedings. Don't delay!!! I have one tenant eviction case to be heard this wednesday. I started eviction first week of February, as rent was due the 19th of previous month. There are no restrictions on eviction, especially for non-payment of rent. Even if you win in court the tenant can still stay if they pay all back rent within 5 days up to 3 months by paying the court. In the end they still have to leave. Usually my experience is that they make up some excuse as to why they don't pay the rent and shrug their shoulders. Problem is as the landlord I am out on rent and it sux as they usually just leave. Of course the place is usually trashed as well. What's my recourse? Small claims! Please! Now I have to spend another couple of months with the court system and still not see a dime.

My recommendation for you is to ensure a good long term lease is written. Pay a few dollars if need be to have property manager or lawyer write one up. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM

83,522 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
I have a question for those who are landlords or have had some experience in the past. It is really a low market right now and we haven't had much luck selling our house. So we decided not to sell but rent the houe for 2 years. I have heard quite a few people including our realtor telling us scary stories how much trouble it is to be a landlord. In particular I heard this morning from a colleague that in Connecticut, they don't evict tenants during winter (from Thanksgiving to Easter)?? Is this true?? Are the landlord so poorly protected?

For those who have had some experience, can you also shed some light how to make this renting business a bit easier or secure. I know we need to run credit check/background check on the tenants, but what else we can do to make sure we have a good tenant?
I would change realtors a.s.a.p. Lets put aside the fact that your realtor is doing a good thing and looking out for you...I have no doubt in my mind that was said for money making purposes. The realtor would rather sit on a house for sale than make just $1000 renting it and waiting a year or 2 to list it again. Think about that... she/he would hate for you to rent it, they lose on the big commission.

With that out of the way.... I can honestly say I have had good luck(if you call it luck) with tenants... off top of my head I've had over 15 tenants with multiple properties. No scary stories to share except one that was in NY and it was a transfer sale and he was still under lease.

If the rent will cover the mortgage payment and then some I say rent it for a few years..you'll appreciate the principal balance getting paid down without your money going into it. As far as what you can do aside from credit check....I cant stress enough references from previous locations, family, or friends or even neighbors if you have to. Meeting them a couple times is another good way... PM me if you have any personal questions..

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks Cambium! I really appreciate your response, that is very encouraging.

Just to give an update, we have finally selected a tenant from over 10 applications... I don't know if the rental market is really in demand right now or our house is just too cute to miss, the applications we received are overwhelming. However, I would say 90% of the applicants don't have good credit, so it has been really hard to make a decision. The ones with good credit either has dogs, or are looking for short term lease only, or have a big family... Ugh.. We have done a lot of credit check, reference check, interviews, so hopefully things will work out great with this couple we finally choose. I'm crossing my fingers...

Now we need to put together a lease contract, any recommendation of a contract template that we can use? We will have to make sure we are very clear about what happens if tenants don't pay the rent.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If the rent will cover the mortgage payment and then some I say rent it for a few years..you'll appreciate the principal balance getting paid down without your money going into it. As far as what you can do aside from credit check....I cant stress enough references from previous locations, family, or friends or even neighbors if you have to. Meeting them a couple times is another good way... PM me if you have any personal questions..
We are very much on the same page here, the rent will cover all our cost incl mortgage+tax+insurance, and we will have a little profit (not much just a few hundred dollars), but not bad for a small house. Our interest rate on this house was really low (4%) so we also think it makes more sense to rent than sell with immediate loss, however our realtor strongly disagreed...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Section 8 is a program where the state pays the lions share of the rent. I had one of them when we bought our house & thought it would be great since the money was always there. But, their check didn't cover 1/2 of my mortgage and was 25% below similar units in the area. We tried to raise it but the state wouldn't allot it to be raised enough that she wasn't costing me money each month. At the time the rent was $700 but the unit cost us $950. Even besides that it wasn't working because she thought it was her house. SHE decided to move (thank God) and the state gave her a voucher for up to $1,200 a month to look for a new place. Retards, I only wanted $1150 and woulda took $1000.

Anyway its so hard to evict because CT is a liberal paradise, or cesspool depending on a persons opinion. Even if they simply stop paying rent it'll be months before the proceedings are finalized & then they usually have a month or more before they must vacate.
What a bad story, I'm staying away from section 8 tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut