Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM

23 posts, read 103,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Believe this is a typo
No it is not a typo - it is correct...

100 sqft = 1 square

say for eg. if your roof measures 1700 sqft this will be equal to 17 sqaures

so it would be $400 * 17 = $6800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM

487 posts, read 536,445 times
My reading comprehension failed me that day

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 16,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I'm trying to get a ballpark figure for getting roof replaced for a 2 story 2100 sqft house in Middlebury, CT. Has anyone replaced theirs recently?

I know there are lot of things to be taken into consideration like (height, sqft, pitch, type of shingles.. etc).. but just trying to get a ballpark..

Also I would like to know advantages and/or disadvantages of laying the new shingles over the existing old shingles (Go over).

Also please let me know which one is preferable - go over or rip off the old shingles and put the new ones.

Please advice.

We have a 1200 sqft foundation raised ranch (a few towns west of Middlebury).
Replaced the roof 2 years back.

Got quotes from Home Depot (around $13,000) and a couple of other roofers ($8,000-$10,000) to install GAF lifetime warranteed shingles.

A local installer Chris from C&C Roofing & Copper Works (203-270-9056) did it for $5,000 including fixing the gutters.

He came with 2 assistants in the morning and finished the job in one day. He left some extra shingles for future repairs too.

I am not related to the company in anyway. Just a very satisfied customer. With the cost and professionalism. Every other quote we got wanted to charge a couple of thousands for gutter repair. He was the only one to say that Aluminum gutters do not need to replaced and they just needed to be reattached properly.

Worth giving him a call...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM

547 posts, read 774,765 times
Default Any Updates on This

Possibly looking to get our roof done within a year and was wondering if any other people have had their roof done recently and what type of quotes/companies did you get them from.

I have a relatively small (1080 sq ft) cape with average pitch...so If I am calculating this correctly, it would be 1/2 my total square footage (about 500 sq ft) which means it would be about 5 squares?

Also, looks like I already have 2 layers on there...I shouldn't try to put another layer on there correct? It would have to be a complete tear off and replace.

Would adding skylights raise the price significantly?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Possibly looking to get our roof done within a year and was wondering if any other people have had their roof done recently and what type of quotes/companies did you get them from.

I have a relatively small (1080 sq ft) cape with average pitch...so If I am calculating this correctly, it would be 1/2 my total square footage (about 500 sq ft) which means it would be about 5 squares?

Also, looks like I already have 2 layers on there...I shouldn't try to put another layer on there correct? It would have to be a complete tear off and replace.

Would adding skylights raise the price significantly?
I know someone that just had a cape reroofed in Fairfield. It is a little large than yours and had two small dormers, a small back porch and a front peak. It also had two layers that had to be removed. The price was $5,800 which was excellent. They did a very good job and cleaned up after themselves so they were pleased. The company is out of Shelton but I don't remember the name offhand. I could find out and let you know.

As for the skylights, they can be tricky. Definitely do them with the roof. I am guessing $2,000 or so each. Jay

Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know someone that just had a cape reroofed in Fairfield. It is a little large than yours and had two small dormers, a small back porch and a front peak. It also had two layers that had to be removed. The price was $5,800 which was excellent. They did a very good job and cleaned up after themselves so they were pleased. The company is out of Shelton but I don't remember the name offhand. I could find out and let you know.

As for the skylights, they can be tricky. Definitely do them with the roof. I am guessing $2,000 or so each. Jay
Bert falsetti?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,073 times
I think its illegal to put more than 2 layers on the deck in CT. Im not positive though

My older brother is a roofing contractor. Ive done a bunch of jobs for him and have worked at a very respected roofing company in New Haven.

I know when you want a roof ripped off, they charge for every extra layer on so that adds to cost. People that are on a tight budget but need a roof will go over existing shingles. Its not bad to do it but its up to the roofer if he thinks its in decent enough condition. It will be a lot cheaper if you go over existing shingles because you dont need to rip anything or get a huge dumpster or take extra days for cleanup.

Most roofers will prefer that they get the roof down to plywood, my brother is a perfectionist so he wants the deck to be completely flat so the shingles will be nice and straight with no bumps anywhere.

they also round up in squares too, they need to have extra to make up for shingles that get cut on the edges, and when they do hips and valleys. so dont be surprised if your roof measures 20 squares and they quote you for 25.

sky lights are expensive and the regular ones that are sold (velux) are a bit cheap and dont last, they arent built like they were 30 years ago. most people just have them removed. It depends though on who installs them.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Bert falsetti?
I didn't know he did roof's too... he did our siding and windows and was fantastic. I've recommended him to a bunch of people on here over the past few years.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:16 PM

399 posts, read 850,899 times
Default Roofer Rec's

Hey guys,
Need some roofing work done in Fairfield (a few leaks, a lot of sagging). I saw some recommendations from a while back for C&C and also Bert Falsetti. Any updates or more recent thoughts? Not looking for a full redo, half the house was done about 10 years ago. Looking for someone to fix the area over my kitchen, and also re-insulate and sheetrock where the water caved the ceiling in...

Thanks...

Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
I used Advanced Roofing in Wilton after the 2010-11 winter when we had ice dams backing water into our house. We replaced the roof on the backside of our house. They were first class and did great work. They also fixed a hole in our roof courtesy of Irene. I've been very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut